Review by DC Brown -- Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
DC Brown
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 306
Currently Reading: The mystery of Ruby's Sugar
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by DC Brown -- Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by DC Brown » 13 Oct 2018, 10:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "Betrayal in Blue" by Mark M. Bello.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Betrayal in Blue by Mark M Bello is well written with an interesting storyline and lots of action. What more could you want from a book? Great investigative work? Got it. Drama in the courtroom? It has that, too. Though it's listed as part of a series, it's a perfect stand-alone book.

The action centers on Jack Dylan, a captain on the Dearborn police force. Information from the dark web indicates that Dearborn is being targeted by white supremacists, and the attack will involve Sarin gas. As the situation develops, Jack and his men identify the terrorist's plan to steal the gas. The FBI steps in and takes over the investigation, then botches the arrests of the perpetrators. The one terrorist that gets away is the leader of the gang. Jack is obsessed with finding this man to prevent further threats. The rest of the book hinges on what happens when Jack finds him.

Betrayal in Blue is a good crime thriller. It is engaging from the very first page and hard to put down. The author shows great skill in drawing the reader in. Suddenly one finds oneself hoping for a good result of the take-down, of the lab tests, of the trial. It becomes disappointing when things happen in a way that does not favor the main character. There are unexpected twists in the storyline that blindside the reader!

Something I noticed as I read was distracting. There are some typographical errors. In Chapter four, one quote mark is red, one is backward, also in Chapter 32 quote marks are incomplete. In Chapter 12 a paragraph is indented for no discernible reason. In Chapter 24 the indentation of quotations in the conversation is not consistent. In Chapter 17 the coffee shop is identified as Kilwins, then the ice cream shop is identified as Kilwins. Later the coffee shop and the ice cream shop are mentioned as different establishments. Perhaps one needs a different name. Those are minor points, they don't change the excellence of the author's work. They were just annoying.

I would give the book 3 out of 4 stars. Yes, it's a very good book. But I felt it should've ended after part three. Part four was a huge stretch of the imagination. I don't want to put a spoiler in here, so let's just say that, to my mind, there was no way that was going to happen. Though it was a thrilling ending with a lot of suspense, it's enormous implausibility did toss out a few of the good things I was thinking about this book and this author in general.

Betrayal in Blue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DC Brown's review? Post a comment saying so!
take warning: of making many books there is no end...Ec 12:12

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”