Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Re: Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Anthony Martial Tata wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 21:56 I hate so much repetitions. They make an otherwise interesting novel sound boring.
Personally, I dislike this too. But for children some word repetition is required. However, in next books the author should add something more i.e. Toni's dislikes, to make the plot more interesting.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
sheeps44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheeps44.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by sheeps44 »

A repetitive sentence can add more importance to what you're trying to convey.
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

I believe this is definitely a learning to read book because of the repetitive nature. A young child who is learning to read I believe will find the repetitive phrases helpful to learning. Books with more complex plot lines are great but following a complex plot can be difficult for early readers.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

CinWin wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 18:36 We are talking about children that are from 1 years old to about 4 years old. They are not old enough to follow a long plot. They like repetition and this book does that wonderfully.
I agree. The book is meant to help a child learn to read. It’s not focused on plot and reading comprehension.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I think, it is dependent on the age of the child.Children below 5 years of age, would love the book even more, because they could master the words and gain confidence.Children above this age might need a traditional plot, but might not be too keen on it as long as they enjoy the story. But generally, I don't really think it matters.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:34 Having simple repetitive sentences in a children's book helps kids learn to read. However, it makes the story less interesting because there is either a weak plot or no plot at all. In this case, there wasn't even steps in the plot such as a character baking a cake from beginning to end. Instead, there were just a different activity shown on each page. Would the lack of a traditional plot make a child less interested or would the child love the book even more because they could master the words quicker and gain confidence?
Children need variety. If they see the same plot or see the same activity from start to end, It may create monotony for them. So I think the author did well by showing different activities of Toni it simple words.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

sheeps44 wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 13:13 A repetitive sentence can add more importance to what you're trying to convey.
You are right , Repetition is required for children at early stages of learning. Though it may create a boredom for adults , it is important for kids.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Christina Rose wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 21:20
CinWin wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 18:36 We are talking about children that are from 1 years old to about 4 years old. They are not old enough to follow a long plot. They like repetition and this book does that wonderfully.
I agree. The book is meant to help a child learn to read. It’s not focused on plot and reading comprehension.
Of coarse, simple repetitive words and colorful illustrations help little children to understand the topic more efficiently and effectively.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

xBibliobibulix wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 16:43 I believe this is definitely a learning to read book because of the repetitive nature. A young child who is learning to read I believe will find the repetitive phrases helpful to learning. Books with more complex plot lines are great but following a complex plot can be difficult for early readers.
And one more thing, repetition help children to learn new words easily, without any difficulty. Whereas complexity may divert their attention from the core topic. Anyways the author can increase the level of complexity through step by step.

📕📖📰📓📕
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

ZenaLei7 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 12:04 I don't think having plots in a children's book, especially one that is a picture book, is important at all since the main purpose of a children's book is for kids to learn how to read. I think kids would enjoy reading books that are colorful and simple to read.
I agree. Sometimes I think we over analyse childrens' books. I know we're supposed to analyse books, this being a book review site n'all. However, simple and bright is often a good way to go with younger children.
NdongaLewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndongalewis.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by NdongaLewis »

The repetitiveness only becomes an issue since now we are no longer children so it becomes quite boring to us. I think, in the mind of a child, he/she isn't really bothered by an interesting plot. The kid might not even notice this. The main point is the child to learn and that's what, in my opinion matters. I however stand guided.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I think children will definitely gain great reading skills due to the repetitive structure, but at the same time I think it will be hard for them to focus while reading the book since it lacks even a simple plot.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

My kids needed a well developed plot, even from a young age. Anything less and they wouldn't stay interested beyond a few pages.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

If the book is designed for showing a bunch of activities, I don't think there is a need to go into much detail. I think if children like a book, they will read it over and over so repetition for the sake of repetition isn't necessary.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

Yssimnar wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 15:00 If the book is designed for showing a bunch of activities, I don't think there is a need to go into much detail. I think if children like a book, they will read it over and over so repetition for the sake of repetition isn't necessary.
This is a good point, I reread all the time as a kid. Repetition may just bore a well-read kid, but it could be useful for a kid who doesn't read so much.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”