Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Leonardo da Vinci is an episodic character in the novel. Considering the overabundance of fictional books using his life as a pretext, would you agree with such a marketing strategy?

Do you think that Fioretta and Giuliano’s story and the different references to Leonardo’s work are reasons enough to use his name in the title? Is it ethical or not?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I wouldn't say there's anything unethical about it. The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Since da Vinci is a very well-known artist, it might spark as a marketing strategy but there's nothing unethical in doing so despite the fact that the author is using his name. I agree with what Dael Reader said, "The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together."
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Dael Reader wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:00 I wouldn't say there's anything unethical about it. The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together.
You may be right about that, but think of the resemblance between the cover of this book and that of Dan Brown's book. Such a resemblance coupled with da Vinci's name in the title induces the idea that the two books are similar. In this case, fans of Dan Brown would be quick to check it out. I did the same only to discover they are completely different in terms of the writing style as well as character and plot development. This is the reason why I called it a potential marketing strategy and I wondered whether it was ethical or not.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Dolor wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 20:59 Since da Vinci is a very well-known artist, it might spark as a marketing strategy but there's nothing unethical in doing so despite the fact that the author is using his name. I agree with what Dael Reader said, "The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together."
For the sake of argument, have patience with me for a second. When I read the title "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci", what do I think of? I imagine I would learn a lot of things about da Vinci, things from his personal as well as his professional life. You've already said what a famous artist da Vinci was. Besides, there are so many things we don't know about his complex personality. He expressed himself in so many domains. Does the novel rise to the level of my expectations as promised by the title? I would say no, considering it turns out to be nothing more than a romance which uses da Vinci's name and the paranormal elements to lure more readers.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:57
Dael Reader wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:00 I wouldn't say there's anything unethical about it. The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together.
You may be right about that, but think of the resemblance between the cover of this book and that of Dan Brown's book. Such a resemblance coupled with da Vinci's name in the title induces the idea that the two books are similar. In this case, fans of Dan Brown would be quick to check it out. I did the same only to discover they are completely different in terms of the writing style as well as character and plot development. This is the reason why I called it a potential marketing strategy and I wondered whether it was ethical or not.
Dael Reader wrote: I see what you mean now. You're right, it is reminiscent of the Dan Brown cover and very much could be a potential marketing strategy. Which does make the author seem bit sneaky. I personally would not do such a thing, but unethical is a strong term.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:57
"Dael Reader"user_id=732648 wrote: Also, Angela is apparently the reincarnation of Fioretta, wife of Guiliano Medici and muse of Leonardo da Vinci. Angela is "channeling" Fioretta's memories. So she is the girl who knew da Vinci. (Incidentally, I'm actually only half-way through the book, and I am not impressed with the reincarnation storyline. ) {/quote]
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am sure the author wanted readers to remember Dan Brown's controversial and highly successful book. I don't know if there would be problems with copyright infringement or other laws on publishing. But I guess Belle Ami got what she wanted. Here we are comparing her book to Brown's.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I also think that the name has much marketing value than its relevance to the story. Yet, it is da vinci, the character who holds the strands of story together so, I don't think that is unethical
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I don't think there's anything unethical about using da Vinci's name for the title. I think it's simply a means to draw a prospective reader's attention since da Vinci is such a well-known painter and innovator.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

I mean, sure it's super relevant to the plot, and that's a good excuse for the title, but I'm of a very cynical disposition and i would say it's just a marketing strategy. but not a very clever one.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I think this is a scenario where it can be both. As others have said, the character holds the story together, but if his name in the title also draws readers to the book or at least make them do a double take, there's nothing wrong with that either :)
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

Although I agree that Da Vinci is part of the main cause of the overall storyline, it could have been used as a marketing strategy. Fans of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code (which are many) would immediately feel urged to read this book due to the similarities that seem to be connected between the two almost completely different books.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Considering that I’ve seen charity shops with signs in the window saying ’please, no more Da Vinci Codes’, I’m not sure that it’s a good selling point. It might have been a bestseller, but few people hung on to it after reading it. Personally, I thought The Day Vinci Code was tripe. Brown has written much better books.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Dolor wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 20:59 Since da Vinci is a very well-known artist, it might spark as a marketing strategy but there's nothing unethical in doing so despite the fact that the author is using his name. I agree with what Dael Reader said, "The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together."
I agree. It's not exactly clickbait but it does help the selling of the book. Unethical? I don't think so. But it is good to question these things.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”