Official Review: Freedom Is For The Birds by JM Sutherland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Re: Official Review: Freedom Is For The Birds by JM Sutherland

Post by lbhatters »

I enjoyed your review of this book. My mom is a great lover of animals and so it would be a good gift to consider for her, especially with it being told from an animal's perspective. It's a unique angle for adults for sure.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I love these types of books! I am adding this to my read list! Btw, great review!
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

This book relates the life of the birds to human. How? Well the story tells the day to day activity of the birds, the adventure together, the struggle that every family experience and even the love to their family. So this book is really recommendable for all ages.
gigi83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigi83.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by gigi83 »

It seems to be a great book. Thank you for that review. I hope I get the time to read it!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

As much as I do love a good talking animal book, I just don't think this is the book for me; aside from parakeets, I'm not a fan of birds in general, and I definitely do not like hawks, so a plot about birds going on a journey to find or rebuild their home just does not seem like my cup of tea. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.
MichaelFaya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MichaelFaya »

Although it is sounding like a children’s book I won’t be to quick to judge it by the official review. There are many ways the mind can learn about something new, either from a toddler’s approach or from a mature person’s approach. It sounds like a great book that talks about a lot more than one could expect: from surviving to growing to independence; and to think that the writer was just writing about hawks. Sounds like a great book.
Deruirjjfb1
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deruirjjfb1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Deruirjjfb1 »

Freedom is for the Birds is a very intriguing story and is written from the perspective of a hawk family. The story is about their life, about nesting, about nature, and about love and companionship that the hawks have for each other. It is also about creating friendships with unlikely critters and the woes of human destruction. There is an element of hope, trust, and survival among the animals and the humans. I really enjoyed the book right from the beginning. Great read. Can't wait to finish the book!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This story about talking Hawks is definitely something I would read with my kids. I love that it discusses pollution! Congrats on book of the day! Great review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a truly beautiful and calming story for the senses which I must read for the future. 'I believe I can fly.' Great review.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What a fascinating idea for a book-telling the story from the perspective of an animal. Although it's not uncommon to see this in animated film and television, it's not common in books. I like that the Hawks meet a widower bird and become friends. I will definitely keep this book in mind when I'm looking for something completely new to read. Great review!
Anamchara1317
Currently Reading: Killers of the Flower Moon
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anamchara1317 »

At first, I figured I wouldn't want to read a book told from the POV of hawks - that it would just not be my cup of tea. However, I like the idea of sending a message about human's effects on the rest of the living beings. And I think this sounds like a creative and unique way to do it. Thanks!
Akosua +
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akosua + »

I personally don't like books about animals, but reading the sample was astonishing to me how the writer made it appealing to all persons, animal lover or not.
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

I've enjoyed the sample and after reading your thoughtful review l, I am considering this as a future read. In the sample the author also switched to include human characters, e.g. Polly and Ernie, the farmers fighting off developers. This tactic kept me reading and I felt letdown when I reached the end of the sample.
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
richa1706
Currently Reading: What Color Is Your Parachute?
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richa1706.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by richa1706 »

The aspect which will work most in the favour of this novel is that it will appeal to both children and adults alike. Author's effort in the direction of educating readers about wildlife is highly laudable.Not only this book educates but also creates a sense of respect towards mother nature which we very often neglect and take for granted.Overall a good read.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It sounds like the author has found a creative way to communicate a message. I'm interested to check it out for myself. I'm sure I could learn a lot about the lives of hawks as well as about the damage humans cause with pollution. Thank you for an informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”