The Role of Age in Today's Society

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: The Role of Age in Today's Society

Post by Camille Turner »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 05:18
Camille Turner wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:09 I believe the elderly are treated with neglect and often overlooked in general today.
I just hope that the elders will get the respect and love they deserve.
I completely agree — I hope so too!
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 06:50
n-dai che wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 05:26

Hoping for... In my current location, I often heard my neighbors shouting, cursing, and saying unkind words to their elderly. I don't like to hear them. So sad. If only I could report it to the cops. Maybe soon.
That's too terrible! How could they do that to their own elders? I feel you...
Thanks to you! I will just close my eyes when I saw them. Hoping for their children will realize how important they are. :(
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Camille Turner wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 09:50
Camille Turner wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:09 I believe the elderly are treated with neglect and often overlooked in general today.
If only each family knows how to respect and love the elderly because without them. They will not see the world. :(
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I think the problem nowadays is the speed of change. In the past, the elderly passed on their knowledge and were valued for it. Nowadays, technology is in the hands of the young and some elderly people who can’t work computers are left behind and made helpless as shopping and banking all move online.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

Gunnyswife wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 18:36 I honestly believe that the views about the elderly are accurate, which is unfortunate. The major difference with those elderly and ours is that most of them seem to be able to live independently instead of what we have been doing is putting our elders into nursing homes or forcing them to stay with family once something bad happens to them. You could substitute children and the effect would have been worse. Kids are generally very tech savvy but when it comes to common sense there's a wide range to look at.
I also think that the elders were portrayed very accurately in the novel. Like Gunnyswife said the only difference is that the elders are independent in the novel. I have seen this first hand were my grandmother had to live with us for the last years of her lives because she cold not take care of herself. I do think it is tragic how the are viewed but just like children, elders can not take of them self.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I have mixed reactions with this book, but the theme of the elders and how it was handled seemed to me one of its highest points. Although in the vast majority of cases it talks about people who are quite independent or in a frame with a certain presence of family/friends, the approach is very accuratel. Maybe we should see it in the following way: they once took charge of us when we were more vulnerable, for which we should return the favor when the roles switch and they become the vulnerable ones...
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

n-dai che wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:00

If only each family knows how to respect and love the elderly because without them. They will not see the world. :(
Agreed. We should cherish them!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Helen_Combe wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:20 I think the problem nowadays is the speed of change. In the past, the elderly passed on their knowledge and were valued for it. Nowadays, technology is in the hands of the young and some elderly people who can’t work computers are left behind and made helpless as shopping and banking all move online.
I agree. Yet, they still have important lessons to pass on, and I enjoy hearing their stories. No amount of Google or Wikipedia can replace the real-life stories of the people who lived history. Reading history books may allow you some knowledge, but hearing the stories allows you to see the emotion behind them.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Camille Turner wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 17:20
n-dai che wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:00

Agreed. We should cherish them!
Yeah, I am a bit guilty on this situation because sometimes when we are in hot temper. We hurt them. I regretted on this kind of behavior of mine.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

KRay93 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 15:25 I have mixed reactions with this book, but the theme of the elders and how it was handled seemed to me one of its highest points. Although in the vast majority of cases it talks about people who are quite independent or in a frame with a certain presence of family/friends, the approach is very accuratel. Maybe we should see it in the following way: they once took charge of us when we were more vulnerable, for which we should return the favor when the roles switch and they become the vulnerable ones...
Yeah, I can relate with this comment right now. Thanks to you, I got reminded.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Helen_Combe wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:20 I think the problem nowadays is the speed of change. In the past, the elderly passed on their knowledge and were valued for it. Nowadays, technology is in the hands of the young and some elderly people who can’t work computers are left behind and made helpless as shopping and banking all move online.
Your comment makes me realize of my current behavior. We change rapidly and sometimes unnoticeable. Too, many factors affected our changes from time to time that makes our elderly sad for our changes .
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

It's unfortunate, but a fact of today's society. I think if the author replaced "elderly" with "toddlers," there would be so much outrage. There should be outrage at this level as well.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by zilizopita1998 »

"What would you do if you realize you have a few days to live?'' This repeated phrase on your replies has provoked my curiosity about Final Notice by Van Fleisher. I must add it to myself
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

stacie k wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 22:09 Before reading this book, I was not in tune with our society's views of the elderly. However, after dwelling my mind on the depiction in Final Notice, I started to catch myself with feelings of impatience when an elderly person was crossing the street and slowing down my plan and progress. I think the author has done his job to make us think about these issues. It is sad and true that so many of our elderly are placed in nursing homes rather than being cared for by their families. I desire to slow down and give respect and appreciation for the older generation who have so much wisdom and experience to offer.
It's a reminder of how our society treats the elderly. I hope more people would value and respect our elders.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

lesler wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:28 It's unfortunate, but a fact of today's society. I think if the author replaced "elderly" with "toddlers," there would be so much outrage. There should be outrage at this level as well.
I feel you :(
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”