Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
M Nshangika
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 25

Re: Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Post by M Nshangika »

I think it is an art. It is meant to be entertaining, and whether or not it actually goes down the magician's throat, it entertains us and keeps us on our toes. it is highly dangerous, so it is something that you have to practice at, constantly before you can do it successfully.
M Nshangika
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by M Nshangika »

meadhbh wrote: 03 May 2018, 08:44 I would imagine that when sword-swallowers begin training, they probably don't use sharp swords to start off with, in order to prevent the risk should something go wrong. Then, once they're able to do it successfully, the likely move on to real swords. Even so, it seems incredibly dangerous.
Yes, I support your opinion. There was a story of this magician that passed a sword through his hand without bleeding and it was discovered that he cut into himself repeatedly until it scarred over a hole in his hand that he then used to perform his trick.
Magic acts and/or tricks both require effort and in some cases pain. They should be appreciated.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I believe sword swallowing is a art although I must say a very dangerous art that needs to be learnt. It is not a trick.
bwill93
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bwill93.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by bwill93 »

Helpme71 wrote: 03 May 2018, 08:14 I believe that it is a skill, as long as it is an actual sword and not a sword that is fake or collapsible. I have seen real sword-swallowers at circuses before and it is absolutely stunning how they are able to do that. I don't think Duke is a fraud, as long as he is "swallowing" real swords and not fake or collapsible ones.
I agree with this entirely. If someone swallows a fake sword, then that's simply a great illusion or trick. But if it's a real sword, then that's real talent. For someone to risk their life for the entertainment and amazement of others is truly brilliant, and I would consider that performance art.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Cswrawr wrote: 04 May 2018, 16:45 I'd say sure, it's a trick, but that doesn't discount it also being an art. I don't believe sword swallowers go down to the local magic and illusion shop for their retractable sword and instantly become performers, it takes work and (I imagine) tons of practice to pull off something that looks realistic.
Practice does make perfect. However a picture is worth a thousand words. How can people discount the creditable evidence of a x-ray. This topic is always debatable and proof of this extraordinary skill has been documented through pictures. In order to prove that this feat was real, doctors have witnessed first hand the progression of swallowing a sword by taking pictures from start to finish.

Many people are unable to comprehend how sword swallowing could possiblably be real because the brain can't get past what is logically impossible.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Uche Balogun wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:51 Like most, if not all magic, I think it's a trick.
Here is where the problem lies with beliefs that sword swallowing is a trick and not real. Magic is based on false illusions which boils down to deception which equals a trick. However, the art and skill in sword swallowing has nothing to do with magic. Just like magicians and illusionists are able to trick your mind into believing that what they are trully doing is real. This works in the opposite direction when your mind cannot get around the notion that something that defies logic and reason, people will continue to see this skilled talent as a trick, or illusion.
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

The character Duke Reynolds is absolutely is a trick of a magician who appears to perform a bizarre act he does not actually perform.
It’s unbelievable that such a character can be considered sane and not demonic to think of swallowing a sword?
In fact what takes away from the story about Duke Reynolds is the feelings and the meaning the phrase “Sword swallower and Chico Kid “evokes in the readers’ mind: I did not finish reading the book after reading Chapter one because of the stated reason.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I still do think it is a trick. Learning to swallow a sword can be easy if practiced with a less harmful blunt object. I feel Duke had his own tricks because we see him sweating while performing the activity. It is not an art, it's a trick.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Divine Onah
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Divine Onah »

sword swallowing to me its like a trick that looks real, but a trick is always a trick.
LeaNyathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanyathi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by LeaNyathi »

PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 06:26 I believe your question in the title of the post and your question in the body of your post are two different questions, so I'm going to treat them as such.

I'll start with the question in the title:
Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?
Wikipedia (and I'm in agreement with them) defines art as
a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art). So, I would say that, yes, sword swallowing is an art according to this definition.

