Review by Tcharlyn -- 30th Century: Escape

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tcharlyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcharlyn.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by Tcharlyn -- 30th Century: Escape

Post by Tcharlyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape by Dr. Mark Kingston Levin is a science-fiction with a sensual touch to it. Like any good book, it has a romantic side to it, quite explicit and was given much focus in the context of the book. Literally it is an escape from a dreadful 30th century life in the mission to change the past in order to change the future.

It started out as using a one way time machine to blast to the past. Jennifer Hero, the captain of the team sends her team on a mission and sends herself to the 21st Century before the machine was set on fire. Everyone there thought she died. With her tough training and symbiotes, which is an advance technology in her blood that gives her a boost in whatever things she needs like strength, protection from radiation and many more, she survived the life in an abandoned island adjacent to Hawaii for four (4) months. A group of researchers then found her led by Dr. Martin Zitonick, who came to study the recovery of the reef after forty (40) years of nuclear testing. He is “Marty” to his friends and Professor Marty to his students. Marty found Jennifer topless on the beach. He was amazed to find her in excellent health despite the risk of radiation. She was initially tested for radiation but came negative. In disbelief Marty arranged her to be put in treatment when they got back to Hawaii. She bonded with the rest of the crew which had became her family and friends. They then helped her have papers to have the treatment and go to the University of Hawaii and pursue her graduate studies.

The story focused on the life of Jennifer Hero, the doctorate student that took majors in archaeology and physics. A blond heiress that is tuned to help make this world a better place to live in. She also helped in the researches of Dr. Zitonick in Marine Biology. Her new life was so perfect when her past eventually found its way back to her. Will she hold her sanity? Will she finish her mission? What happens to the family she nurtured in her new life?

What I loved about the book is Jennifer assuming identity of a heiress named Jennifer Hero that actually lived in that 21st century. It made her new life much easier with a fat bank account and an interesting heritage. I was a little confused about the theme of the book because it has so much archeology, marine biology and modern medicine in it. It was literally the story about doctors, researchers, archaeologists and high society people. In the middle of all the intellectual battles came the surge of sexuality. I was culture shocked. Modern sexuality was already acceptable to me but I did not expect that there could be more. It opened my mind wider but there are some parts I skipped because I can’t bear reading it through specially bed scenes. It was too complex for my imagination to bear.

I rate this book 3 out of 4. I found minimal typo errors in it that did not affect the gist of the story. The words used were direct and has less emotions which maybe the reason I can’t read through intimate parts. In general, it was a great read but for a limited audience. I did not give it 2 though I have difficulty finishing it because towards the middle it caught my interest. I did not give it 4 because I finished it not because I loved it but because I needed to make this review. The ending was not enticing. I can’t make a picture out of it. I recommend it for more mature readers ages 25 and above.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tcharlyn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Well the rating says enough. You did not like the book towards the end. However, it seems that something in the middle of the book caught your attention. What is it?
You have captured the key matters on the book in a good way.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

a very nice review. Well, time travel is only an imagination but enjoyable and full of fantasy. Keep it up!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Tcharlyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcharlyn.html

Post by Tcharlyn »

Thank you for the comments
@Paul78 what caught my attention was the vivid descriptions of marine life during their rescue of Jennifer and the mystery of Marty's personality.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I'm glad you like the book with minor errors. But, I'm not into erotic science fiction and a review of spoiler alerts. Thanks for your opinion.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Captain Jennifer is the protagonist who is hero of secret society agents in the 30th century. Syndos is characterized by a race of genetically modified humans who consider the natural human beings as inferior generation and want to rub them from this world. Jennifer hero has a mission to enable naturals to virus the Syndos with a genetic code to save mankind from destruction caused by immorality of genetically modified humans (Syndos). Thanks for your great review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

It's a good signpost - knowing that you are only finishing a book because you need to complete a review! And I like your review too - I'm in two minds whether or not to read the book..

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”