Review by dtb -- Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
dtb
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by dtb -- Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by dtb » 11 Jun 2018, 19:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat is the seventh book in the Inca Cat Detective Series by R.F. Kristi. Kristi tells the story of Inca, who goes on vacation with her family to Sri Lanka. They spend the first day at the sparkling beach. Later, they learn that robbers took a sword and gold coins from the local museum. Inca and her animal friends team-up to try to save the artifacts and find the robbers even though they are on vacation and experiencing lots of exciting new things. Inca chronicles their adventures in her diary.

I appreciate the diversity of characters and activities that are included in the story. Inca and her squad take a train ride, visit a tea plantation, and go on a driving safari. They meet a lot of new animal friends such as a sea turtle, a baby elephant, a python, and leopards. They experience cultural differences and learn about Sri Lanka’s lovely beaches and historical sites.

The format, visual elements, and typography of the book are cheerful. The illustrations are amusing and include fun details. I especially liked the one showing Inca dreaming of herself in the garb of royalty because she is being “crowned by angels as the best detective cat on the planet.” Another fun illustration shows a wide-eyed robber as he skulks on tip-toes away from the scene of the crime.

The author includes a variety of useful messages and behavior modeling for kids in the story. One passage, a helpful example of positive self-talk, reads: “Then, all of a sudden, the bright moon came out like a friendly soul, and my courage returned. I told myself that I could deal with this situation.” The story also emphasizes how much Inca values and appreciates her family. They don’t give up on themselves or each other, and they work as a team. The characters cooperate to help others and put their particular talents to good use. For example, even Rani, a little turtle, can help. Rani swims from the beach all the way out to a boat to investigate a clue.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat is meant for kids ages 7-12. In addition to casual reading at home, this book would be great for classroom and homeschool use because Kristi uses some challenging vocabulary words and several very brief mentions of fascinating information about Sri Lanka. These facts spice up the story and provide great prompts for additional research and discussion. For example, we learn that Sri Lanka is home to the oldest living tree known to be planted by a human. Naturally, I had to learn more about that.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat provides ample opportunities to start conversations and engage with kids about the animals, geography, and culture of Sri Lanka. It’s the kind of book that is fun to read but also delivers a lot of interesting facts. It has a variety of wholesome messages for kids and will help parents highlight traits and behaviors that will help them in life.

Serendipity Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dtb's review? Post a comment saying so!

dtb

Post by dtb » 12 Jun 2018, 18:00

I'd love to hear what you think of this book or my review. Please leave a comment.

Nimat87
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Nimat87 » 13 Jun 2018, 09:28

I think I'm beginning to fall in love with books written for children, even though I'm not one. I love the happiness and peace they bring me just through reading. Most of all, you're transported back to your own childhood, when you had no worries at all. I really enjoyed reading your review of this book; it was entertaining to read and comprehensive. Some of the important lessons I understand it teaches are service to others and family values.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

dtb

Post by dtb » 13 Jun 2018, 19:05

I agree with you about children's books. I really like illustrations too, for the same reasons you mention.

Thank you for taking the time to make such a thoughtful comment.

Sarah Tariq
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 15 Jun 2018, 02:19

It's a very interesting and mature story series in the children genre. This book is a good source of information about different cultures. Children would love it. Thanks for your thorough review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

dtb

Post by dtb » 15 Jun 2018, 07:43

Sarah Tariq wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 02:19
It's a very interesting and mature story series in the children genre. This book is a good source of information about different cultures. Children would love it. Thanks for your thorough review.
I agree! Thanks for taking the time to comment on my review.

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Cotwani » 19 Jun 2018, 10:34

Wow! Your review makes me want to run get the book! Such a fun packed adventure that is educational as well has the potential to hook kids onto a reading culture even as adults.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kibetious » 27 Jun 2018, 16:05

This is a nice review. Thanks a lot for it. I also support the idea that kids have a lot of ideals to learn from this book. Specifically, I like the idea of appreciating the family and working together as a team. It is a nice lesson and that is applicable as well.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The dandelion bouquet
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Invisible Realm by Evelyn Louise Dunbar-Webb

Post by kfwilson6 » 05 Jul 2018, 15:08

This sounds like a very well-rounded book. Lots going on. And I've always heard Sri Lanka is beautiful, clean, and a wonderful tourist spot. That is really cool about the tree. I may just have to review this one myself.

Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire » 12 Jul 2018, 07:06

I reviewed another book in the series and I also felt that the book was great for inspiring interest in geography. I also especially like Inca who is a fun character to follow.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”