Origin of Toni's powers

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Origin of Toni's powers

Post by kfwilson6 »

Alena_Surya wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 22:27 Can't the origin of his powers be that he was brought up well? His mom or parents instilled good values and ethics in him.
This is such a wonderful way to explain it. Lovely response. I absolutely agree with this. Good parenting is very important.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

jay_2 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 11:24 I agree with you, but at the same time I’m not sure if I do. Though it would be interesting to learn the origins of his powers, I’m not sure how it would fit in the story. I mean, it’d be cool, yes. But what importance does it have with the book? In all honesty, the origins of his powers are fine by being left out.
I think this is one of those questions that puts too much of an adult spin on what is meant to entertain children. Kids don't need the complexity of a back story. Toni is a young child; he doesn't have much history to share. If he really can fly, has super strength, can hold his breath for 5 minutes or whatever then I would be interested in how he can do those things. But kids probably aren't too concerned about it.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Considering I don't believe that was the author's concept. I do think that's reaching.
Last edited by gali on 01 Aug 2018, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I would have loved to see some additional information on Toni, perhaps something on the origin of his powers, why not? Otherwise, this book falls flat. OK, I agree that it's a good thing for kids to relate to a superhero doing ordinary things but where's that something that would get the book out of anonymity and show me some planning and organization? I expect much more from a book for children.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think that it would be interesting to learn about how Toni got his powers. Maybe the author could state that he was able to develop superpowers by being a super kid.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I'm not sure it's needed in this story. Since the plot centers more around Tony being an everyday kid who just happens to have super powers, the origin doesn't seem like it would add much to me. Perhaps in a sequel, though.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Rosehibbard
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosehibbard.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Rosehibbard »

While I think it's good she didn't state where his powers came from.i also think that it would made the book more interesting if she had.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

kfwilson6 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 08:41 I don't expect much plot or backstory or character development from this series. The blurb for the Toni Likes Vegetables book indicates that his enemy is germs. Makes it sound like we might see Toni brushing his teeth, bathing, and washing his hands regularly. Doesn't seem like he will have what we consider superpowers. I find this pretty misleading. If Toni isn't really a superhero then maybe Base should have said he likes to dress like one or act brave like one. Something like that.
I agree with you about the superhero characterization being misleading if he is never shown to do anything extraordinary. Maybe we are expecting too much from a children's book? All the same, I do appreciate the encouragement for children to do healthy activities.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Since it is a children's book, I think the author has kept the story as simple as possible, thereby omitting any complex explanation of where Toni's powers came from (apart from vegetables). If the book is being read to children by an adult, I would suggest asking them where they thought he got his powers - in this way, their imagination will be stimulated.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I do not think Toni had any real powers. He is just a kid beginning his life. He is a modest kid.
Marcos Vera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcos-vera.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Marcos Vera »

I do not think Toni had any powers. He is a healthy child who goes on helping his parents at home. The book title exaggerates his abilities.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Interesting premise, but I don't think the author would go to that detail for a kids book. The plot would then have to be more elaborate than it is.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It is important to not just know the origin of Toni's powers in the other books in the series, but some of his superhero stunts as well . Otherwise, the title will be misleading.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Naja Saba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Naja Saba »

I tend to differ, Toni did not have any superpowers. He is a kid like any other kid. He just happens to have mastered responsibility at an early age.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas »

Maybe, revelation of his powers would have made the book more interesting. On the contrary, there was no need for that since Toni had no real powers.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”