The Google dictionary defines "trick" as
a cunning act or scheme intended to deceive or outwit someone.
and
a skilful act performed for entertainment or amusement.
(https://www.google.co.jp/search?rlz=1C1 ... dobs=trick). Based on this definition, sword swallowing could really fall under either category. If it's true, honest sword swallowing then it's just entertainment. If it's not actual sword swallowing, and the performer has every intention of passing it off as real sword swallowing (I'm not accounting for comedic acts here), then it is absolutely a deception.

So, if Duke is actually swallowing swords, then it could be considered an art and a trick. Granted, I think this particular performance being considered art could be debatable. However, if Duke is pretending to swallow swords with the express intent on deceiving his audience into believing he's doing the real thing, and not for comedic purposes, then it's just a scheme.

As for your question posed in the body of your post,
Do you believe that sword swallowing is a practice that can actually be taught and learned?
, it is in fact a skill that can be taught and learned. This Wikipedia page even gives a brief history on it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_swallowing). You can even Google the performance and read other sources about it. That said, Vg345 is absolutely correct. Sword swallowing is extremely dangerous and can result in injury, sometimes fatal. The Wikipedia page I linked above briefly covers injuries too.

P.S. I only reference Wikipedia, because it offers brief reading and sources for further perusal in one is so inclined.
These are very interesting questions and I think gen_g answered them nicely. I could never watch nor ever try sword swallowing. I do not find it entertaining at all.
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

The character Duke Reynolds is absolutely is a trick of a magician who appears to perform a bizarre act he does not actually perform.
It’s unbelievable that such a character can be considered sane and not demonic to think of swallowing a sword?
In fact what takes away from the story about Duke Reynolds is the feelings and the meaning the phrase “Sword swallower and Chico Kid “evokes in the readers’ mind: I did not finish reading the book after reading Chapter one because of the stated reason.
JasonAlolor
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasonalolor.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by JasonAlolor »

For me Sword Shallower is dangerous to the most common people. Though maybe it can be learned through practice but the one doing it must have had the ability and courage to be able to acquire the kind of skill.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

teacherjh wrote: 03 May 2018, 11:08
meadhbh wrote: 03 May 2018, 08:44 I would imagine that when sword-swallowers begin training, they probably don't use sharp swords to start off with, in order to prevent the risk should something go wrong. Then, once they're able to do it successfully, the likely move on to real swords. Even so, it seems incredibly dangerous.
My friend said that normally people practice using a wired coat hanger, they shape it to the form of a real sword. He also said that the most difficult part of being able to swallow a sword is believing that you can do it. He described it as mind over matter. Knowing that he can do it is te reason he is able to relax muscles that normally are not something that is done voluntarily.
I agree. The way it's described in the book seems real and why wouldn't the author tell us if it was a trick? Still, I did find it a little over the top that he used 5 swords.
Most people are not satisfied with what they have already accomplished. The thrill to push the boundaries is like a rush of excitmentt to them. The more dangerous the act, the more attention it attracks to people. It is more a risk seeker wouldd do to see how far he can go.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 10 May 2018, 20:41
Cswrawr wrote: 04 May 2018, 16:45 I'd say sure, it's a trick, but that doesn't discount it also being an art. I don't believe sword swallowers go down to the local magic and illusion shop for their retractable sword and instantly become performers, it takes work and (I imagine) tons of practice to pull off something that looks realistic.
Practice does make perfect. However a picture is worth a thousand words. How can people discount the creditable evidence of a x-ray. This topic is always debatable and proof of this extraordinary skill has been documented through pictures. In order to prove that this feat was real, doctors have witnessed first hand the progression of swallowing a sword by taking pictures from start to finish.

Many people are unable to comprehend how sword swallowing could possiblably be real because the brain can't get past what is logically impossible.
Your response inspired me to read more about it and I found an article from Scientific American that was pretty interesting but my throat hurts just thinking about. I can't imagine what the first person to try it was thinking lol
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

After a preliminary research of the topic, I learned that it is indeed an art or a learned skill. There is a saying in my country you live and you learn. Reading about this actual ancient art was quite fascinating as well as learning more about the origins of sword swallowing.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”