Official Review: Imagined Loss by DE Holland

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Imagined Loss by DE Holland

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Imagined Loss" by DE Holland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagined Loss is a tale of love and heartbreak. Callie and Matt’s story is told by romance author D.E. Holland. The pair were high school sweethearts and had big plans for their future together, but everything changed when Callie discovers Matt kissing another girl. Heartbroken, she flees to Spain, but shortly discovers that she is pregnant. Refusing to contact Matt, she decides to stay in Spain and raise her son with the wonderful Spanish family who she lives with. Callie learns to love again when Raoul, a handsome Spanish gentleman, falls in love with her. Years later, after Raoul’s death, she moves back to America as a successful author and decides to reach out to Matt, who has become a celebrity. Will she allow Matt to explain what really happened when they were teenagers? Can Matt forgive her for keeping his son from him? More importantly, can they find love together again?

I really enjoyed this story. The author managed to capture the emotions of the characters quite well. I saw Callie’s character develop from a teenager to an emotionally intelligent adult. Teenagers are usually spontaneous when it comes to their emotions and this was accurately portrayed when Callie ran away to Spain. I was also able to relate to the heartbreak Callie felt because I have experienced infidelity in my first relationship - strangely, my boyfriend's name was also Matt.

I also liked the Spanish setting in this book. It added to the romantic theme of the story and I enjoyed reading about Spanish culture and cuisine. I have never eaten tapas before, but I put it on my list of new foods to try after reading about it in this story. Other Spanish elements such as the language were reflected in the dialogue. This added to the exotic setting and contributed to the credibility of the Spanish characters.

Unfortunately, the story contained many errors including the incorrect use of tenses, spelling errors, and lack of fullstops. Additionally, one of the biggest concerns I had with this book was that the characters’ names were spelled incorrectly on more than one occasion. For instance, ‘Callie,’ was spelled ‘Calle,’ and ‘Didier,’ was spelled, ‘Dieder.’ I found this to be a little irritating while reading.

Overall, I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because of the errors. Once the book is edited, readers will find it to be an excellent reading experience. I think that every romance reader will find something they like in this book because it contains a variety of subjects such as travel, parenting, the joy of children, a first-love romance and also a mature romance.

Imagined Loss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

This doesn't sound like a book that I would personally enjoy, but I will definitely recommend it to my friends that love a dramatic love story.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Characterisation plays an important role in any story, however, I don't think I will be able to read this due to the errors. Amazing review though!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow, moving to Spain after witnessing your boyfriend kissing someone else? That seems like quite the drastic change. Wonder if Callie and Matt will rekindle their after so much has happened? It's great to hear that the author has captured the characters' emotions well, and that the Spanish culture and romance meshed together well. Too bad about the amount of errors, especially the misspelling of characters' names. They can definitely be distracting. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this first-love romance, despite the errors, though! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Your review makes me want to read this book because of the character development and the great settings, but the fact that the characters' names are misspelled in places would really annoy me. Maybe after some more editing, I'll check this out. I enjoyed the review, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

hsimone wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 03:50 Wow, moving to Spain after witnessing your boyfriend kissing someone else? That seems like quite the drastic change. Wonder if Callie and Matt will rekindle their after so much has happened? It's great to hear that the author has captured the characters' emotions well, and that the Spanish culture and romance meshed together well. Too bad about the amount of errors, especially the misspelling of characters' names. They can definitely be distracting. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this first-love romance, despite the errors, though! Thank you for sharing!
Yeah I thought it was really drastic too, but I suppose teens can sometimes be like that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

SamSim wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 10:35 Your review makes me want to read this book because of the character development and the great settings, but the fact that the characters' names are misspelled in places would really annoy me. Maybe after some more editing, I'll check this out. I enjoyed the review, though!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Sam. I was so frustrated with the misspelled names. I hope that it gets another round of editing because the story was enjoyable :)
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review about the book which is about teenage love and romance and later heart break and separation, love and romance in those tender years have higher emotional effect
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”