Use of Questions

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Re: Use of Questions

Post by Riszell »

It is a children's book, so questions and discussions could be a confusion but I cannot deny that they also have advantages. It may depend on the reader.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Questions would restrict the conversation as it would lead the reader in a certain direction. On top of that the main goal is to teach children how to read which in itself is an important task.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think that's the job of the parent or teacher. Most likely the child at this age wouldn't be reading the book entirely on his or her own. The teacher/parent's job is to guide the student in discussion of the book. I don't think questions from the author are necessary.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

There are truly lots of lessons to learn here like I said in my review. It is for the parent to point out these lessons though. I hope I contributed well because I really didn't get the part of the reader noting lessons.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I don’t think it would hurt to add a question/answer section in the back of the book as an option for parents. That being said, I appreciate the other commenters pointing out that the goal is learning to read, not learning to do chores. So maybe it’s not necessary, but it wouldn’t hurt.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I understand what you're saying, but as soon as you are pointing out what they should be noticing, the discussion with children is lost. Most children do not need an oral prompt to share their likes and dislikes, and this book will provide a valuable push towards them being drawn towards making good choices.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I don't think questions after the book are necessary. I don't believe that was the intent of the author. A teacher or parent could coordinate the questions easily enough if they wanted to.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Questions are a great way to engage the readers especially older children and adults but for this target group which is young kids who are learning how to read,questions maybe a far stretch considering their mental capacity to grasp and interpret content. Even if questions are used the direct questions or multiple choice ones would be preferred.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I think that the idea of questions is a good one but would be more suitable for older readers. For this age, I think the questions are unnecessary in this book. Little ones just learning to read would have their focus on learning the words. The questions might be too much for them to handle at this stage. The parent or person teaching the kids might ask questions of their own accord, if they deem it necessary. I think that kind of approach works best.

At this stage, best to keep it simple I think.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It wouldn't do the book any harm if questions were introduced at the back. It would be left up to the individual to answer these questions.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I don't think that adding questions would improve the book. In fact, although it's been a really, really, really long time since I would qualify as the target audience for this book, I think adding questions might make this too much like a textbook and take away from the pleasure of reading it. The author's goal is to teach children to read. Parents will be with them; they can prompt conversations if they wish.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:13 I think the lessons are meant to be subtle. Sort of a subliminal messaging type of thing, like when a character in a movie drinks a coke, you may not realize later what made you want a coke, but it was that image of it on the screen. It's not a right in your face sort of lesson. I like it without the questions. Questions can be added by the parent during shared reading time.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking about parents asking the questions! :tiphat:
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Adding questions to the book would be like adding questions to Dr. Guess. Some books are just meant to be fun. The lessons are simple. The main one being learning to read. Questions would only complicate things.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Posing question at the end of each topic would be an excellent addition to the book. That would provoke the children thinking on Toni and help in memorization of the chapter contents.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think that would make it a different style of book completely. I don't think it would add to it. Parents or teachers can come up with their own questions in the end if they need or want to.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”