Official Review: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

I’m not a huge fan of magic realism, so as the review suggests, I’m not sure this book would be for me!
Doris Mbotela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do57.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Doris Mbotela »

This is an honest review. Tells you what to expect and therefore enables you to decide whether to read the book or not.
Chanti Stargirl
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanti-stargirl.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Chanti Stargirl »

With the prose, magic, and underlying messages all woven into a beautiful story, this sounds like an amazing book. I definitely want to read this one. Thank you for your review.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Thank you for the great review I am going to add this book to my shelf.
Chelsea N. Hackett
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

Thanks for your review. Your highlights make the book sound interesting. I think I'll take a read.
wizzyjaiye2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wizzyjaiye2000 »

My review on the improbable wonders of moojie little man by Robin Gregory:

In this YA coming-of-age novel, a disabled boy goes to live on his grandfather’s farm, meets a mysterious clan, and discovers special powers.

All Moojie wants to do is belong, but he never seems to fit in. Discovered as a foundling in a small California coastal town in 1892—with the name “Moojie” scrawled on his forehead—he’s adopted by the Littlemans. As a very small child, he can make objects fly using only his mind, among other unusual abilities. But he “didn’t talk or walk when he should have,” and “his left arm seemed only half-awake”; he needs crutches and leg braces as well, which disappoints his Papa. Moojie grows up lonely with only one friend: a deaf cat named Phineas. His warm, loving Mamma dies when he’s 8, and Papa takes the boy and his cat to his father Pappy’s place, St. Isidore’s Fainting Goat Dairy in the Valley of Sorrows. Although he’s warned against Hostiles in the surrounding wilderness, Moojie—now a teenager—glimpses a barefoot girl stealing eggs, and he’s determined to know more: “He ached for friendship, to be a valued member of something. That girl couldn’t have been alone.” He seeks out her clan; they come from far away, speak in riddles, address Moojie as “my lord,” and have much to teach him. He falls for Babylonia, the beautiful egg-stealer, and discovers within himself the ability to heal animals and people—but when trouble brews on several fronts, Moojie faces a difficult choice. Gregory’s debut novel weaves together familiar elements, such as an outcast with special powers, in unexpected ways. Moojie is endearing and sympathetic but never infantilized because of his disability. Despite the book’s many serious themes, which Gregory handles well, it also has a light touch. The author’s verbal playfulness adds to the book’s fun, as when an aunt swallows Moojie “in a pentamorous hug, her body all tentacles and suction.” The book’s mysticism is lucidly presented, and its magical realism is effective, moving, and heartening.

A lively, original take on a story of a boy with more limits—and more magic—than most.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

An enchanting tale about family and finding one's inner strength. This YA adult story seems appealing. Thanks for the review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

i like to read such magic and supernatural book especially which are for young and adults. Thanks for review giving insight of the book which makes it more intriguing especially the character Moojie
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Varsha saini
Favorite Book: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Currently Reading: Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Varsha saini »

Heyy!! Thankyou for such a great review. The quote "aye, waiting for love is like waiting for yesterday" made me excited to read this book. It seems such an intresting book because it talks about family and what to do when you are dissatisfied with your family and i would love to know what is the writer's point of view on that. Great going tanaya.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

The line between fantasy and magical realism is quite thin; I think often it's just about the quality of the prose. I think I'll give this one a miss, though. Thanks for the excellent review!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Taking charge of your destiny is the best decision one could ever make. Life is what you have made and its all depends on you. This is really a thought provoking situation. Thanks for the review.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I really appreciate your review as it is very indepth and provides a really good insight about the book. I got ibterested in the story about the family part. Where the protagonist wanted to belong to a family. I think i could reconsider this one.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

Wow! I have to get this book. The struggle to belong is for many and a story that talks about it is something I'm super interested in. I can't wait to check out those surprises. Great review!
Kirbylini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirbylini.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Kirbylini »

I really like that it's not black and white who the bad guy is, it's more realistic that way. Moojie's character development sounds interesting too. It's frustrating when character's talk in riddles, but if it's done right then it's very rewarding. The hardest part about getting into a book for me is the beginning, but this sounds like it starts off well so I will check it out.
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

Lovely review. A book that revolves around magic and abandoned child that sounds very interesting.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”