I just transitioned vegetarian to vegan and need recipes!

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Re: I just transitioned vegetarian to vegan and need recipes!

Post by mandalee519 »

If you have a sweet tooth like I do, try buying some vegan rye bread, spreading almond butter on top, layering up some sliced bananas, and sprinkling hemp seeds and agave nectar on top! Super simple and extremely delicious!!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

just use cereals... they serve the same as meat... greens are boring at times...
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

I nannied for 2 little boys at one time who were vegetarian. My niece is pescatarian as well. She would like to be totally vegan, but for health reasons cannot. I am not but have eaten the diet and learned some great recipes or ways to cook certain things. I am curious about the choice to switch to this diet as I have seen asked here before. My concern is the lack of certain nutrients that your body needs. I have no problem with either, I am just curious I know for some it is religious, some for love of animals, and some just believe it is healthier. I just like to understand why. I know a killer lasagna recipe, well, it tastes great. :) Scott, love the idea of a recipe spot. I hope meat eaters that at times eat vegetarian or vegan can join.
RiverWrites
Currently Reading: Autonomous
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riverwrites.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RiverWrites »

Yay for being vegan! One of my favorite things to make as a vegan is lentils with ethiopian spice mixes. I love using berbere spice with red lentils, and cooking it in the instant pot. Then you can eat it with injera.

I used to run a vegan blog where I added a bunch of my favorite recipes. I ended up using it as my own cook book, so maybe you'll find it useful too. It can be found at Veganminneapolis wordpress.

Otherwise, Kate Fruit Flowers has amazing recipes too!
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

https://vegansociety.com has loads of great recipes. Look under the Lifestyle section. All tried and tested. Tesco's website has lots of recipes too and an amazing sponge cake recipe at https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/vict ... -cake.html

I've been vegan for over 34 years now. I just had a blood test done and my nutrients are all present and correct. I was a borderline low on vitamin D but had just gone through the winter so wasn't overly worried. The doc said to add mushrooms to my diet which was no problem at all. Anyway, there is so much more vegan info and food around now. When I first went vegan we were lucky to find soya milk and margarine in a local wholefood store.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

There are many great blogs and websites - if you do a Google search for specific recipes eg. "vegan cheesecake", or circumstances eg. "budget vegan recipes," you will find almost anything - it is a very different world to when I first went vegan in 2003!

Here are a couple of my favourite blogs:
https://simpleveganblog.com/recipes/
http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/

If you are concerned about getting the best combination of nutrients, (and I am not assuming that you haven't done your research, just offering this as a possibility), perhaps a diet guideline would help start you off? Fitnessblender.com sell a cheap four-week vegan plan, and once you are familiar with a few staple dishes and snacks you can easily customise the recipes to suit your tastes.

Most supermarkets tend to have tofu, plant milks etc. nowadays, but if you have trouble finding ingredients, try HappyCow.net to locate health food shops in your area.

Good luck! I know it is hard at first but it does become a lot easier. :)
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

To make quick vegan chocolate mousse:

Water from 1 can of chickpeas
1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate
1/4 cup syrup

Refrigerate the chickpea water for at least an hour. In a large bowl, whip until fluffy, using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
Melt the chocolate and syrup together in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds.
Mix melted chocolate slowly into the chickpea water, while whipping with the hand mixer.
Pour into a nice container and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until set.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

juliamenez wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 20:51 To make quick vegan chocolate mousse:

Water from 1 can of chickpeas
1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate
1/4 cup syrup

Refrigerate the chickpea water for at least an hour. In a large bowl, whip until fluffy, using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
Melt the chocolate and syrup together in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds.
Mix melted chocolate slowly into the chickpea water, while whipping with the hand mixer.
Pour into a nice container and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until set.
I can't believe this recipe contains chick peas. I am going to try this. The fact that it only contains three ingredients is great. I might use agave syrup for the syrup and some raw chocolate.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jessica Reehl »

I thought I'd share my favorite vegan/sugar free recipe for chocolate pudding. I eat this for breakfast and lunch a lot.
1 avocado
2 bananas, very ripe
2 dates
2 or 3 heaping tbs cocoa powder
Dash of Cinnamon and vanilla
1/2 cup chia seeds
Blend with blender with enough almond milk until you get good consistency
(I also add walnuts and almonds)

Makes about 3 servings
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jessica Reehl »

If you're missing cheese, you need to try nutritional yeast. You can sprinkle it on things you would have put parmesan on and you can make vegan cheese with it.
Lately, I've been on a cauliflower steak kick. You slice the cauliflower into thick slices and fry them in a pan with a little high temperature oil with lots of your favorite spices. I like it with chili powder.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Kareka88 »

I use Pinterest for most of my recipes these days. I love rice or quinoa bowls because you can put most anything in them.
But, my most favorite vegan recipe is Tuscan Bean Soup.
2 (14 oz can) Cannellini or white beans
2 medium carrots
2 stalks celery
4 cloves garlic
3 cups kale
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 yellow summer squash
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 (14 oz can) tomatoes, no salt with added juices
1 quart vegetable stock
1 medium yellow onion
1 medium zucchini
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional for spice)
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar

In large dutch oven over med-high heat, add onions, carrots, celery, zucchini & squash. Saute' for 4 minutes.
Add garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme and rosemary. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir in broth, beans and tomatoes. Bring to boil and turn down heat. Add kale and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Add salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit. Enjoy!
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

If the weather where you are is anything like it is over here - 37 degrees C! - you can make vegan ice cream in a blender with just frozen banana and your choice of flavourings, eg. nuts, chocolate or powder. Basically just chop the banana, freeze it for two hours, blend it and your flavours until no banana chunks remain, and pop just mixture back in the freezer until it's time to eat :)
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Try the Vegans with some Ugali. Believe you me you will enjoy it.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

MerissaFaye wrote: 17 Jul 2016, 21:26 So I just transitioned into vegan from pescetarianism (vegetarian eating fish) and I'm having issues finding good vegan options for food. I want a vegan cookbook or a good website or blogger with good recipes. I'd also love any recipes anyone has! Vegan is so difficult to transition to for me, and it's been a hard 12 days being vegan.

Any ideas are welcome!
Check out Minimalist Baker on Instagram or her blog. She has a lot of great vegan recipes.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

Go on youtube and check out Pickup Limes and Rachel Ama's channel (both vegan), I'm not vegan but I often follow their recipes, they're delicious!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”