Official Review: The Wings of Dawn by Louise Scarmato

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: The Wings of Dawn by Louise Scarmato

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wings of Dawn" by Louise Scarmato.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The war of equality was won, but the spirit of those courageous and intelligent women died on the battlefield.

The Wings of Dawn is a necessary read for women of the 21st century. After centuries of oppression, we have finally gained freedom. We have also abandoned what it means to be a “woman.”

I read The Wings of Dawn twice. I am 19 years old and I grew up knowing that one day, I would be allowed to vote. I could go to school and was allowed to do anything my male counterparts were allowed to do. I also grew up looking down on housewives and women that chose family over their careers. I even looked down on women for wearing pink. Why? Because being feminine is considered weak. How ignorant is that?

This book vocalized all the thoughts that I have been trying to ignore for the last couple of years. What is so weak about being feminine? Why do I have to act like a man to be considered equal? Why are we judging women for being women? Who are my daughters going to look up to?

The Wings of Dawn is a book I would want my daughters to read. The author fills this truthful read with an abundance of quotes from the women that changed history. Harriet Beecher Stowe, Gertrude Stein and Belva Lockwood to name a few. The writing is filled with passion and as I was reading, it felt like all these remarkable women were at my back, encouraging me to run toward the rising sun. The beautiful writing, coupled with a profound message, had such an astounding impact that I was left reeling.

Another thing I absolutely loved was that the author did not once lay any blame at the feet of modern men. Instead, she encourages the reader to think about what the world, especially the media, is trying to portray us as, and to let the enlightenment come from within. She also speaks about women in power using the ‘movement’ to further their own ambitions, instead of using that voice to build a platform for women.

The Wings of Dawn features stunning evocative writing that captures how profound our history is, and how proud we should be. There were no typos and the book is very clearly professionally edited. The only minor problem I encountered was the slightly confusing format, with one run-on read. Fortunately, because this is a short read, it didn’t hinder the reading much.

I rate The Wings of Dawn 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to all women, which I knows sounds really vague but trust me. This is a brilliant read filled with messages that need to be heard, coupled with some harsh truths. We do not need to act like men to be equal. Tradition is not your enemy. Strive to be the type of woman that you can be proud of and remember we need to listen to ourselves and not the media, or the accepted standard.
Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door.
-Emily Dickinson
The Wings of Dawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
davidcoin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by davidcoin »

The irony of life is when you see yourself less equipped than the opposite sex.If you have self confidence and know your worth gender equality shouldn't limit your strife for greatness in life.Therefore the book The Wings of Dawn is a book for everyone.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Age is just a number, indeed; you've got much wisdom that someone who's decades older than you are, like me, could also hope for. I agree that harmony doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be the exact replicas of each other, if that's even possible at this point; peaceful coexistence could also be achieved by respecting each other's uniqueness. Thank you for such an insightful review. Well done.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

davidcoin wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 05:29 The irony of life is when you see yourself less equipped than the opposite sex.If you have self confidence and know your worth gender equality shouldn't limit your strife for greatness in life.Therefore the book The Wings of Dawn is a book for everyone.
It's a sad reality that most women feel the need to prove themselves 'above the rest'. I am guilty of doing that. Confidence like that comes with age and a lot of mistakes, and while I would like to believe a lot of us are there, myself included, I know that we also struggle with the things we have been taught. Little phrases like 'you throw like a girl' and so on have an effect. It creates little cracks in that confidence.
We shouldn't be acting like the opposite gender to prove out worth. Just like men have their own uniqueness that makes them essential, so do women.
Thank you for the comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Espie wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 05:32 Age is just a number, indeed; you've got much wisdom that someone who's decades older than you are, like me, could also hope for. I agree that harmony doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be the exact replicas of each other, if that's even possible at this point; peaceful coexistence could also be achieved by respecting each other's uniqueness. Thank you for such an insightful review. Well done.
I hope that this message will spread, that being a woman who stays home with the kids or likes pink and girly things is not wrong or 'less'.
I still have a lot to learn but thank you so much. :tiphat:
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I might have to pick this book up. I think that as a woman trying to be successful in a male-dominated line of work, it can be hard to remain true to femininity. I often find myself wondering if I should drop my usual demeanour to appeal to more men and a larger audience or stay true to who I am. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Wow, amazing review! You seem to be able to pick out the best kind of books, and I love how you add the most relevant quotes to your reviews. I will definitely be looking into this one, as it seems to have a very powerful and important message. Thanks!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love everything you wrote about this book. Also, I've read several of your reviews and I'm very surprised you are 19--you really are wise beyond your years! Thanks for the inspiring review. I'm adding this to my bookshelves.
Espie

Post by Espie »

JR Mercier wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 06:24
Espie wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 05:32 Age is just a number, indeed; you've got much wisdom that someone who's decades older than you are, like me, could also hope for. I agree that harmony doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be the exact replicas of each other, if that's even possible at this point; peaceful coexistence could also be achieved by respecting each other's uniqueness. Thank you for such an insightful review. Well done.
I hope that this message will spread, that being a woman who stays home with the kids or likes pink and girly things is not wrong or 'less'.
I think the decision and profession of being a mother is a very important one, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable.

Being, choosing, or doing something different should not be shunned, indeed, especially if such is fair and beneficial, and not at all to anyone's undue disadvantage.

Complacency and thinking one knows it all would be a mistake; you are on the right path if you are seeking more enlightenment, I believe.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 07:00 I might have to pick this book up. I think that as a woman trying to be successful in a male-dominated line of work, it can be hard to remain true to femininity. I often find myself wondering if I should drop my usual demeanour to appeal to more men and a larger audience or stay true to who I am. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
I completely understand what you mean. It's hard to be yourself because there is always something or someone telling you that you need to be a bit less 'woman' or a bit more.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 10:51 Wow, amazing review! You seem to be able to pick out the best kind of books, and I love how you add the most relevant quotes to your reviews. I will definitely be looking into this one, as it seems to have a very powerful and important message. Thanks!
That is a compliment I will always remember! Thank you so much and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cecilia_L wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 21:18 I love everything you wrote about this book. Also, I've read several of your reviews and I'm very surprised you are 19--you really are wise beyond your years! Thanks for the inspiring review. I'm adding this to my bookshelves.
All these compliments are making me blush :oops: Thank you so much for such a beautiful compliment :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Espie wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 01:19
I think the decision and profession of being a mother is a very important one, especially to those in whose lives we are indispensable and irreplaceable.

Being, choosing, or doing something different should not be shunned, indeed, especially if such is fair and beneficial, and not at all to anyone's undue disadvantage.

Complacency and thinking one knows it all would be a mistake; you are on the right path if you are seeking more enlightenment, I believe.
Being a mother should NEVER be looked down upon. And I hope that we get to a point where being any type of woman, whether traditional or not, is just simply normal.
Espie

Post by Espie »

JR Mercier wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 04:57
Espie wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 01:19

Being a mother should NEVER be looked down upon. And I hope that we get to a point where being any type of woman, whether traditional or not, is just simply normal.
It's better to have an open mind, indeed.😊
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This is great! I actually did my dissertation on second-wave feminism, which seems to be included in the book's range of topics. I love it that this book makes it more accessible for women to read and learn more, to eventually be able to take charge of their own life. Thanks for the lovely review! (:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”