Official Review: Guide For Ushering In The 21st Century

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: Guide For Ushering In The 21st Century

Post by EricaWilson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guide For Ushering In The 21st Century" by Gladys T. Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gladys Tywanna Smith’s Guide for Ushering in the 21st Century takes the reader behind the scenes of Trinity Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. This short novel provides insight into the church’s struggle to establish a united and reliable leadership team. Gladys Tywanna Smith is placed in charge of training the ushers, but the task proves to be much more daunting than it may seem. She can’t seem to find anyone that matches her passion for ushering, as evident by the overwhelming amount of opposition she receives from those around her. However, Smith knows that God has called her to his service, and she never allows her efforts to solidify her church’s leadership team to dwindle.

I enjoyed the many bible verses sprinkled throughout the novel. They connect Smith’s teachings to those of Christ and reveal how the Word of God dictates her actions. The key points of the text are also highlighted in bold. This was very helpful to me because it allowed me to pick out the main themes and ideas to remember from the story.

What is so unique about this autobiographical narrative is that it partly reads like a novel. Many people can become disinterested with Christian books that make them feel as if they are being preached to with every word. Smith’s novel does include many of these long insightful phrases, but the author frequently incorporates her own experiences to keep the plot moving forward.

After reading Smith’s guide, I have a new appreciation for the ushers at my church. I had no idea how much work actually went into ushering. Ushers are there to provide for their guest’s every need and to make sure that each visitor has the best experience possible. They are the friendly face that every guest sees as they arrive, and they are in charge of making sure every person is seated comfortably for the service. For the entirety of the sermon, they are focused on watching over the church and are prepared to spring to action in the case of an emergency.

While very informational, the text could be a little repetitive at times. There were a few grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes that I saw as well. Because of this, I feel that Smith’s Guide for Ushering in the 21st Century should receive 3 out of 4 stars. Anyone looking to become more active in their church or even just wanting to know more about how to lead through faith should pick up this quick and easy read.

Guide For Ushering In The 21st Century
View: on Bookshelves

Like EricaWilson's review? Post a comment saying so!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thanks for a great review. I'm good you enjoyed this book. Gladys certainly is devoted to her calling and obviously wants to share her passion with others.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I had no idea that ushering in church was "a thing" - it's just something I never thought of before. Thanks for an informative review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like a great book for a church leader of any denomination. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the review; it certainly brings to light how much goes on behind the scenes during a service.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I never would have given thought to the ushers at church before! I mean, I know they are there, but never have been the focus of my attention. What a unique book this sounds like. It will make me more aware of those behind the scenes people who are serving. Good job on this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This doesn't seem like a book I would read anytime soon, however, I loved your review of it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I have to admit, the title sounded boring, but your review reveals the depth of this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”