Movie adaptation?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Movie adaptation?

Post by ostercl »

Book_Worm_2018 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 20:22 :ugeek2: it really depends on who makes the movie and what their mindset is. It could go either way.
I agree a 100% - this would either be a very successful, and thought provoking movie OR it would be a complete mess.
kabuga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabuga.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by kabuga »

I find the book more like a movie because it has similar scenes like in the movie it ha s many round characters which made it like a movie.
Kanyin2000
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kanyin2000 »

I never really was a fan of movie adaptations. For example look at Divergent and Twilight, both movies never really lived up to their books.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I'm not certain if "Final Notice" will work as well as an adapted screenplay, as I believe most books are best left to the imagination when read. But, then it again, it may be interesting to see the characters in living color.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Yes! This book can make a great film though a thrilling one that can have you over eating popcorns.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

While I prefer books to movies, this book makes me think it would be good for a movie adaptation, minus some lengthy discussions. The incident with the parking lot thug could have set the beginning,just like the book. I suppose most of the dialogues (including inner thoughts) of Vince would have to be edited to a minimal but absolutely necessary few. But the action parts like the attack on Vince and Miles, on Rasha's school, Rasha's past experience... They could create some excellent scenes for the movie. I feel details of Vijay's ongoing romance and all the past history of the senator, or other people receiving the 'Final Notice' should not be in the movie. Also the pace has to be quick, with VitalTech, FBI and journalists catching up with the number and whereabouts of the deaths faster. The ending will probably be more apt in a movie than the book.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Since the book deals with several very critical but important issues, I feel a movie adaptation will help the message to reach a larger number of people,and in turn will make them think.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I have been thinking about this point more frequently even before trying to read the book itself. I have a strong feeling that the movie will be more exciting. Personally, I love watching science fiction movies rather than reading.

This book has the capacity to be put out as a film!
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It depends how it would be made. It could make a great movie, but most of the books-turned-to-movies out there don't (for me of course). However, if you imagine the best possible scenario than sure.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It would be a great movie, but much care would have to be taken, as it addresses an extremely sensitive topic, especially in today's political climate.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I don't know if there ever is a great way to transition a book into a movie. Things are always going to have to be cut and changed, and, a lot of times, it results in destroying the true nature of the original story in the novel.

(I'm a bit biased. The movie version of Dan Brown's Inferno destroyed my trust.)
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I am often disappointed with movie adaptations, so for books that I really like, I'd prefer to read and not watch them. The portrayal almost always pale in comparison with how I imagine it to be.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I could see it as a movie in that this book is about a relevant issue going on today but I can see it as controversial. Especially that ending where violence is celebrated. They would have to change that to work with today's audience.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I'm kind of undecided on this one. I think the book itself is already kind of set up like a movie with the way the story cut to various groups of characters (it kind of reminded me of a Marvel movie, not sure why but it's a good thing). And of course, the final climatic scene would work really well onscreen.

It's just the inner monologue that makes me think, because that can be quite hard to adapt to screen without narration (and everyone kind of seems to hate narration, oops).
shidawn
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shidawn.html
Latest Review: Jonny the boy from the road by J.n.stephenson

Post by shidawn »

I hadn't thought about it, but I think that this would work really well as a movie. I think it could get pretty graphic, though, and I hope that it was made into a movie, they would leave some scenes to the imagination a little bit. I would be interested to see how the watch looks. Does it look like an ordinary sports watch, or is there something that makes it different? I think the hardest parts to portray in a movie would be some of those moments where we are getting the thoughts of the characters rather than the action.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”