Official Review: The Wings of Dawn by Louise Scarmato

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 636
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Joker's Fool (Satan's Devils MC) by Manda Mellett

Official Review: The Wings of Dawn by Louise Scarmato

Post by JR Mercier » 11 Jul 2018, 17:04

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wings of Dawn" by Louise Scarmato.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


The war of equality was won, but the spirit of those courageous and intelligent women died on the battlefield.


The Wings of Dawn is a necessary read for women of the 21st century. After centuries of oppression, we have finally gained freedom. We have also abandoned what it means to be a “woman.”

I read The Wings of Dawn twice. I am 19 years old and I grew up knowing that one day, I would be allowed to vote. I could go to school and was allowed to do anything my male counterparts were allowed to do. I also grew up looking down on housewives and women that chose family over their careers. I even looked down on women for wearing pink. Why? Because being feminine is considered weak. How ignorant is that?

This book vocalized all the thoughts that I have been trying to ignore for the last couple of years. What is so weak about being feminine? Why do I have to act like a man to be considered equal? Why are we judging women for being women? Who are my daughters going to look up to?

The Wings of Dawn is a book I would want my daughters to read. The author fills this truthful read with an abundance of quotes from the women that changed history. Harriet Beecher Stowe, Gertrude Stein and Belva Lockwood to name a few. The writing is filled with passion and as I was reading, it felt like all these remarkable women were at my back, encouraging me to run toward the rising sun. The beautiful writing, coupled with a profound message, had such an astounding impact that I was left reeling.

Another thing I absolutely loved was that the author did not once lay any blame at the feet of modern men. Instead, she encourages the reader to think about what the world, especially the media, is trying to portray us as, and to let the enlightenment come from within. She also speaks about women in power using the ‘movement’ to further their own ambitions, instead of using that voice to build a platform for women.

The Wings of Dawn features stunning evocative writing that captures how profound our history is, and how proud we should be. There were no typos and the book is very clearly professionally edited. The only minor problem I encountered was the slightly confusing format, with one run-on read. Fortunately, because this is a short read, it didn’t hinder the reading much.

I rate The Wings of Dawn 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to all women, which I knows sounds really vague but trust me. This is a brilliant read filled with messages that need to be heard, coupled with some harsh truths. We do not need to act like men to be equal. Tradition is not your enemy. Strive to be the type of woman that you can be proud of and remember we need to listen to ourselves and not the media, or the accepted standard.
Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door.
-Emily Dickinson
******
The Wings of Dawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
davidcoin
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Jul 2018, 10:00
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by davidcoin » 14 Jul 2018, 05:29

The irony of life is when you see yourself less equipped than the opposite sex.If you have self confidence and know your worth gender equality shouldn't limit your strife for greatness in life.Therefore the book The Wings of Dawn is a book for everyone.

User avatar
Espie
Posts: 584
Joined: 05 May 2018, 06:36
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 14 Jul 2018, 05:32

Age is just a number, indeed; you've got much wisdom that someone who's decades older than you are, like me, could also hope for. I agree that harmony doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be the exact replicas of each other, if that's even possible at this point; peaceful coexistence could also be achieved by respecting each other's uniqueness. Thank you for such an insightful review. Well done.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 636
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Joker's Fool (Satan's Devils MC) by Manda Mellett

Post by JR Mercier » 14 Jul 2018, 06:22

davidcoin wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 05:29
The irony of life is when you see yourself less equipped than the opposite sex.If you have self confidence and know your worth gender equality shouldn't limit your strife for greatness in life.Therefore the book The Wings of Dawn is a book for everyone.
It's a sad reality that most women feel the need to prove themselves 'above the rest'. I am guilty of doing that. Confidence like that comes with age and a lot of mistakes, and while I would like to believe a lot of us are there, myself included, I know that we also struggle with the things we have been taught. Little phrases like 'you throw like a girl' and so on have an effect. It creates little cracks in that confidence.
We shouldn't be acting like the opposite gender to prove out worth. Just like men have their own uniqueness that makes them essential, so do women.
Thank you for the comment.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 636
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Joker's Fool (Satan's Devils MC) by Manda Mellett

Post by JR Mercier » 14 Jul 2018, 06:24

Espie wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 05:32
Age is just a number, indeed; you've got much wisdom that someone who's decades older than you are, like me, could also hope for. I agree that harmony doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be the exact replicas of each other, if that's even possible at this point; peaceful coexistence could also be achieved by respecting each other's uniqueness. Thank you for such an insightful review. Well done.
I hope that this message will spread, that being a woman who stays home with the kids or likes pink and girly things is not wrong or 'less'.
I still have a lot to learn but thank you so much. :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
Eryn Bradshaw
Posts: 228
Joined: 27 Mar 2018, 19:04
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw » 14 Jul 2018, 07:00

I might have to pick this book up. I think that as a woman trying to be successful in a male-dominated line of work, it can be hard to remain true to femininity. I often find myself wondering if I should drop my usual demeanour to appeal to more men and a larger audience or stay true to who I am. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

User avatar
Bonnie Shelby
Posts: 334
Joined: 12 May 2018, 20:07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby » 14 Jul 2018, 10:51

Wow, amazing review! You seem to be able to pick out the best kind of books, and I love how you add the most relevant quotes to your reviews. I will definitely be looking into this one, as it seems to have a very powerful and important message. Thanks!

