I Need Help Finding a Book

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
mityeltu
Bookshelf Size: 0

I Need Help Finding a Book

Post by mityeltu »

Ok, I'm new to this forum, so if I'm way off base with my question, I apologize, but my searches on the net have proved to be almost entirely fruitless. Here's the back story. I'm not a voracious reader, but I recently read (in about 3 days - kind of a big deal for me as I don't typically find the time for reading much) The Road. This story and the characters have inspired me to read more, especially as the world is still reeling in the current pandemic. I have searched for books that are about self-sacrifice and a father's love, redemption, that sort of thing. Can anyone recommend any good books that follow that sort of line? I don't care if they're old or new. I just know I really enjoyed The Road and the word painting, like being there. It wasn't life altering, but it was very impressive.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

Aud_Daines

Post by Aud_Daines »

The Road is undoubtedly one of the best novels written in history so it’s hard to even compare other books to it but if you are looking for something with the themes you listed, Beautiful Boy might be down your ally. It is a completely different genre though, different tone and different mood but is mainly about the connection between a father and son and trials that come with it. If you are looking for something a little closer in mood to The Road I might also suggest The Stand by Steven King which is another incredible post apocalyptic novel, (ironically) about a disease that wipes out most of the worlds population. It does have a similar feel of needing other people to get through hard times, and finding a reason to fight for life etc.

mityeltu

Post by mityeltu »

Thank you. I'll check those out. I've heard of The Stand, but not Beautiful Boy. I thought maybe A Canticle for Leibowitz, but I've heard that one is terribly depressing.

EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Post by EmmaZ »

I just finished reading Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman and I feel that absolutely everyone in this world should read it, as its about racism. I don't want to give out any spoilers so I'll just say that it made me question the world around me and I will certainly remember this book for the rest of my life. If I could rate it it would be 11/10.

Return to ‚ÄúPersonalized Reading Recommendations‚ÄĚ