Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Post by heliz_t »

I think it depends on the child...it's aimed at a pretty specific age group and reading level. For a child who can recognize single letters and clusters, and is just beginning word recognition, it's perfect! There are enough repeated words that they will be able to recognize them page to page, some activity words they are likely to have seen before, and some new ones they can try to sound out for themselves. Little kids love repetition, so it would also work if you read it aloud to a completely pre-literate kid, and the pictures are colourful and engaging enough that it would work for stimulating an early interest in books and reading, which is really important. Would kids at this stage also enjoy having more complex story lines read to them? Yes, but you can do this as well as, rather than instead of, helping them start to read a book like Toni the Superhero. Would it be boring for an older child higher along the literacy development curve? Yes. But it isn't intended for them, and there are plenty of other books out there to move on to.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

DorcasToo wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:49 The traditional storyline isn't as effective as this repetitive style. A child will easily relate to a word they have seen repeatedly. Enhancing their mastery and understanding. I think this is what the author intended to achieve.
I agree that the book succeeded based on what the author wanted to achieve - using simple words and sentences that the child could master fairly easily. The visual clues from the pictures also help the child figure out the activity on each page.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Plots are more important for step 2 readers than for children just learning how to read. I agree with some of the others who pointed out that a picture book doesn't necessarily have to have a plot. This kind of book is meant to be read with an adult by your side. And though I realize that not all adults have an instinct for this, reading with a child at that age involves asking them questions and talking about each page. Such as, "So Toni has to do to chores. Do you do chores at home? Do you think Batman does chores? I think it's great that he helps out at home even though he's a superhero." This is how you teach children how to engage with a story, and how to express their own thoughts about the story.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think the book is geared towards persons who are learning to read and write/spell. As such the repetitiveness of the words help in recognizing the combinations of letters that make up words, and the corresponding sounds of the letter combination.

As an adult reading the book, yes it would be less interesting because it has no plot. However, children who are learning to read most likely would not notice. Their attention would most likely be taken up by the pictures, colors, the activities depicted and so on.
Kay87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kay87.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kay87 »

I thought the grammar structure was not suitable for a beginning reader instead Toni can or will should have been used. The use of like made the story too repetitive which in turn made it difficult for the story to have a plot. Simply adding does not like would have improved the story or even adding a question for the child, e.g. Can you run? Just as adults, children are engaged when there is some form of conflict to resolve or a situation they can relate to.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Considering the age the book is targeted to, I think the simplistic words work. The long sentence structure word bore them. Could there have a variation on the words? Perhaps, but I don't think the repetitiveness hurts the author's intention for the book.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

It is repetitive, but that might be necessary for a beginning reader to gain confidence.

For an older child, it would be boring and they would likely appreciate a story i.e. plot and structure.

For a young child just learning to read, this book would be fine. I imagine though that they would learn it and then move on to something else so it may not last long.
ereason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereason.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by ereason »

The repetitive sentences reminded me of similar books when I was young - especially "Peter & Jane". ("Peter is running. Jane is running. Peter and Jane are running"). I don't remember them when I was just learning to read, which I suppose is a problem here - does anyone remember whether they liked a book at 3 or 4 years old? Later, at 6 or 7, I found them boring because of their repetition. However, I very impressed with Toni the Superhero and if I had children of that age, I'd definitely have this on the bookshelves.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think the lack of a traditional plot makes this book more suitable for kids. It is worth noting that the style of writing is changing and hence kids' books also have changed a bit. The fact that sentences are repeated makes it easy for the kids to memorize the story. It would also be a bit boring to write on one topic alone since children have diverse interests. Hence, writing short sentences on many activities is better.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Kay87 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 19:36 I thought the grammar structure was not suitable for a beginning reader instead Toni can or will should have been used. The use of like made the story too repetitive which in turn made it difficult for the story to have a plot. Simply adding does not like would have improved the story or even adding a question for the child, e.g. Can you run? Just as adults, children are engaged when there is some form of conflict to resolve or a situation they can relate to.
I think the addition of questions is a great idea. Even if the "i like " didn't change, the questions could add some variety. They can be asked "can you" as well as "do you like to," "How often do you," even "what's your favorite song to sing." The kids could read the repetitive sentences while the parents take over with the questions.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

I guess the author wanted the children to remember those repetitive words at their own age level.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

holsam_87 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 17:40 This book is geared more towards emergent readers so the repetitive sentences work best. Kids could also guess what is happening based on the pictures. I also noticed that a lot of the words were simple with the cvc form which refers to consonant, vowel, and consonant. Using those words reinforces sight words for beginning readers.
Well put. The target audience is 0 - 4 years, so I felt it was appropriate for that age group.
Hannahkate3
Currently Reading: The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi Charter
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahkate3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Hannahkate3 »

The repetitive sentences were definitely a problem for me because I feel like even kids first learning how to read need to know that not every sentence can be the same. I didn't like the lack of plot either. I know there will be add-on books, but I wish Toni would have been better explained in this first book. The story just jumped right into all the things Toni does without a real character introduction.
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

This is a good question, but I think it would depend on the kid and the age. The younger they are the more they will focus on the pictures. If the child is slightly older he or she might be more interested in the story, and this could bore them a little. Of course, at that point, it could be used as a practice reading book.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think the repetitive simple sentences work in this book are ok because the illustrations are so big and colorful. I do think parts of a story are missing because I wonder who he is dancing with and who is he helping. Are they his sister or mom? We assume they are a family member. This format reminds me of teaching English to students learning a second language or in this case, a young reader learning to read.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”