Wonder by RJ Palacio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
booksnpeace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Wonder by RJ Palacio

Post by booksnpeace »

“I wish everyday could be Halloween. We could all wear masks all the time. Then we could walk around and get to know each other before we got to see what we looked like under the masks.”
-R.J. Palacio

This book was really amazing, something that gave me chills. I knew I was going to like this book as soon as I read its summary… but I loved it immensely! This book is a fiction but something everybody might have gone through. So in a way it is reality-based fiction.

Imagine having a not so good looking face or even worse, having a disabled face. Now imagine going out and people staring and talking about you. Imagine your face scaring the hell out of small children playing out there. BUT THAT REALLY ISN’T YOU. IT’S JUST YOUR FACE. You are an ordinary kid too. How to explain this to people – to each person who stares you as if you are a mistake, God’s failed creation. I guess you will never really make people understand this.

August Pullman a.k.a Auggie is a ten years old boy who has a deformed face and is suffering from this disability since childhood. But even after all this and ‘what will people think of me’ thoughts he decides to join school. This book is a wonderful journey of Auggie who decides to accept the reality and face all the circumstances. I really liked how the book was divided into sections where family members and friends of Auggie expressed their inner thoughts towards him.

On a field, there are plants that grow but on the same field we see weeds (unwanted plants). At the end of the day, even that weed is a damn plant. This is what happens with humans too. Not everybody has same appearance. Not everybody looks alike. Some might have big eyes. Some might have small nose. Some might have huge nostrils. Some might have freckles skin. But making it simple we all have face whatever the differences might be.
The real us will be the human that we are from inside. It will all depend on how people will see it. That is what this book has taught me — to be positive and more positive.

I recommend everybody (ignoring the age group) to read it once.
Thank you for reading this. If you liked it please give it a like or leave a comment below.
brandi kesler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-kesler.html

Post by brandi kesler »

Sounds like a great book about self acceptance. I'm tempted to read it now as everybody has been through something like that or similar where they feel "different" and not in a good way. Thank you for your post! I look forward to reading the book.
jaymecarruthers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaymecarruthers.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by jaymecarruthers »

I absolutely LOVED this book. It tackles such hard issues of bullying and self-acceptance. Even though I don't have a facial deformity of any kind, there were still ways I could relate to this story. I read it as part of a book club and would really like to re-read it. I've also heard it's going to be a movie, which I'm really excited for!
FangirlsAhead
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fangirlsahead.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by FangirlsAhead »

Oh my gosh, it's going to be a movie? Count me in! I mean, obviously, it's not going to be as good as the book since the book was incredible, but still.
nidatuzohra
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by nidatuzohra »

Man! I have been waiting a long time to get my hands on this book at my local library, but someone has it checked out constantly. If I do get the book soon, I'll probably be one of those people. It sounds like an amazing book! Thanks for the review!
realmasterblaster

Post by realmasterblaster »

Hey so honestly I loved reading wonder Its like a book that has lots of characters and many points of views I also have Auggie and me which I loved as well I just really loved wonder thanks for making a book that great.
Noobianplayzyt

Post by Noobianplayzyt »

I loved reading wonder cause its teaching us and it could happen and that there are other people telling the readers how they met him or how there life is and how they went through fifth grade and its just so amazing people should read this book more than once thats how great it is people. :D :D
Kailani_Fox
Currently Reading: The Navigator II
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailani-fox.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kailani_Fox »

Wonder sounds like a great book to read! I’ve been looking for a great story about self-acceptance, one that shows that things like this don’t just happen to certain people but to all age groups-but they can get over it just the same. I was hooked the minute I saw the trailer, but wanted to get around to reading the book before I saw the movie. Thanks for your terrific review!
sasireader21

Post by sasireader21 »

Wonder was an amazing book about the difficulties of self-acceptance as well as of the lives that one human can change for the better. This book is told from multiple different perspectives, which is all in itself interesting to read, but it also gives the reader a peek into the minds of the characters surrounding the main character, Auggie. It is definitely a book to add to your reading list, no matter your age, due to the fact that it teaches both children and adults life lessons.
butterbean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterbean.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by butterbean »

I loved this book and so do my students! It is always a popular one during library checkout time. It has such a great message, but it is written in such a fluid and touching manner. Highly recommend!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I loved this book and especially the character development. I loved Auggie and Jack and the way their friendship grew. I loved how the bullies Auggie had to face everyday, came to his rescue. And I loved Via, Auggie's sister and her perspective was really sad and lovely.
The movie was really good too, and I felt it did complete justice to the book.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

This was an amazing book! There's so much you can take from it. I read it with my middle school students, and it opens up lots of different discussions. Wonder is one of my favorites for sure!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
domibarq
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by domibarq »

I had to read this book in one of my English Education classes and I loved it. The character development throughout the novel was amazing. There are so many great messages throughout this book and I loved how they were presented. I would definitely recommend:)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Wonderful review. I loved the book as well. And I loved the way you used the quotes to point out how good this book is. Great job!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Des1616

Post by Des1616 »

This book was good , i seen the movie a couple times

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”