When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
complimentarymatters
Bookshelf Size: 0

When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Post by complimentarymatters »

When you have kids are you going to make them read? If you already have kids, did you make them read?

On one hand, you want kids who read, and read well. On the other hand, you don't want to make your kids dislike reading by forcing it on them. What do you think?
awelker

Post by awelker »

i think reading to them will help them decide if they like reading or not. i mean my mom read to me from a young age and now i love reading and always will. i also think that books are there kids might be inclined to pick them up and read them.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
knightss

Post by knightss »

Children tend to imitate their parents from a young age so, in my personal opinion, i think the best way to get your children to read is not only to read to them but to have them observe you reading, it will spark their interest in books.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

My kids love to read, more like be read to, they are pretty young. They are 5 and 4. They see me reading, buying books, going to the library. I didn't read myself when they were babies because I was too busy but I picked it back up again in 2005. I read to them constantly, plus they have a pretty big library of books themselves. I don't think I would 'make' my kids read because then they wouldn't enjoy it, they might feel like it is a chore. I think I will continue to buy books, take them to the library, let them pick out books from their school book fairs, scholastic order forms, whatever keeps them motivated is okay. If they decided they like something I don't like then that is okay too. I will encourage them and if they don't like it, maybe they will when they are older. I went through times when I didn't read. In high school I worked a lot, belonged to a lot of clubs, sports, I never read. I do now! People change their likes!
babypinkcandygirl

Post by babypinkcandygirl »

neither of my parents read a book in their life but my dad decided that it would be different for me and my first memory is of my dad taking me to the library to check out topsy and tim books. he would take me once a week on a friday night and i loved it! i think if books become a part of everyday life and arent equated with boredom or punishment then most children will naturally gravitate towards books anyway
what's your top ten...?
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

I think people who live in rural areas read more too. I remember when I was in middle school we lived in the middle of nowhere plus i had a 45 minute bus ride home. I read a lot more then I did when we moved to a bigger area with more kids to play with. Erin
lovesbooks06

Post by lovesbooks06 »

When i have kids hopefully one day. I will proplary read to them but i would leave it up to them if there wanted to read there own books when there got older.
starlit

Post by starlit »

when i have children i won't force them to read, but i will read to them.
and if they like reading that would be more than wonderful.
if they don't i won't mind.

my parents never read to me or even told me i should read, but i'm a very avid reader anyway.
mmenzel

Post by mmenzel »

My children (now grown) have always seen me with a book in my hand. The are not really "readers" but they can read well and that is the key. Reading and comprehending what you have read is 99.9% of learning. So as long a children CAN read well, I would leave the "wanting to read" up to them. :)
Kim J

Post by Kim J »

I have read to my daughter since before she was born, and she loves to read. If she didn't, that would be fine, but I think she likes it because it is part of how she was raised, and either my husband or I are always reading - and of course she wants to be just like us!
The Guildmaster

Post by The Guildmaster »

I am lucky in that 2 of my 3 girls love to read. But I also try to encourage them to read those books that will enrich their lives.

If you have teenagers, this is near impossible. So I bribe them. I encourage them to read any books they want and they purchase the ones they want. But I also have a list for them that if they choose from, Not only will I purchase the book for them...I will also pay them when they finish reading it and write me a brief report on the the book.

They get paid after I sit down with them and question them on what they learned and try to guide them to what I would like them to learn about the world around them from the book.

Some have criticized me for this but I feel the lessons they learn are far more valuable than the money I pay them. And I do not force them in any way. They are free to choose the material they wish to read. I merely give them some incentive to read books that I feel should be read by all.

I feel this is one of the best ways to give an allowance. My kids are paid on results...not just a set amount of time (ie $20 week). I feel this sets them up to see the world as full of opportunities to to make money rather than look for a safe secure job and just trade time for a paycheck.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I am not going to make them read, but I am certainly going to read from them from the day I discover they are in the womb for as long as I can. Hopefully my love of reading will be infectious to them!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Libellus

Post by Libellus »

Read to them, let them see you reading.
Books and reading should be fun. Something you want to do and enjoy.
"make" and "force" dont (imo) sit well with this - but I see what you want.

Just rememebr what the great DottyP said when she was challenged to use "horticulture" in a sentence.
<A bit off beam but I love the quote>
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

:D Of course. Feed those little brains :P I think everyone has stated the obvious, read to them...let them see you reading, let them read to you. I think above all you should do your very best to much it a fun experience, and storytelling (reading) can be so much fun. I had put some suggestions in another thread, but doing the voices of characters, puppets, going outdoors, dressing up as favorite authors or characters, letting the child feel important by taking them to the bookstore and allowing them to pick out their own books...maybe at Christmas and birthday's slip a book in with all the other gifts..you never know..and it certainly could never hurt one to receive a book. lol. There are so many..many ways to encourage children to read! :)
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

When I was a kid I was always looking to be entertained, whether it be by movies (I was never REALLY into broadcast TV), video games or books, but whenever I finished a book my parents would always let me get another one whereas wenever I finished a video game I had to wait until the next Christmas/birthday. I've always liked reading from a young age and now think that it might be because of my parent's... not necessarily pro-reading stance, but more pro than any other hobby I might have had. They certainly didn't mind the quiet.:-)

And now that I have a daughter of my own I read to her. I'm a very animated individual and she laughs whenever I read to her. I like it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”