What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by drunyan »

I think that circus life calls us away from the routine of our day-to-day existence, and holds the appeal of doing things that are superhuman.

The entire book is an "oxymoron" in a way. The day-to-day existence of the characters is made real, and they are not the superhumans we perceive them to be. To be able to do their jobs, they needed to escape, much like we sometimes want to. Thus, the drug dependencies...
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

I'm currently reading Water For Elephants which also revolves around a traveling circus. The story exposes the parts of circus life that you don't see on the surface, as a customer. It seems each worker and performer has their own escapist reason for being a part of it and maybe they are in the business of mirage and allusion simply to grant other people (the customers) that gift of temporarily escaping the problems of daily life and feel free in a way that only they can grant you.
“But need alone is not enough to set power free: there must be knowledge.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

Circus life is all about freedom of expression, of living and of thinking. It is a way to get away from a person's previous life and act like only a few can, superhuman. It is a way to get credit for being weird, while in normal society, a person would just be shunned.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
NnWillsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnwillsons.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by NnWillsons »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 02 May 2018, 10:00 Many probably go to the circus for the same reason they visit a different country—because it seems exotic, different, and exciting. There's also an air of mysteriousness about the whole idea of the circus, since a lot of the acts seem almost like magic, and there's a lot of suspense to that. That's probably why you see so many stories and shows that are set in circuses, because they promise you something out of the ordinary.
I think that’s the best way of putting it I’ve seen. The people and their acts are different and I think many people crave that variety—that spice— but feel pressured by a narrow-minded society not to accept it. So going somewhere it’s socially acceptable to enjoy this variety(and without the hassle of getting a passport) is a treat.
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

-Dauntless Manifesto
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I think I have always been most interested in seeing these artists go beyond normal limits. They perform stunts that the average person does not, or cannot do. I stopped going to the circus because I started to feel bad about the animals involved. There are many circus shows now that do not use animals, but I haven't gone to those. The last big circus that I went to was most likely over a decade ago.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I think the circus appeals to anyone, child or adult, who wants to embrace the ideas of magic and mystery, and to escape the humdrum daily routine of the "real world". I still enjoy it as an adult taking my own children. The only real issue for me is concerns about how the animals might be treated in their training. But for sheer escapism for young and old alike, the circus is great value. I haven't had a chance to read the entire book so unfortunately I can't answer your other questions right now.
John Ric
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by John Ric »

Being in a circus is like traveling to a destination or for leisure. You must enjoy every second of staying thier. Full of excitement and discoveries. You will be amazed for every things youve see
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It's like Halloween. It's a chance to feel like a kid again.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I did not finish reading the book, but I think the circus is a way of escape, somewhat similar to watching a movie. You get lost in the moment and forget about everyday life for a while.

I think it seems like fun and adventure to a child, the trapeze artists look glamorous and exciting. The stunts look incredible. It's exotic and feels like being in another world where everything seems a little magical and it seems to make people happy to be there.
Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Surakshita-11 »

Something really fascinating about circus life is risk they take performing various stunts one such art in this book is sword swallowing.

Answering to your question
I find circus life really adventurous and full of new experience
It has been years since I last visited any circus.
It is quite difficult for me say about circus life described in thos book as I am yet to read the whole book
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

As a kid I was fascinated with circuses and how free they seemed. As an adult, they repulse me.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The circus is certainly an interesting world. Where different people do little things individually that add up to something bigger and beautiful and it leaves you wondering how they did it. I would say Duke is satisfied with life in the circus.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

It gives inspiration on how the circus personnel do the impossible thing. It creates curiosity, but ignites excitement.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I think the perceived allure of the circus life revolves around issues of independence, and breaking free from social mores and responsibilities. I have not personally been to a circus since my childhood and, in truth, travelling fairs are rare nowadays...
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I think circus life has changed a lot. People are not as impresed with the old tricks. They need new stuff like they do in Cirque du Soleil. With that in mind circus people have a lot in their plates. I think that maybe is more stressfull now than it was in the past.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”