Which Character Do You Prefer?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Re: Which Character Do You Prefer?

Post by P Reefer »

Duke, fascinates me. I loved his swagger, his joie de vivre and his determination to get back on his feet and to remake himself when it becomes necessary for his survival.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Not necessary a fan of his lifestyle choices, but, no question, I preferred Duke's character, as a sword swallower because I did find his story more compelling.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I preferred Duke over Gary. Duke had greater caring for other people and most of his actions were self-destructive rather than hurtful to others. Gary didn't seem to care much other people's feelings and didn't try to improve himself until he met Duke.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I do not think I have a preference but I think that Duke was smart and worldly. He had a eccentric life. He had interesting friends. He was kind. He was an avid reader. He studied while in prison. Then he tried to help Gary.

Although I understand Gary suffered a lot with his alcoholic mother, I think he ended up losing himself during his time in college, which was super wild. He could have chosen a different path. Meeting Duke was a godsend that changed his life.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

I prefer reading about Duke; I love his larger-than-life personality and experiences. His story had me on the edge of my seat. However, I related most to Gary. I liked READING about Duke better, but I liked Gary AS A PERSON. It's a hard comparison. Their distinctions is what makes the book work. If they were too similar, Part Two would not be compelling. But if there weren't comparisons, then Part Three wouldn't be compelling. I think the differences of setting, career paths, and relationships was well-told.
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

Duke definitely seems like he has it more together even when he was still dealing with alcohol abuse. The only thing that bothered me was his lack of faith and his passion in persuading Gary that God doesn't exist. If he wants to be an atheist that's fine but I didn't appreciate how he tried to sway Gary from his own beliefs. I do feel like Duke had some great advice for Gary though. He was older and wiser and Gary learned a lot of valuable things from Duke.
tkrapish
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkrapish.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by tkrapish »

I like the character of Duke. Yes he had many flaws, but he also had a deep way of looking at others. There were many times in the book where Duke showed concern for others or had compassion for them. I found him an interesting character because in some ways he did grow up when helping other people in his life. Unfortunately I don't think Duke grew up enough to care about himself. Duke did work to mentor Gary and should receive credit for caring enough to help another person not go down the road that he did.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

(spoilers!)
If we had seen more of Gary's life after Duke passed away, I feel like I would have liked him more. As the book is, Duke is more compelling to me, because we see him overcome his demons and grow into a much more mature and wise person. Gary stays the same up until Duke's death, and then the book ends. We never get to see him develop fully in the same way Duke does.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I didn't really like either one of these characters, but Duke was more interesting.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I found Gary more interesting actually and I relate more to him than Duke
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Duke is a street smart guy who knows how to work his thing. Gary on the other hand seems absent-minded and never really doing what his passion is all about.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

All characters were interesting but I liked Duke more. He knew the consequences of his actions and he owned his flaws
CorundumAl2O3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Sphere</a>
Currently Reading: The Snowball
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corundumal2o3.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B01J94T29W

Post by CorundumAl2O3 »

Duke Reynolds hands down!!!
I sympathized with him and the author really went deep into his back story and lifestyle in the circus and outside of it.
Gary Robinson....meh.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I believe both characters are unique but I prefer Duke's character. He seems to have more hard times.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I found Duke to be a more interesting and compelling character. He seems to be more layered and complex and goes through a journey in the book. You find yourself sympathizing with him and what he is going through. Gary wasn't nearly as interesting to me.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”