The Next Installments in the Series

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

The Next Installments in the Series

Post by bookowlie »

This book is the first installment in a planned series of books. Since this book didn't have a plot or flesh out the main character, I wonder what the next installments will be about. Remember the author's concept is to have simple, repetitive sentences to make it easy for children to learn to read. Do you think each installment will focus on Toni doing activities related to certain holidays, such as Halloween and Christmas? Will Toni go on trips such as visiting Grandma, going to the zoo, etc.?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It really does open it up to a whole world of opportunities doesn't it. I hope that whatever they decide to do that they try to include more of a plot line in the additional books. I kind of felt like that was their intent, but you just never know.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

AmySmiles - I actually think it was not the author's intent to have a plot. I think she just wanted a series of repetitive sentences to get kids to recognize and remember the same words. That's why I have a feeling the next installments will follow a similar game plan as this book.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Do we know yet if Toni is going to still be a superhero in the follow-on books? Or was that only the first one? It might not fit in as well with what he does next.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:16 Do we know yet if Toni is going to still be a superhero in the follow-on books? Or was that only the first one? It might not fit in as well with what he does next.
It will be interesting to see if he is still a superhero. I thought he was actually a superhero in this book, although I see some members just thought he was dressing up as one.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I could see more of the same in a second book installment.
Repetitive nature.
It would be interesting to see him interact more - maybe in school or on a field trip or even a weekend with his family could be pleasant.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I really hope Toni plays out some kind of superhero fantasy in the next installment. Maybe show him playing with toys at the beginning and it becomes a full-scale adventure! I think that would be really fun.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think Toni will still be portrayed as a superhero, after all, superheroes stick with their costumes once they choose them. I think the words and sentence structure will become more complex in each book, but in very minor ways. It does seem like there are endless possibilities for books based on things and activities that Toni likes. I think this could make a great collection of books, but $9.99 per book is a little steep.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I think the repetitive nature of the writing will continue. It gives a chance to use sight words over and over, and it will build their confidence in their reading skills.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

It says on the very last page of the book I read, Toni Likes Vegtables, Toni Likes to read, and Toni Saves The Day. So I think they are going to be more stories that encourage children to do certain things.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

I suspect that being these books are meant to teach, there will be a progressive level to the stories. The author uses very simple sentences and ideas in this book, and like a good teacher, the sentences and ideas will gradually develop, gaining complexity and plot as they go along. The student/child will be able to develop along with the book series.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I noticed that a few reviewers criticised the book for its lack of plot. I also noticed that the upcoming books will address some of their concerns as in, Toni will get to go on a few more adventures and deal with different things.

Nothing wrong with that approach, but then as kfwilson6 above notes, you would expect a reasonable price for each book. Because the books are so simple, I don't see that a child will spend a great deal of time on each one. Or am I being optimistic here? Each of the books is quite short.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I think the author will explore aspects of the main character that she thought of after finishing the first book/while writing it. Things she believes are important for a child to learn early in life.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I think if the writer continues in the same trend she began of Toni participating in ordinary activities to achieve superhero status, we would be likely to see more of the same; Toni's involvement in everyday chores which can be numerous.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

If there is a Toni Saves the Day, maybe we will find out whether or not Toni is a superhero. I'm curious how exactly the day will need saving.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”