Official Review: Love's Harvest by Gwen Overland

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Love's Harvest by Gwen Overland

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love's Harvest" by Gwen Overland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gwen Overland's novel Love's Harvest is a heartwarming romance novel with lovable and memorable characters. Julia Reynolds has just lost her husband to his battle with cancer and finds herself tasked with returning her family's waning vineyard to its former glory. Thankfully, while she was struggling with her husband's poor health, the orchard's manager, Diego Gonzales, was taking care of things and his support is what's necessary to get her through the challenging days ahead. Especially since her brother-in-law, James, is determined to tear down the winery and sell the land to built condos for a quick buck.

Diego has his own painful past and Julia knows she shouldn't be this attracted to a man so soon after her husband's funeral. However, they can't deny the compatibility they find within each other. Despite all of the problems that come their way, Julia and Diego's love for each other holds strong. However, this novel isn't just about them. There are many different characters each with their own relationships and the trials that come with, as well as with loving support.

I really enjoyed the way the characters reacted to each other. I thought that despite all of the problems they faced in the novel, the relationships shown were so healthy and loving, especially Julia's relationships with her sisters and best friend. Diego also has a healthy relationship with his sister, her husband, and his niece and nephew. The theme of "family" is definitely an important part of the novel. I also loved the conflicts the characters faced and how they were able to overcome them as a community.

Unfortunately, the book wasn't completely perfect. I found quite a few mistakes, and they only got more obvious the further I read. Also, there was quite a lot of Spanish used throughout the novel, but some of it was obviously wrong even to me, and I only took 3 years of Spanish in high school. Things like "Da nada" instead of "De nada" (for "you're welcome") and Diego good-naturedly calling his nephew a "poco hombre," which when translated directly means "little man" but is really used to insult a man's masculinity.

I really enjoyed the book overall, finishing it in only two days because I could hardly put it down. The feeling of community and everyone banding together to help out the winery really warmed my heart and put me in a good mood. However, because of the aforementioned Spanish errors, which could have been confirmed with a quick Google search, and the lack of proper proofreading, I can only rate Love's Harvest 3 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend it to romance lovers who enjoy a good drama. There are a few sex scenes that are explicit but in a classy way, so I would only recommend it to readers aged 18 and up.

Love's Harvest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Phoenix Miles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Phoenix Miles »

Love's harvest is really based on love issues or else what? asked BY Phoenix miles
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I enjoyed your review, but I think the errors would bother me enough to keep me from enjoying the book. It is nice to find a book with so many healthy, although not problem-free, relationships in it. I get tired of petty drama in so many of the romances I try to read.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I appreciate your lovely review. While your description of a heartwarming drama with memorable characters sounds promising, I think I would find the many errors distracting, as well.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The book sounds like a nice read. I like that it maintains attention and the lovable characters. Great review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed your review. This book sounds interesting - a romance and healthy themes. Your examples of bad Spanish made me laugh - so maybe that would take away from the mood of the story! Thanks for a good review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm in love with romance novels and this review has just made me more interested in this book. I even llike the fact that it seems to have given details on almost everything about romantic life.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I really enjoy romance and I think this book might be a good pick.
I´m also a native Spanish speaker. I get your problem with "de nada", because it is, in fact, wrong.
However "poco hombre" is not a mistake. It might be offensive in your culture, but it´s not a wrong linguistic usage and it´s quite a common "joking insult" among male friends or relatives. I don´t mean to be polemic, I really don´t, I just wonder what you mean, because if the character is Latin American it makes sense that he uses such expressions. It´s probably not your idea of polite, and it´s not an especially nice thing to say, but it´s coherent with the character´s culture.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Doesn't sound to bad. The only thing that would slow me down would be the mistakes. If it wasn't for them this book might have been 4 out of 4.

I like that there are multiple stories and not just the two main characters story. It's nice to have a break from one story with another. In my opinion, it builds up the suspense of the main story with a break of another.

Great review, very honest.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Lunastella wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 06:48 I really enjoy romance and I think this book might be a good pick.
I´m also a native Spanish speaker. I get your problem with "de nada", because it is, in fact, wrong.
However "poco hombre" is not a mistake. It might be offensive in your culture, but it´s not a wrong linguistic usage and it´s quite a common "joking insult" among male friends or relatives. I don´t mean to be polemic, I really don´t, I just wonder what you mean, because if the character is Latin American it makes sense that he uses such expressions. It´s probably not your idea of polite, and it´s not an especially nice thing to say, but it´s coherent with the character´s culture.
Thanks for the comment!
With "poco hombre," it wasn't so much the meaning as it was the timing. He had just finished cheering up his nephew, so it struck me as odd that he would use words that could (potentially) be meant as an insult after trying so hard to be delicate and kind. I mostly listed it as an example because it threw me out of my reading trance!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

katiesquilts wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 02:42
Lunastella wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 06:48 I really enjoy romance and I think this book might be a good pick.
Thanks for the comment!
With "poco hombre," it wasn't so much the meaning as it was the timing. He had just finished cheering up his nephew, so it struck me as odd that he would use words that could (potentially) be meant as an insult after trying so hard to be delicate and kind. I mostly listed it as an example because it threw me out of my reading trance!
Oh! I get it. It is, indeed, a strange timing. Thanks for replying!
misatifelix
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misatifelix.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by misatifelix »

Love life can be depressing after loosing a loved one. Julia Reynolds falls in love again after loosing her husband to cancer. This book defines love life scenarios that are common in relationships today. Definitely a must read for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book sounds like it has quite a bit going for it. I love the complexity of character that it seems to have and all the different relationships rather than just lovers. However, I don't enjoy explicit scenes. I'll probably stay away from this one, but I do appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anjhel12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Anjhel12 »

I think this book is kind of good. Romantic Ways though there are complicated scenes which is normal in daily lives. Just like our stories.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review. The errors might bother me a little but I would give the book chance.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”