The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: The Final Notice Option

Post by britt13 »

KRay93 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:12 I think that including the option of the "Final Notice" was somewhat hasty and irresponsible. They should have taken into account a psychological study of the possible reactions of patients, especially if they receive the news in a cold and distant manner, without being accompanied by professionals or relatives. As discussed in the book, they should have lowered the "tone" of the concept, to treat it more as a warning or a recommendation.
So you think it would have been okay if they had done more research into how people would react to it? I also think it needed more psychological basis, to others I have talked about how to be in the study I think people would have to agree to be in therapy. The problem with that model though is that I do not think it is sustainable past the testing phase, and I do not think that people should have the watch without being closely monitored.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I really wouldn't want to know the day I'm going to die. I think it would just create a lot of feelings of anxiety surrounding the issue, and knowing doesn't necessarily ease that anxiety. We all know that we're inevitably going to die, but wearing it on your wrist keeps it more present, which would make me uncomfy.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 20:32 I really wouldn't want to know the day I'm going to die. I think it would just create a lot of feelings of anxiety surrounding the issue, and knowing doesn't necessarily ease that anxiety. We all know that we're inevitably going to die, but wearing it on your wrist keeps it more present, which would make me uncomfy.
I agree with you. I guess, If i wear it, my mind will keep on telling me "your final notice is arriving soon!" because I know the functions of the watch. It will not make me comfortable ether.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

britt13 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:31
KRay93 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:12 I think that including the option of the "Final Notice" was somewhat hasty and irresponsible. They should have taken into account a psychological study of the possible reactions of patients, especially if they receive the news in a cold and distant manner, without being accompanied by professionals or relatives. As discussed in the book, they should have lowered the "tone" of the concept, to treat it more as a warning or a recommendation.
So you think it would have been okay if they had done more research into how people would react to it? I also think it needed more psychological basis, to others I have talked about how to be in the study I think people would have to agree to be in therapy. The problem with that model though is that I do not think it is sustainable past the testing phase, and I do not think that people should have the watch without being closely monitored.
Actually, I didn't mean to say that it would be fine if they had done those studies. What I wanted to say, is that if those studies have been carried out, they would have had a better basis to decide what to do about it. Hell, maybe the results would have been enough for them to decide not to include the "Final Notice" in the first place...
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

They studied it and know already the pros and cons, yet the testing phase involves both the young and old to see what would be the result.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

n-dai che wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 12:48 They studied it and know already the pros and cons, yet the testing phase involves both the young and old to see what would be the result.
Well yeah, after they started with just the older. I think it would have behooved them to start with a larger range to begin with.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

In the research field where I am involved, the client will still pursue even if 90% have a negative comment. It is related in the vt2 company. I observed this situation many times.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I would not like to know. It is a given fact that we are born to die. It is something that we can't get around. The fear of dying used to be a big concern for me, but once I accepted God into my life, I know that my time on earth will not be my final resting spot. With that being said, I still could not live my life to the fullest worrying about the moment I will take my last breath. The advancement of technology in the field of medicine has done some wonderful things, but I modern technology has allowed doctors, researcher and scientists to play God.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I would not want this option for my own sports watch. No, thank you!
I do not feel it was wrong to include the Final Notice option in the original test group for this watch. it added to the plot's intrigue, but then, thankfully, this is fiction!
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I doubt I would trust the functionality enough to opt in to that option.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

dtb wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:48 I doubt I would trust the functionality enough to opt in to that option.
That's a good point. I would hate for the system to malfunction and tell me that I am going to die even though I am going to be perfectly fine for quite a while longer.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

It is tempting to know when you will die, but I think it could lead to a lot of mental trauma. Plus, what if hackers were able to access that information? Would you be exploited or discriminated against for how long you might live?
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

sepicatt wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 06:45 I would not want the option on my watch. But it is wrong to include this option period. Think about it. How do doctors discuss when results show a person has cancer, especially terminal cancer? The patient doesn't receive a phone call, they go to the office. There is protocol because of the psyche. So, to receive a message like that from a watch and not know how to process it is dangerous.
Oh yeah! Can you imagine if someone was driving down the street and took a glance at their watch to see who texted them, when WOW, the thing shows he is about to die! I would drive right off the road! Some discretion should be used in letting people know things of this matter!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

Star88 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 12:41 It is tempting to know when you will die, but I think it could lead to a lot of mental trauma. Plus, what if hackers were able to access that information? Would you be exploited or discriminated against for how long you might live?
That would be real bad for the watch advocate. If someone had the watch and has already been told they are going to die in a matter of days, say his boss hacked into it and found out, what would he do? Depending upon the boss and the nature of the job, he may let the guy go; making more grief for the watch owner. Just as bad, the boss may share that information around the office, then the guy would be walking around work wondering why everyone is being so nice to him.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

In a sense, I would want to know because it would give me the opportunity to make things right with my Maker, myself, my friends and my enemies.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”