Classic Literature in Modern Times?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
slj3988
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Classic Literature in Modern Times?

Post by slj3988 »

I'm working on a novella set around either 1800s London or earlier. Possibly Renaissance Italy. Using classics such as Dickens, Stoker, Conan Doyle, Stephenson and Wilde for inspiration, I am wondering what the best way to form the language is. To make it feel authentic, I want to write the story as if it came from that period.

My question is, would such language or structure by accepted by publishers today? Although, it should appeal to modern readers, I don't want it to read in modern language. I want it to feel like something unearthed that could've been published back then. For certain words and terms of phrase to be understood, they might need altering. But there's also the tone of the era. It wouldn't be authentic if I were to censor terminology suited to the time. For instance, Bram Stoker's Dracula has Jonathan Harker refer to folks beneath his station as "peasants." This is something that wouldn't pass today.

Although, it is going to be in 3rd person and less subjective, is there a middle-ground or is it best to avoid writing in that style altogether?

Return to “Writing Discussion”