Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Andie-j
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andie-j.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Andie-j »

Yes I could. Otherwise I would have no one to date.
It is what it is :tiphat:
Abee44sting
Currently Reading: Endgame
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Abee44sting »

Yes I can but fortunately am dating an astute and ardent reader not by my making though. If I was the least I can do is to let her see the benefits in reading.
But it's a good thing to remember that variety is the spice of life. She may also have a virtue that am not really into, so it will be so difficult if not impossible to find who to date, if that is the benchmark of dating.
The crux of the matter is that we all have our point of strength and weakness. That's how life becomes more fun because we will be able to compliment one another.
Techelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Techelight »

dating someone who can not read is a very big problem. how are we going to communicate through text via social network.
Shalynnm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shalynnm »

Could you date someone that doesn’t read? Yes, I could date someone that does not read. It will most likely make their vocabulary less extensive and they will be slower readers but I wouldn’t wanna not date someone just because they don’t read. It doesn’t make that person who they are, they could still be the sweetest person in the world. So yes, I would definitely date someone who doesn’t read just because it’s not big of a deal in a relationship.
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

Yep. I'm married to one lol he reads for information, but it still wouldn't be a book.
YaileneV2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by YaileneV2 »

I think I could but I think i would rather date someone who reads would be so much easier, share your favorite books and talk about why you love them so much and them doing the same thing is such an amazing and sweet bonding experience.
rosemarieldc16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rosemarieldc16 »

umph i dont think so i really love reading books lots of books romance,horror,fantasy and also a children's book so i rather date in someone who love's to read too.
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

A reading partner would be ideal but in the part of the world where I am, there is more to marriage than reading; it won't play much of a role in determining who I'm going to marry.
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

I could date someone who doesn't read, so long as he appreciates my appreciation for it and doesn't try to belittle it the way some people try to do.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I once dated a secondary school English teacher who did read (obviously) but hated discussing books (probably because he would do so many lessons of that every day). It wasn't a huge problem, except for the fact that he didn't really watch films or TV shows and we had different music tastes and no common hobbies... it didn't last very long as we had very little to talk about!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
desareedany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desareedany.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by desareedany »

I am engaged to someone who doesn't read. He used to read he tells me. He read and loved the entire original Harry Potter series. He says it was ruined by an English teacher that wanted his class to read a whole new book every single week and write a paper on it. A week is a little much in my opinion but I get what she was trying to do. My fiance grew up in an area that wasn't even really a town, in a school where he graduated with maybe 10 other people. I think that teacher just wanted to expand the minds of these students because most of them probably never even left or tried to do anything real with their lives after high school. I can deal with my fiance not reading because he listens to me tell him about whatever I'm reading at any given time which is nice.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

I wouldn't mind if a person doesn't read. I guess what I would mind is if a person doesn't have a critical thinking. That might be related to reading but also is a result of education, life experience, etc. Maybe I'd pay more attention to what a person chooses to do with his free time - gym, reading, hiking, learning or partying, watching TV... Improvement vs degradation is what matter.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I dated a guy who didn't like to read a number of years ago and, for me personally, it just didn't work. We could talk about other things, but not being able to talk about books was really sad.
msbeautfl09
Currently Reading: Music Man
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by msbeautfl09 »

Yes, i do think I could :D as a matter of fact, I was just engaged to a man for 13 yrs, and he didn't read books, but he's very knowledgeable on just about everything. So that wasn't an issue at all.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I have in the past and they have let me prattle on about the books I read and sort of nod and smile then divert conversation elsewhere. I would rather date someone who does read though. There is an endless possibility of things to talk about. I enjoy going to book clubs and writing reviews and getting into debates about characters and themes in the books I'm reading. There's a certain energy about it, that makes me happy and content.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”