Official Review: Prime Time Crime by Steve Liddick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Official Review: Prime Time Crime by Steve Liddick

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prime Time Crime" by Steve Liddick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It all started with a bang. At least, Prime Time Crime by Steve Liddick started with a bang. Nothing quite catches your attention like an explosion though and I was sufficiently hooked. This book follows Gary Mansfield, a Channel Seven cameraman, and a retired police officer. He walks into an office of chaos and learns that the city attorney has been killed in his home – by a bomb no less. Gary, producer Katt Li, and reporter Bob Richards are shipped off to the scene where they smell more than just a house fire. Maybe it was trouble or something fishy. Either way, it was clear someone was sending a message.

However, Gary can't just let the cops do their jobs, he needs to know more and do more. Accordingly, Gary starts talking to the investigators, generates his own leads, follows the new city attorney, Ms. Hammel, and gets his own confessions from associates of the Russian mob in town. Yet, in doing so, he puts his life and the life of his crew on the line, not to mention the police's investigation. His meddling may cost them the case – or save it – as he learns the truth behind the former city attorney's death.

I wholly enjoyed this book. It was a twist on traditional crime fiction books. Instead of following the investigators, the reader gets to follow a news crew. I really enjoyed this specific aspect as it was different and provided unique views of the case (i.e. how to report on the crime and what they are/aren't allowed to do). That said, since the main character, Gary, is a retired cop and had regular communication with investigators, I still had insight into what the police were doing.

I am also a hopeless romantic, so I was happy to see that Gary had a love interest in the book – Katt Li. From the beginning, I could tell that he had an obvious crush on the short, nerdy producer. When his divorce finally comes through, he gets the courage to tell Katt his feelings. It certainly left my romantic heart feeling giddy. That said, the ending was terribly cliché and almost made me want to cringe it was so cheesy. I didn't like it and think the author could have done better instead of trying to wrap it all up quickly.

Additionally, I was not a fan of chapters four through six. The author deviated from the story to provide background on three characters – Gary Mansfield, Katt Li, and Jerry Harper. It was disjointed and could have been worked into the story differently. Instead, the author took me out of the story to give me background on characters before going back to the story with minimal transition. These chapters could use some work in my opinion.

Overall, I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is for the above reasons and grammatical errors. That said, there were no glaring errors, the story flowed relatively well, and I was interested enough to read until the end. I'd recommend this to others who enjoy the mystery and crime fiction drama, though it was not as suspenseful as others I have read.

Prime Time Crime
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

Garry seems like an interesting, inquisitive and dogged character. If the author can improve on the execution of the story, I know this is a piece I would enjoy.
Thank you for an honest review.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like an interesting crime drama that I look forward to reading. From your review, I think the various problems you described won’t detract too much from a great story. Thank you for your review.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

It sounds like there's a bit of spice in this crime novel :) I like it!

Thank you for such a thorough and well-rounded review :)
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Crime thriller, if well written it hook anybody for more till it is exhausted.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I love crime novels, especially ones that have twists to them. Thanks for the insightful review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
keelin_1127
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keelin-1127.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by keelin_1127 »

This sounds like there are several different aspects of this read to enjoy. Too bad about those ineffective chapters and the grammatical errors though, that would be off-putting to me as well. Thanks for the great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Thank you for the comprehensive and interesting review! I got a gist of what to expect in the book. Appreciate it.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I'm always up for a good crime novel - especially one that offers the story from a different perspective. A pity the author didn't do a bit more effort for the ending though. Thanks for an informative review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Providing background for some characters within the story's flow, without braking the pace, is tricky. Despite that, this novel seems intriguing with its merits outweighing its flaws. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Trust people like Gary to meddle in the affairs of police. This sounds like an interesting thriller. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I love reading crime thrillers as they always hook me to the last page. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”