Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by chelhack »

In my opinion I believe it's a good thing that the electronics were not presented in this book. Although, I do believe it is important for children to be as knowledged in using electronics as any other subject it is still important for children to get out and move.
Chelsea N. Hackett
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

kfwilson6 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 13:18
Bookmermaid wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 12:26
kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
Many children who own electronics certainly do, it's like an addiction for some of them. If unsupervised and left to their own antics they will play video games day and night or surf social media. The book is a step in the right direction but parental education and supervision is the crucial factor.
absolutely. I got the impression from this book and posts I've seen about it that this book has two main goals 1) To use repetition in word usage to help new readers 2) To show that certain activities including chores are fun for everyone. I think there are quite a lot of subtle hints guiding children in the right direction. Not only should they help mom, participate in chores, and eat vegetables, but they should also play outside and care about animals. It's not an in your face kind of lesson, so I really like that.
Definitely so, books like these can be quick, easy and powerful tools to assist parents in imbibing good values in their children.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

chelhack wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 02:42 In my opinion I believe it's a good thing that the electronics were not presented in this book. Although, I do believe it is important for children to be as knowledged in using electronics as any other subject it is still important for children to get out and move.
Very true. It's a double-edged sword much of the time. I'm grateful my husband is better at trouble-shooting computer issues than I am and in my job I frequently use the Microsoft Office suite. It's almost impossible to be successful in modern society without being computer savvy. Maybe if Toni is seen using a computer for a school project rather than watching tv or playing video games?
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think you are right children are too glued to technology. But i can't blame them with each generation comes a different technology they ought to explore. I don't expect a 21st century kid to do what a 19th century kid would have done.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Good pick up about Toni not being on some electronic device. My nephews and niece are familiar with electronic devices but also enjoy their legos and books. I think this is because their dad, their grandmother and myself make a concerted effort not to be stuck on an electronic device for too long. Their mother is another story. She's always on Facebook. We try to counteract her behaviour.

kfwilson, I hope your nephew can find someone else to play legos with him. So sad! We would be more than happy to :)
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Of course, it will help some children provided parents will also encourage them to do so. It happens that nowadays most kids prefer staying indoors in front of televisions or Video games. These habits may make the children be antisocial and also be detrimental to their health as well. It is good that kids learn that they can also have fun outside the house.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Charlaigne wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 00:31 Good pick up about Toni not being on some electronic device. My nephews and niece are familiar with electronic devices but also enjoy their legos and books. I think this is because their dad, their grandmother and myself make a concerted effort not to be stuck on an electronic device for too long. Their mother is another story. She's always on Facebook. We try to counteract her behaviour.

kfwilson, I hope your nephew can find someone else to play legos with him. So sad! We would be more than happy to :)
This is a nice and a balanced way to view it all. That kids learn to balance between electronic stuff and others that are not necessarily electronic. I also support the fact that parents have a pivotal and instrumental role to play in helping their kids here.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
abeerashafique98
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abeerashafique98 »

In the modern era kids ate highly influenced by electronics but under the right supervision the negative effect can be eliminated ipads and iphones can also be used for educational pusposes but ofcourse the joy of playing outside has its own perks children should be encouraged to play outside and spend time in healthy activities
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Charlaigne wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 00:31 Good pick up about Toni not being on some electronic device. My nephews and niece are familiar with electronic devices but also enjoy their legos and books. I think this is because their dad, their grandmother and myself make a concerted effort not to be stuck on an electronic device for too long. Their mother is another story. She's always on Facebook. We try to counteract her behaviour.

It's great that adult family members in your family are making the effort to show kids there is so much more to do than play on electronic devices. Sad about the kids' mother. Moms and dads have the greatest influence. I just posted my review for this book and I started by saying that this book is a great combination of role models: parents and superheroes. It shows activities parents want their kids to participate in by having a superhero they can relate to doing them.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

abeerashafique98 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 07:37 In the modern era kids ate highly influenced by electronics but under the right supervision the negative effect can be eliminated ipads and iphones can also be used for educational pusposes but ofcourse the joy of playing outside has its own perks children should be encouraged to play outside and spend time in healthy activities
Electronics can definitely serve a positive purpose. I don't have any kids so I'm not really familiar with electronics specifically made for them, but I think the Baby Einstein videos and LeapFrog games are great.
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
I love how this book shows outdoor play versus electronics! I definitely think this is important in children's book to encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy the outdoors. I think that children spend too much time using electronics. It's almost like their addicted to them. That being said, time to go take my kids outside!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Carly-maricque wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 09:36
I love how this book shows outdoor play versus electronics! I definitely think this is important in children's book to encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy the outdoors. I think that children spend too much time using electronics. It's almost like their addicted to them. That being said, time to go take my kids outside!
The addiction part is so true. And sadly, this carries on into adulthood. My husband is my only "child" and I have to fuss at him to stop playing his video game on his phone when we are doing things together. We must teach kids right from the baby years the values, behaviors, morals we want them to have.

Have fun with the kids!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

While I appreciate the value of electronics, I feel many of today's children miss out on an awful lot when too much of their day is spent watching TV and playing video games (age appropriate). Imagine that, playing outside, what a concept. I sure hope it does encourage children and even their parents to think of doing more outside activities. Playing outside gives the child room to run, skip and get some good exercise that should aid with a beneficial sleep.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I think it's healthy for kids to do both. Outside play is very important in development but so is electronic play. I say this because you cant survive this day and age without the electronics. Even elementary school children have to use computers for school work
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is true that electronic devices can also be those that serve other purposes such as reading. The depiction of Toni having a little interest in electronics and spending most of the times outdoors means a lot, however. Kids can really learn that being outdoors can be a lot of fun too. This is a great lesson.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”