Overall rating and opinion of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base

Post by Chandler_Greg »

I actually liked that Toni didn't use super powers. I have a nephew who almost always dresses as a firefighter. I accepted that Toni believed he was a superhero without any sign of super powers. I think it also helps the kids reading feel more like him, since he likes all these activities they can also participate in.
Books_4_KThaler
Favorite Book: Kite Runner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Books_4_KThaler »

I rated this book a 2 out of 4 stars. It is a good book for younger readers and a good book to have them start out the reading. The illustrations are cute, but some could say that the illustrations look sloppy. I love children's books and another book about a superhero to help them learn to read is good. I probably would use this in a classroom setting and once or twice with my kiddos, but I think unless my children are into superhero's and enjoy the book before I buy it, I think it would be just another book on the shelf.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I guess by now the winners are almost visible. The book discussion has been lively given that many people had interacted with it before.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The most striking aspect of this book is its colorful illustrations and simple language for the age group of 1 to 4. The book depicts good moral values which children can follow when they grow up. There is no reasonable negative thing in this book. However, the repetition may create monotony for son children who are curious and want to see change on every next page.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Britty01 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 10:18
kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:23
I also think the age group targeted is probably 2-4 year olds, those whose parents are starting to teach them to read. However, the chores that Toni does are not things kids of that age would do. They would do things like pick up their toys. Dusting? I doubt it.

I like the lessons that Base is going for though. I think the idea of using a superhero as a role model for good behaviors parents would like their kids to follow is wonderful.
Children picking up their toys between 2 - 4 is definitely something they should be learning to do. If they do not at least start to learn at that age, when will they? I was a nanny to one 2 1/2 year old and she was pretty good at putting away her toys. She would smile when I said what a good job she did.

Some children even at young ages like to copy mom, or Dad doing small household chores, so why not let them feel they are being helpful. True, they may not make a success of it at first and it can be a little extra work for the parent, but it is a good learning experience as well as a first step towards the growth of a well-developed and responsible person.
I agree with you. 1 to 5 is a learning age for children and they try to copy their elders, especially Mom and dad. So all the habits( good or bad) learnt at this age continue to grow up throughout the life. So this book is an aiding tool to grow up with a positive and healthy habits.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Carly-maricque wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 09:41 There's nothing I didn't like about this children's book! What I liked the most is that it showed Toni doing ordinary things that all children can relate to and it encourages good values (helping around house, reading, healthy eating, etc.). I am a kindergarten teacher and I will definitely be ordering multiple copies of this book for my classroom! This is a perfect book for beginner readers because of the simple repetitive sentences and good picture clues.
It's a very good idea. Indeed it's an amazing learning tool for kindergarten children. Here we see Toni doing ordinary tasks. I think it makes the character of Toni more realistic and easy to follow.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

krnchun808 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 00:50 I rated this book 4 stars out of 4. I loved the concept of the child self image as a superhero figure as he did normal everyday activities. The drawings matched the text. The text was simple and repetitive for beginning readers. The most appealing part of this book was the kinds of extensions that you could create from this book. You culd add more activities that Toni does. You can use this as a model for your child and write your own book. Using another repetitive pharaseyou could also add to what Tomi does. The child could also add drawings to illustrate his/her own book. The book, Toni the Superhero, is a marvelous model for further activities for a very beginning reader. to me, this book is not about plot but about language structure.
No doubt, this book has much flexibility in itself. The author can draw many new extension to fulfill the those requirements which could not be done with the current book. And the parents can also mould it according to the mental capabilities of their children. So it's a useful book by all means.

📕📖📰📓📕
Kz72
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kz72 »

I rate it 5 out 5 beacuse it is so fascinating and i love the cover page its so interesting and catchy children love it by its coverpage ! Very helpful to young parents to teach language and story telling
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

As a big fan of superheroes, I found the story to be really interesting and inspiring.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because it has very well illustrated cartoons and is easy to read and understand I actually had fun reading it.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Considering that this is a bit of a children's book, I had a hard time reading and finding the interest in it. However, the much I did read was impressive and all the illustrations were perfect. So, this book does get my approval of standard of quality.
MA
Raul Fonoseca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raul-fonoseca.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Raul Fonoseca »

To start with, I would recommend the book to children of tender years. Their parents can help with the book reading . That would make the reading process enjoyable.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Kibetious wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 23:44 I guess by now the winners are almost visible. The book discussion has been lively given that many people had interacted with it before.
There are a lot of reviews for this book. With so many reviews there were a lot of unique points made. I saw comments about things I hadn't noticed or really considered.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Books_4_KThaler wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 19:35 I rated this book a 2 out of 4 stars. It is a good book for younger readers and a good book to have them start out the reading. The illustrations are cute, but some could say that the illustrations look sloppy. I love children's books and another book about a superhero to help them learn to read is good. I probably would use this in a classroom setting and once or twice with my kiddos, but I think unless my children are into superhero's and enjoy the book before I buy it, I think it would be just another book on the shelf.
The target audience may be a little young to have been introduced to superheroes before reading. If they haven't, the whole superhero aspect will be irrelevant to them. I guess it depends how early parents are introducing their children to books. Mine will be read to in the womb!
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

book was a very nice book I totally enjoyed reading it. I think what I loved most about the book were the illustrations and pictures used.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”