Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Hello, fellow readers! I'm fairly new to this kindle world. I always read my books on paper. I've been using my tablet and cell phone with the Kindle app to read and so far I've never had a problem. I find that I prefer reading physical books but the Kindle app is so convenient for highlighting and taking notes. The portability is also very convenient compared to a heavy book. I started wondering about the difference between the Kindle app and the different readers. Also, what is a Nook? Is it some kind of Kindle reader but for Barnes and Noble? Is it compatible with Kindle? Anyone who has Kindle or Nook can give some advice? Should I change the Kindle App for a reader? I heard about the Paper White Kindle and I was curious but is it really like paper? Thank you in advance for your advice!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

I would highly recommend kindle because of the paper like pages and low cost of entry-level devices. The convenience of being able to highlight and comment right on the device is invaluable to me. I personally have the Voyage which is the more expensive $250 model but there is the paperwhite that is very popular and is only $99 (plus you can often get it on sale or get a refurbished one for less). Kindle's can read pdf and mobi and I would recommend the software Calibre which can help you organize your ebook library and also convert files to different formats for different devices.
"There are people who read too much: bibliobibuli. . .They wander through this most diverting and stimulating of worlds in a haze, seeing nothing and hearing nothing." -H. L. Mencken
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

xBibliobibulix wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 20:05 I would highly recommend kindle because of the paper like pages and low cost of entry-level devices. The convenience of being able to highlight and comment right on the device is invaluable to me. I personally have the Voyage which is the more expensive $250 model but there is the paperwhite that is very popular and is only $99 (plus you can often get it on sale or get a refurbished one for less). Kindle's can read pdf and mobi and I would recommend the software Calibre which can help you organize your ebook library and also convert files to different formats for different devices.
What is the difference between the Voyage and the Paperwhite?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

Here is a good article comparing kindles. https://www.techradar.com/news/amazon-k ... e-vs-oasis the biggest differences are the size, physical buttons, and price.
"There are people who read too much: bibliobibuli. . .They wander through this most diverting and stimulating of worlds in a haze, seeing nothing and hearing nothing." -H. L. Mencken
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

Thank you!
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

Buying a Kindle e-reader was one of the best things I ever did. I can download free books or sign up to Kindle Unlimited and get a wider range of free books. I read more. I read more of a variety of books. I don't have 1000s of paper copies of books clogging up my hallway. I also use Calibre to convert other literature to a mobi file and read everything else on it too. I haven't had an experience of the other e-readers but I'm very happy with the basic Kindle. This is my second one. The first one lasted six years.
ladycatsinger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ladycatsinger »

I have 2 Kindles: the original e-reader (called the Kindle Keyboard) that I have had for years, and a Kindle FireHD7 that I bought 4 or 5 years ago. While I still read physical books, when I am out and about I prefer my Kindle. It is light, fits in my purse and I can have my whole library at my fingertips. This is really important for me since I tend to read several books at once, depending on what I am in the mood for at the present time. That would be really inconvenient having to carry a stack of books with me. If you only want to use it to read books and magazines, get the regular Kindle, but if you want to be able to access the Internet, play games and listen to music, go for the Fire. I just wish they would make a Kindle Fire with a non-glare screen. That is one advantage the regular Kindle has over the Fire.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

Book Bear wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 09:53 Buying a Kindle e-reader was one of the best things I ever did. I can download free books or sign up to Kindle Unlimited and get a wider range of free books. I read more. I read more of a variety of books. I don't have 1000s of paper copies of books clogging up my hallway. I also use Calibre to convert other literature to a mobi file and read everything else on it too. I haven't had an experience of the other e-readers but I'm very happy with the basic Kindle. This is my second one. The first one lasted six years.
Thanks! I think I'm more convinced now of buying a Kindle than I was before.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:

ladycatsinger wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 06:48 I have 2 Kindles: the original e-reader (called the Kindle Keyboard) that I have had for years, and a Kindle FireHD7 that I bought 4 or 5 years ago. While I still read physical books, when I am out and about I prefer my Kindle. It is light, fits in my purse and I can have my whole library at my fingertips. This is really important for me since I tend to read several books at once, depending on what I am in the mood for at the present time. That would be really inconvenient having to carry a stack of books with me. If you only want to use it to read books and magazines, get the regular Kindle, but if you want to be able to access the Internet, play games and listen to music, go for the Fire. I just wish they would make a Kindle Fire with a non-glare screen. That is one advantage the regular Kindle has over the Fire.
I think I would be leaning more to the non-glare Kindles. I thought the Kindle Fire would include the non-glare. I guess we can't have it all. It would be cool if they add it as an on/off function.
CJHeigelmann
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by CJHeigelmann »

I believe that a good Android tablet is much more versatile than any one specific type of Kindle tablet. Several free apps can duplicate any function of any ereader, and also uses the kindle app !
Likey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Likey »

I got Kindle e-reader as a present and I'm very happy with it. In general I prefer paper books, however for journeys (and I spend around 3 months per year away from home) it is perfect, saves you a huge lot of weight :).
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I was determined not to buy an e-reader because I love the physical weight and also the smell of paper books but I was bought a kindle for my birthday two years ago and it has revolutionised travel for me! I never run out of books and there is no weight! I find it really easy to use.
Susans659
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Susans659 »

Thank you all for the great information. I was debating whether or not to get a Kindle. Reading the above has really helped a lot!
Bookgirleva
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bookgirleva »

Yes you have all of your books in one place
Bookgirleva
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bookgirleva »

It is also easier to get hard to find books