Descriptive Language

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Descriptive Language

Post by Lgs1089 »

I am currently reading Ironbark Hill. So far, so good, however, is it just me, or is the language overly descriptive? If I isolate each sentence, the writing is beautiful, but at times, I'm stalled by the use of 2 or more adjectives modifying just about every noun. I'm not sure if I'm becoming used to the style, but it does seem to be getting better the further I get in this novel, but I'm curious to know other's thoughts on this particular matter.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

It did seem at times that the author strained grammatical rules past their breaking point with her phrasing. It put a lot of mental load on me as a reader. I got used to it somewhat as I got further into the novel, but lots of sentences were still very dense with description. And often dense with mentions of distinctively Australian plants and landscapes I wasn’t familiar with.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Pritha Banerjee
Currently Reading: Some Prefer Nettles
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Pritha Banerjee »

Ironbark Hill is a flowing read. However, it seems to be a modernised version of Kipling classics but also in an aloof pattern. Also, it could be crisp which I think is the basic norm of writing a novel. I would be able to judge after completing reading. But these points are vital.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Authors sometimes get so caught up, with the art of writing, that they tend to become too overly expressive, which is understandable.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I admire writing that is highly descriptive and flowery, but only if it works well. If it's difficult to read and understand, then it's really just an overload on the brain, like has been mentioned. Being able to write well is a trainable skill, but being able to write flowery descriptions that flow and read well is a talent that is an artform. Some people can do it, most can't, in my opinion.
Vendlyss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vendlyss.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Vendlyss »

It is definitely sometimes a hard line to toe. I've read books where the author describes every feature of a field, and I nearly die of boredom. This also applies, what sounds to be in this case, overly expressing what should have remained mundane. However, if you're not descriptive enough, you have failed to paint an effective picture for your reader.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Irene C wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 23:16 It did seem at times that the author strained grammatical rules past their breaking point with her phrasing. It put a lot of mental load on me as a reader. I got used to it somewhat as I got further into the novel, but lots of sentences were still very dense with description. And often dense with mentions of distinctively Australian plants and landscapes I wasn’t familiar with.
I strongly agree! The mental strain goes even farther with the dialogue. The reader has to switch mindsets between the narrative and conversations. I think it was meant to sound like Natalie was telling the story when she was older and to show just how much she has grown and developed. I think it went too far and the juxtaposition just made it hard to continuously read without having to stop and go back for clarity.

The mention of all the Australian plants and landscapes were especially hard for me. They were interesting once I knew what things were but it was hard to understand without stopping to do an internet search on everything. Most authors get around this by saying things like "oak tree" instead of "oak" the first time it's introduced.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

Vendlyss wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 20:50 It is definitely sometimes a hard line to toe. I've read books where the author describes every feature of a field, and I nearly die of boredom. This also applies, what sounds to be in this case, overly expressing what should have remained mundane. However, if you're not descriptive enough, you have failed to paint an effective picture for your reader.
I agree with this. “What should remain mundane” should also depend on the characters’ personalities, I think. Would they notice most of the scenery and appreciate it in such detail? Would they know all the plant names? Are those descriptions sort of part of their natural internal monologue?

I tried to give this author the benefit of the doubt because Natalie was a character born and raised in this rural setting. I thought a character like that would be more likely to know and look at everything in the scenery.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I think the book is overly described, sometimes the author go to much further in descriptions, as you read the book you almost get used to this way of writing, but at some point, I felt lost.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

OMG, yes. The descriptive language keeps the story moving so slow. It's hard to get through because it affects the pacing so much.
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

The author's use of the descriptive language propels the story forward and the flowery language also adds taste to the story.
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

The author's use of descriptive language gives the story a unique taste. No reader will fail to notice it.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Irene C wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 10:33 “What should remain mundane” should also depend on the characters’ personalities, I think. Would they notice most of the scenery and appreciate it in such detail? Would they know all the plant names? Are those descriptions sort of part of their natural internal monologue?
You raised an excellent point. I, for once, love a very descriptive writing, but it has to describe the right things and respect the protagonist personality. The scenery should be described through Natalie’s eyes and I’m not sure she’d take note of all the naturalistic details.
Berry :wine:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have to say I loved the author's style of writing. This not my usual genre to read and the descriptive writing is what drew me in.
AlyLiv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyliv.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by AlyLiv »

I did find some of the description to be a bit overbearing. I've run into a couple of books in the past that were like that and personally, it didn't get much easier to read with time. It does take longer than usual to read books like that, but it's sometimes worth plowing through it for the plot.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”