Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by Kibet Hillary »

DorcasToo wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 07:52 I think you are right children are too glued to technology. But i can't blame them with each generation comes a different technology they ought to explore. I don't expect a 21st century kid to do what a 19th century kid would have done.
:D :D this is very true also. Every generation will come with some changes. As time goes by, we might be surprised to observe other things as well. I, however, still support that being outdoors is important too. Just to appreciate nature. It is also a healthy practice.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Kibetious wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 03:16
DorcasToo wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 07:52 I think you are right children are too glued to technology. But i can't blame them with each generation comes a different technology they ought to explore. I don't expect a 21st century kid to do what a 19th century kid would have done.
:D :D this is very true also. Every generation will come with some changes. As time goes by, we might be surprised to observe other things as well. I, however, still support that being outdoors is important too. Just to appreciate nature. It is also a healthy practice.
Toni could like a whole lot more outdoor activities: gardening, raking, identifying different types of plants, and hiking. He could have a whole nature adventure. Or even a safari adventure naming all of the animals he likes. There is a place in Louisiana called Global Wildlife where you get on this caravan and you can feed giraffes, zebras, llamas, and more. I think children would have fun following Toni on one of these trips.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Well said :tiphat:
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 11:22
Toni could like a whole lot more outdoor activities: gardening, raking, identifying different types of plants, and hiking. He could have a whole nature adventure. Or even a safari adventure naming all of the animals he likes. There is a place in Louisiana called Global Wildlife where you get on this caravan and you can feed giraffes, zebras, llamas, and more. I think children would have fun following Toni on one of these trips.
I can only imagine how much more Toni can do outdoors. It will be a nice episode in the series.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

Electronics are good as someone said, 'for their future', outdoor games are also good to exercise their body. Too much electronic gadgets may cause danger. There must be a balance to maintain good health to our kids.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

prinjeh18 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 01:51 Electronics are good as someone said, 'for their future', outdoor games are also good to exercise their body. Too much electronic gadgets may cause danger. There must be a balance to maintain good health to our kids.
The dangers of too much time spent using electronics has begun to come to light. The internet and smart phones haven't really been around long enough for scientists and psychologists to fully study the effects. But we do know the positive effects of exercise!
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:

Post by prinjeh18 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 09:49
prinjeh18 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 01:51 Electronics are good as someone said, 'for their future', outdoor games are also good to exercise their body. Too much electronic gadgets may cause danger. There must be a balance to maintain good health to our kids.
The dangers of too much time spent using electronics has begun to come to light. The internet and smart phones haven't really been around long enough for scientists and psychologists to fully study the effects. But we do know the positive effects of exercise!
Exactly! :tiphat: I see a lot of children wearing eye glasses at their young age. They have red eyes already, but playing outdoor games will make them physically fit.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I grew up in the 90s so I had a great mix of playing outside and then using technology as I grew up. I distinctly remember playing in our screened in porch with my friends but I also remember playing video games with them inside. I really think there needs to be a balance in screen time versus outdoor play. I get really sad when I see parents park their kids in front of a TV or computer to keep them busy. I understand doing this every now and again but your TV or iPad should not be your babysitter!
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I don't think that children's use of electronics is inherently a bad thing, nor is playing outside an inherently good thing. While I do think Toni playing outside will certainly encourage many other children to do the same, I would not be upset if the next book pictured him playing videos games with his friends or watching TV with his family. What it comes down to, for me, is Toni's interests. Toni might represent a lot of children's interests, but there is no way he can represent all of them. If the author decides enough children watch TV that it might be a good idea to include it in the next book, I would agree with that, but if the author makes the decision that Toni is the type of child who prefers the outdoors, that would be equally as valid.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree that most kids have too much screen time. I also agree that parents need to lead by example when it comes to unplugging, being active and enjoying outdoor activities. How refreshing that Toni the superhero is more interested in reading and being outside!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I’ve especially noticed with my kids that the electronics are addictive. It was really bad when they were first at home with us after they were adopted. We had to practically eliminate all screens for a time. Now that they have been home longer and formed strong attachments with us, it is not as much of an issue and their desire for electronics has normalized. I think even in families without the trauma my kids have experienced, electronics should be managed with care, and I appreciate that Toni's focus is not on those electronics but on other positive activities.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I read the book on my Kindle which is an electronic device. I think the age group to which this book is geared should not have a lot of exposure to electronics and should learn to play outside. I don’t think banishing our technology completely from kids, but use age appropriate guidelines. There’s nothing wrong with good old fashioned play using toys on the floor or in the sandbox. And nothing can replace the swing at the park. I think moderation and balance are the ideas to follow on this.
Everything happens for a reason...
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:

Post by prinjeh18 »

Proper use of gadget is a must. So happy for little Toni who enjoyed outdoor games. Electronic games depend on how the parents handle their children. So sad for this time, children engage more on gadgets.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

prinjeh18 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 00:48 Proper use of gadget is a must. So happy for little Toni who enjoyed outdoor games. Electronic games depend on how the parents handle their children. So sad for this time, children engage more on gadgets.
Wow, awesome! It is true that parents have a great role to play as they guide their children on the use of electronic gadgets so that they do not overuse them also.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:

Post by prinjeh18 »

Kibetious wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 01:11
prinjeh18 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 00:48 Proper use of gadget is a must. So happy for little Toni who enjoyed outdoor games. Electronic games depend on how the parents handle their children. So sad for this time, children engage more on gadgets.
Wow, awesome! It is true that parents have a great role to play as they guide their children on the use of electronic gadgets so that they do not overuse them also.
👍🏻😄 as someone mentioned above, don't make gadgets like in a way of babysitter. All the children around me here(my neighbors ' children) often fight for the tablets and cellphone than playing outdoor games.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”