User avatar
Cecilia_L
Posts: 930
Joined: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Brooklyn Salt by James Scorzelli

Post by Cecilia_L » 14 Jul 2018, 21:18

I love everything you wrote about this book. Also, I've read several of your reviews and I'm very surprised you are 19--you really are wise beyond your years! Thanks for the inspiring review. I'm adding this to my bookshelves.

User avatar
Espie
Posts: 584
Joined: 05 May 2018, 06:36
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 16 Jul 2018, 01:19

JR Mercier wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 06:24
Espie wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 05:32
Age is just a number, indeed; you've got much wisdom that someone who's decades older than you are, like me, could also hope for. I agree that harmony doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be the exact replicas of each other, if that's even possible at this point; peaceful coexistence could also be achieved by respecting each other's uniqueness. Thank you for such an insightful review. Well done.
I hope that this message will spread, that being a woman who stays home with the kids or likes pink and girly things is not wrong or 'less'.
I still have a lot to learn but thank you so much. :tiphat:
I think the decision and profession of being a mother is a very important one, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable.

Being, choosing, or doing something different should not be shunned, indeed, especially if such is fair and beneficial, and not at all to anyone's undue disadvantage.

Complacency and thinking one knows it all would be a mistake; you are on the right path if you are seeking more enlightenment, I believe.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 636
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Joker's Fool (Satan's Devils MC) by Manda Mellett

Post by JR Mercier » 16 Jul 2018, 04:44

Eryn Bradshaw wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 07:00
I might have to pick this book up. I think that as a woman trying to be successful in a male-dominated line of work, it can be hard to remain true to femininity. I often find myself wondering if I should drop my usual demeanour to appeal to more men and a larger audience or stay true to who I am. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
I completely understand what you mean. It's hard to be yourself because there is always something or someone telling you that you need to be a bit less 'woman' or a bit more.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 636
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Joker's Fool (Satan's Devils MC) by Manda Mellett

Post by JR Mercier » 16 Jul 2018, 04:46

Bonnie Shelby wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 10:51
Wow, amazing review! You seem to be able to pick out the best kind of books, and I love how you add the most relevant quotes to your reviews. I will definitely be looking into this one, as it seems to have a very powerful and important message. Thanks!
That is a compliment I will always remember! Thank you so much and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 636
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Joker's Fool (Satan's Devils MC) by Manda Mellett

Post by JR Mercier » 16 Jul 2018, 04:47

Cecilia_L wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 21:18
I love everything you wrote about this book. Also, I've read several of your reviews and I'm very surprised you are 19--you really are wise beyond your years! Thanks for the inspiring review. I'm adding this to my bookshelves.
All these compliments are making me blush :oops: Thank you so much for such a beautiful compliment :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 636
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Joker's Fool (Satan's Devils MC) by Manda Mellett

Post by JR Mercier » 16 Jul 2018, 04:57

Espie wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 01:19
JR Mercier wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 06:24
Espie wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 05:32
Age is just a number, indeed; you've got much wisdom that someone who's decades older than you are, like me, could also hope for. I agree that harmony doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be the exact replicas of each other, if that's even possible at this point; peaceful coexistence could also be achieved by respecting each other's uniqueness. Thank you for such an insightful review. Well done.
I hope that this message will spread, that being a woman who stays home with the kids or likes pink and girly things is not wrong or 'less'.
I still have a lot to learn but thank you so much. :tiphat:
I think the decision and profession of being a mother is a very important one, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable.

Being, choosing, or doing something different should not be shunned, indeed, especially if such is fair and beneficial, and not at all to anyone's undue disadvantage.

Complacency and thinking one knows it all would be a mistake; you are on the right path if you are seeking more enlightenment, I believe.
Being a mother should NEVER be looked down upon. And I hope that we get to a point where being any type of woman, whether traditional or not, is just simply normal.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
Espie
Posts: 584
Joined: 05 May 2018, 06:36
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 16 Jul 2018, 05:00

JR Mercier wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 04:57
Espie wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 01:19
JR Mercier wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 06:24


I hope that this message will spread, that being a woman who stays home with the kids or likes pink and girly things is not wrong or 'less'.
I still have a lot to learn but thank you so much. :tiphat:
I think the decision and profession of being a mother is a very important one, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable.

Being, choosing, or doing something different should not be shunned, indeed, especially if such is fair and beneficial, and not at all to anyone's undue disadvantage.

Complacency and thinking one knows it all would be a mistake; you are on the right path if you are seeking more enlightenment, I believe.
Being a mother should NEVER be looked down upon. And I hope that we get to a point where being any type of woman, whether traditional or not, is just simply normal.
It's better to have an open mind, indeed.😊
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

User avatar
gen_g
Posts: 972
Joined: 22 Apr 2018, 10:31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by gen_g » 17 Jul 2018, 01:58

This is great! I actually did my dissertation on second-wave feminism, which seems to be included in the book's range of topics. I love it that this book makes it more accessible for women to read and learn more, to eventually be able to take charge of their own life. Thanks for the lovely review! (:

Post Reply

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”