Broke Food.

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Broke Food.

Post by Lil Reads »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:33
Lil Reads wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 14:57 Leftover mix - combining different odds and ends in the fridge together. I've used leftover pasta, a mix of several different veggie sides, sometimes low sodium broth or soup, and some leftover meat to make an unique blend to my taste.

Breakfast for dinner is usually a good standby too. Some grocery stores have eggs on sale every few weeks and I get a carton or two if the date is far out enough. Scrambled eggs with seasoning and cheese are great for protein.
Just curious but what seasoning?
It can be anything - sometimes it is a prepared blend, e.g. Italian herbs, Mexican spices and sometimes it is a self made blend with whatever we have on hand, e.g. onion powder, paprika. The default is regular black pepper because we always have that. I stayed with my grandma once and when we made breakfast, she used Beau Monde - a Spice Island blend that contained celery, onion, salt, and other things.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Lil Reads wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:40
Lil Reads wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 14:57 Leftover mix - combining different odds and ends in the fridge together. I've used leftover pasta, a mix of several different veggie sides, sometimes low sodium broth or soup, and some leftover meat to make an unique blend to my taste.

Breakfast for dinner is usually a good standby too. Some grocery stores have eggs on sale every few weeks and I get a carton or two if the date is far out enough. Scrambled eggs with seasoning and cheese are great for protein.
It can be anything - sometimes it is a prepared blend, e.g. Italian herbs, Mexican spices and sometimes it is a self made blend with whatever we have on hand, e.g. onion powder, paprika. The default is regular black pepper because we always have that. I stayed with my grandma once and when we made breakfast, she used Beau Monde - a Spice Island blend that contained celery, onion, salt, and other things.
Thank you. I'm going to try something like that. I always use milk,salt,pepper and cheese.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:13
Lil Reads wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:40

Thank you. I'm going to try something like that. I always use milk,salt,pepper and cheese.
You're welcome. If you douse a prepared blend though, check where salt is on the ingredient list - some blends are actually mainly salt!
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Soups are a cheap easy option. From scratch with just seasonings, potatoes, peas and carrots or corn and any leftover meat. It's quick, basic and still filling especially if you add a side of toast.
samical6
Currently Reading: Roadmap to End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by samical6 »

Broke food? Perfect. I had two eggs and hash browns last night. Cheap
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Dal and rice (like beans and rice but easier to digest). Tasty and filling! No wheat! Win win. I can't eat wheat anymore, sadness. In college I used to eat Pot Noodle and ramen. Meat was usually sausages if I could afford it.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

At those times, my companion are eggs and canned tuna. Cheaper but you can do a lot with those two. Poached eggs, fritters, tuna pancakes etc.
Klovesaranger
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Klovesaranger »

I remember growing up if we were having a really bad week financially (which happened a lot), we would eat cooked macaroni with warm milk and pepper or just plain macaroni with ketchup. At the time I didn't realize it was because we were stretching the groceries, I just thought it was a fun treat. I can still eat it now because it reminds me of home or some strange reason.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

Something made of sweet potatoes. They are cheaper and more nutritious than most easy boxed options.

I also really like zucchini noodles, since I have a zoodle maker. A zucchini is only a few cents and turns into a bowl of healthy "noodles" quickly!
Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 »

Anything with pasta. Pesto pasta, mac and cheese, spaghetti bolognese. That or some soup!
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library”
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

I feel this post in my soul. We've had to really budget in my household since my son was born. I've found that all things homemade are exponentially cheaper than anything prepackaged. I'll usually look for sales on meat (we eat a lot of ground beef, pork chops, and chicken) and I'll incorporate that into whatever we need. My favorite that yields the most leftovers are a taco bake. It's homemade seasoned pizza dough rolled out big enough to create a large calzone with taco meat, beans, and shredded cheese jammed inside. Total cost is probably close to 5-7 bucks for the whole shebang, but it feeds my fiance and me for 2-3 meals.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I definitely agree with everyone saying pasta, and we also eat sandwiches or just odds and ends to clean out whatever didn't get made into a meal but hasn't gone bad yet. We definitely cut down on snacking and going out to eat before money gets so tight that we can't go out and buy groceries, though.
k80godding
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k80godding.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by k80godding »

I eat canned tuna all the time. I'll throw it on salads, mix in some greek yogurt, raisins, and chopped celery for a tuna salad sandwhich, toss with pasta and pesto. Canned tuna is the bomb. Super convenient and CHEAP. An underrated food option IMO. AND it's packed with protein and low in fat/carbs. It's a great healthy option.
AllyLaBar21

Post by AllyLaBar21 »

inno-117 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 22:18 mine is macaroni, so fast to prepare.
Yes and chicken nuggets
AllyLaBar21

Post by AllyLaBar21 »

palilogy wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 22:15 Knorr pasta sides - they are so inexpensive and delicious or if I'm feeling nostalgic I find pizza lunchables on sale for a dollar. I do love the extra cheese. In college we would stock those in our fridge along with gogurts. Quick and easy meals.
I like to take pasta sides and add canned chicken and ya have a 10 minute meal

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”