Official Review: The World's First Tooth Fairy...Ever: The Adventures of Abella and Her Magic Wand

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso by Z. D. Boxall

Official Review: The World's First Tooth Fairy...Ever: The Adventures of Abella and Her Magic Wand

Post by KristyKhem » 08 Jan 2019, 13:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The World's First Tooth Fairy...Ever: The Adventures of Abella and Her Magic Wand" by Zane Carson Carruth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The World’s First Tooth Fairy…Ever is a delightful storybook for children. It was written by Zane Carson Carruth. The story focuses on a little fairy girl named Abella who lives in Tulip Hollow with her family. As per the fairy traditions, Abella and her friend, Darcie, must receive their magic wands from the fairy master. The excited girls fly off to practice using their new magic wands as soon as they are placed in their hands. However, Abella soon realizes that magic can be used to do good things as well as naughty things.

I loved reading this book. The text to picture ratio was cohesively placed which made the layout easy on the eyes. In addition, I found that the font’s size, color, and style was very suitable for a children’s story. Moreover, I saw no errors in this book which led me to believe that it was professionally edited. The illustrations took up the most amount of space on each page, but they were fun images to look at. Many different colors were used, and the character’s facial expressions were engaging. Kids will really enjoy staring at the pictures in this book.

Friendship and helpfulness were the two main lessons that were portrayed in the story. Darcie was an amazing friend to Abella. She encouraged her to apologize to her brother after Abella made a magical mistake and ruined his game. A little animal was also saved when Abella magically helped it avoid danger. I think that youngsters will benefit from reading about these positive lessons, and perhaps they will emulate them in real life.

This was nearly a perfect book, but unfortunately, I discovered a huge flaw. The title of the book clearly sets up the reader for a story about a tooth fairy. There was even an image of a tooth on the cover. Furthermore, the last line of the first page was, ‘Abella was known everywhere as the fairy that started the tooth fairy tradition’. However, apart from these features, there was nothing about tooth fairies in the rest of the book! The book's subtitle, 'The Adventures of Abella and her Magic Wand' should have been the book's main title. Needless to say, I was disappointed that the story left out any tooth-fairy related shenanigans. Therefore, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I only deducted one star because, besides this flaw, the story and illustrations were wonderful.

This book will most appeal to youngsters who enjoy reading about magic and fairies. Children under the age of five may not understand all of the words in the book, but they will certainly enjoy looking at the illustrations. This is also a great book for parents and teachers to read aloud to kids.

The World's First Tooth Fairy...Ever
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss » 14 Jan 2019, 06:15

This was nearly a perfect book, but unfortunately, I discovered a huge flaw. The title of the book clearly sets up the reader for a story about a tooth fairy. There was even an image of a tooth on the cover. Furthermore, the last line of the first page was, ‘Abella was known everywhere as the fairy that started the tooth fairy tradition’. However, apart from these features, there was nothing about tooth fairies in the rest of the book! The book's subtitle, 'The Adventures of Abella and her Magic Wand' should have been the book's main title.

I don't think this is nice! I also thought from the cover that this is the story of the very first tooth fairy.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 14 Jan 2019, 09:29

The story still sounds interesting despite the fact that children aren't really getting any tooth fairy adventures. I think it would still appeal to young girls who enjoy being fairies or princesses. It's not for me as I'm way over that age. Still, thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

MsTri
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 391
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: The Teddy Bear Chronicles by Donnalyn Vojta
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 14 Jan 2019, 11:09

kandscreeley wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 09:29
The story still sounds interesting despite the fact that children aren't really getting any tooth fairy adventures. I think it would still appeal to young girls who enjoy being fairies or princesse. Thanks for the review.
Agreed! And since I never really grew up, I'd love to read it just for myself.

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 14 Jan 2019, 17:51

Sounds like an interesting story for kids. However, I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Post by kdstrack » 14 Jan 2019, 21:38

This sounds like such a fun story! I love the name of the place where they live, Tulip Hollow. It's too bad about the misleading title. I would like to read it anyway. I'll just follow your suggestion of focusing on the subtitle! Thanks for a fascinating review.

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:

Post by KristyKhem » 15 Jan 2019, 10:09

kandscreeley wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 09:29
The story still sounds interesting despite the fact that children aren't really getting any tooth fairy adventures. I think it would still appeal to young girls who enjoy being fairies or princesses. It's not for me as I'm way over that age. Still, thanks for the review.
I agree, its still a lovely story for little girls :)

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:

Post by KristyKhem » 15 Jan 2019, 10:12

kdstrack wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 21:38
This sounds like such a fun story! I love the name of the place where they live, Tulip Hollow. It's too bad about the misleading title. I would like to read it anyway. I'll just follow your suggestion of focusing on the subtitle! Thanks for a fascinating review.
Tulip Hollow sounds really enchanting, doesn't it? It reminded me of the Enid Blyton books!

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal » 15 Jan 2019, 14:56

How unfortunate! I was loving the educational message in the book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 16 Jan 2019, 13:56

Too bad about the lack of tooth fairies. This still sounds like a cute book though, and it sounds like book my niece would enjoy.

Goldencheese3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldencheese3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Goldencheese3 » 09 Feb 2019, 03:48

The world of magic fascinates me, right from when I was a kid. So, seeing a book that promises to offer tales of magic not only gives me the goosebumps but also takes me on a pleasant ride of deja vu.

Return to “Children's Books”