Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by kfwilson6 »

I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I definitely think children spend way to much time on electronics and I hope this story along with some encouragement from parents will get them outside doing more physical activities.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

My niece likes playing with electronics, but she'll drop everything if there's a chance to play outside. Electronics are a part of their future. I think all interests should be encouraged and nurtured. If a child likes watching movies discuss the movies afterwards, act them out, or have them write/tell their own version.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

bb587 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:49 My niece likes playing with electronics, but she'll drop everything if there's a chance to play outside. Electronics are a part of their future. I think all interests should be encouraged and nurtured. If a child likes watching movies discuss the movies afterwards, act them out, or have them write/tell their own version.
Those are great ideas. I think it's great for kids to watch movies, but how much they watch should be limited and balanced out by physical activities. Your ideas help make movies more interactive.

I'm glad your niece loves the outdoors so much!
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by llpwap »

It was refreshing to read about a child that didn’t have a phone or game controller stuck to his hand. I have seen kids sit in the same room and text each other instead of talking to each other. I hope that reading this book and some good examples set by parents will encourage children to play outdoors instead of in the house all day.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

llpwap wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 09:43 It was refreshing to read about a child that didn’t have a phone or game controller stuck to his hand. I have seen kids sit in the same room and text each other instead of talking to each other. I hope that reading this book and some good examples set by parents will encourage children to play outdoors instead of in the house all day.
Parents set such a bad example. How can they expect their children to play outside when they use the tv as a babysitter? or when they themselves are constantly on their phones, computers, and tablets? I have a nephew who loves to play with legos, and unfortunately he is the only child in the family. No one ever wants to sit and play with him. They want "adult time" to watch tv and scroll through Facebook together. People are more involved posting pictures of their kids on FB than they are with actually enjoying the moments together.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
Many children who own electronics certainly do, it's like an addiction for some of them. If unsupervised and left to their own antics they will play video games day and night or surf social media. The book is a step in the right direction but parental education and supervision is the crucial factor.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bookmermaid wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 12:26
kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
Many children who own electronics certainly do, it's like an addiction for some of them. If unsupervised and left to their own antics they will play video games day and night or surf social media. The book is a step in the right direction but parental education and supervision is the crucial factor.
absolutely. I got the impression from this book and posts I've seen about it that this book has two main goals 1) To use repetition in word usage to help new readers 2) To show that certain activities including chores are fun for everyone. I think there are quite a lot of subtle hints guiding children in the right direction. Not only should they help mom, participate in chores, and eat vegetables, but they should also play outside and care about animals. It's not an in your face kind of lesson, so I really like that.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I suspect this single book will not convince all children to go outside and play instead of watching TV. But I applaud the author for giving us such a superhero who isn't plugged in, who knows how to work and play with friends and family. I do think that most children spend too much time with computers and television. But I also think it's largely their parents' fault. If you don't limit your child's device time or play with them (inside or out), or read to them, or encourage them to do other activities, of course they might be more likely to plug in for entertainment.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Playing outside in the sun is very healthy for kids. Unfortunately, modern living has a way of stifling this unwritten need since some families live in apartments or estates that lack grounds for such activities. A parent may also be worried that a child going outside would get themselves into trouble hanging out with the wrong kind of friends. Solution? Mesmerise them with electronics to keep them busy/out of trouble... and it works. To some extent.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Children are surrounded with electronics. So many schools today require notebook computers or a tablet, and of course younger and younger children are on phones.

This book is definitely good for encouraging movement and non-electronic play!

:saberduel2:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 14:33 I do think that most children spend too much time with computers and television. But I also think it's largely their parents' fault. If you don't limit your child's device time or play with them (inside or out), or read to them, or encourage them to do other activities, of course they might be more likely to plug in for entertainment.
You're right, parents have to 'lay down the law', but kids can be pretty persistent when they want to be. The parents have to lead by example.

Like this guy: :banana-jumprope:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I think the media and government are partly to blame as well. Parents in some countries (not mine, thankfully!) are taught to be terrified of strangers, and if they leave their children unattended for longer than one second, an evil kidnapper (aka "a stranger") will swoop down and kidnap them. Much safer to keep kids indoors and stupefy them into submission with the TV and PC! (What's that? Climb a tree? You irresponsible parent, you!)
The outside is a Very Bad Place, everyone you meet is a potential threat, and danger lurks around every corner! (Hint: it's a typical neighborhood, not a war zone)

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying bad things don't happen, and parents do need to take sensible precautions, but the key word in that phrase is 'sensible'.

Any book that encourages outdoor play is a good one as far as I'm concerned :)
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

The average child, I find, spends just as much time on a tablet today as a child of the 90's spent watching television. The technology changes, but kids viewing habits do not.

As long as a parent is vaguely aware of their activities online, as well as setting time limits on devices, I don't see a problem. It's only an issue if parents allow it to become one. Besides, in today's world, kids are going to have to learn to navigate modern technology. They might as while learn while they're doing something they enjoy, right?
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Kids do spend way too much time on electronics. They are not only used for entertainment sources, but educational resources too.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”