When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I think everyone involved in the situation could have a say in what happens. Even if your choice is to just stand by and do nothing, that in itself is an action.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I believe that everyone is ultimately responsible for their own actions so the shooter is mostly to blame. Everyone had a choice and yes people can be distraught about learning that they are going to die, but that doesn't and shouldn't excuse someone from going out and murdering people.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 13:02 It is the individuals who make any society. If each individual owns his act and acts responsibly; collectively the society too would become a responsible one. The tragedies in the book could have been averted if each of those characters had acted differently. Individual responsibility is the building block.
I agree that society plays a part, but how does one punish society? Who in society takes responsibility?
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

britt13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:23
GabbiV wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:41 I think the supplier of the weapons holds responsibility only second to the actual shooter. I tend to think more leniently towards the people that could have prevented the actions, such as guards or anyone at the shooting. But on the other hand, I think more responsibility should be placed on the people closest to the shooter for not doing more, even if you cannot legally do anything about perceived future events.
I agree. I kept wishing that the shooters would talk to their families when they got their Final Notice. These were everyday average people, not bloodthirsty criminals. I feel like if they had just talked to someone they would have realized that this was a crazy plan they had.
Isn't that the saddest, that horrible irreversible actions could be stopped through simple conversation with a loved one.
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 12:07 A gun is a tool. It is not inherently right or wrong. It cannot be blamed. It is the one who pulls the trigger who must take responsibility. Anything can be used as a killing weapon, from a rolling pin to a garden fork. A gun simply makes it easier and, perhaps, more tempting. Nobody HAS to kill.
You've said it yourself, a gun makes it easier. This kind of damage wouldn't happen if a rolling pin was being used. I'm not blaming the gun, whoever is selling the gun is in the wrong. That kind of capability should not be in the hands of regular citizens.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

:hand:
britt13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:21
holsam_87 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 00:53 I think that the responsibility falls to those that could have prevented the situation. Actions speak louder than words and showing interest and care would be one of many ways to help prevent a shooter situation.
So in terms of the book, who do you think could have helped show interest in those that were doing the shooting? I know people keep focusing on VitalTech, but I could not help but think that if there had been some sort of therapist involved in the process it would have helped. I know the watch said to go talk to your doctor, but I think someone who is equipped to deal with emotions would have been better.
You make a good point. A psychologist or psychiatrist would probably be best, along with counselors. It would depend on the needs of the patient.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Unless someone is mentally incapable, I think personal responsibility should always come into play. I am a firm believer of "if you see something, say something," as a preventative measure; however, when someone acts irresponsibly, they should be held accountable.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

The inventor of the watch it seems to be blame. The shooter was triggered to kill upon knowing that he will die soon .
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

VictoriaMcMillen wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 00:05 There is a theme to the book- responsibility - who is to blame. Corporate profit doesn't seem to take a knee to the basic moral duty to to what is right. On the flip side, I am finding that several times in the lives of nearly all the characters, personal responsibility could have been acted upon to prevent things from taking such a dark route. What are your thoughts? Who is really to blame; one shooter- or everyone involved that could have prevented the situation?
I love this question as I believe this is a major issue in our society today. Quite honestly, in each of the areas the author tries to explore in the book, including immigration, political corruptness, and business integrity, it's present in every facet. I understand how difficult it can be to go against what's popular or what seems to be the expected behavior or response. To me, it's simple, if the individual is allowed to make a choice to participate, whether that's wearing a watch or buying a gun, then they own the responsibility.

However, being able to place blame, or responsibility, doesn't fix the problem. My hope would be that if individuals would own their choices and the consequences, we'd see broader improvement.

Much to think about on this one.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

GabbiV wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 13:01
britt13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:23
GabbiV wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:41 I think the supplier of the weapons holds responsibility only second to the actual shooter. I tend to think more leniently towards the people that could have prevented the actions, such as guards or anyone at the shooting. But on the other hand, I think more responsibility should be placed on the people closest to the shooter for not doing more, even if you cannot legally do anything about perceived future events.
I agree. I kept wishing that the shooters would talk to their families when they got their Final Notice. These were everyday average people, not bloodthirsty criminals. I feel like if they had just talked to someone they would have realized that this was a crazy plan they had.
Isn't that the saddest, that horrible irreversible actions could be stopped through simple conversation with a loved one.
Yes, which honestly was something that I found a bit off about the book. I think that even having one or two have a pause or conversation instead of just jumping into the killing would have made it more believable.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

pricessbianca28 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 20:33 The inventor of the watch it seems to be blame. The shooter was triggered to kill upon knowing that he will die soon .
At first, I felt a bit of the same way. But like the FBI brings up, how is this much different than people getting told by a doctor that they are terminal with x months or weeks to live? Is the doctor to blame in that scenario?
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I agree that corporate profit rarely seem to take responsibility for bearing arms, wherefore, I feel that every character involved could have prevented the situation and are held accountable. "I am my brother’s keeper". :tiphat:
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

No, I think the responsibility falls on the shooter. There were certainly things that could've been done to prevent the situation but that is always the case.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Butterflybookworm wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 23:07 I think everyone involved in the situation could have a say in what happens. Even if your choice is to just stand by and do nothing, that in itself is an action.
So that sparks a new thought for me. Do you think some of the situations in the book would have changed had a bystander done something to stand up for some of the elderly victims? For instance, the guy who was insulted by the cashier; do you think if someone else in the store had harangued the cashier for his rude remark, the elderly shopper would have felt like that was enough and not sought his own revenge? I think it could have changed the outcome. People don't realize how much power they have. People say that smiles are contagious so if a smile can have a significant impact on someone's day, how would it feel to have a stranger defend you?
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

holsam_87 wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 22:10 :hand:
britt13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:21
holsam_87 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 00:53 I think that the responsibility falls to those that could have prevented the situation. Actions speak louder than words and showing interest and care would be one of many ways to help prevent a shooter situation.
So in terms of the book, who do you think could have helped show interest in those that were doing the shooting? I know people keep focusing on VitalTech, but I could not help but think that if there had been some sort of therapist involved in the process it would have helped. I know the watch said to go talk to your doctor, but I think someone who is equipped to deal with emotions would have been better.
You make a good point. A psychologist or psychiatrist would probably be best, along with counselors. It would depend on the needs of the patient.
VitalTech received a notification when someone received a Final Notice. They could have had a counselor on standby to call anyone as soon as they got the Final Notice to help talk them through the situation, guide them to their doctor, help them with the emotional blow that would cause. If they chose to hide their Final Notice (like Vince) those who WANTED to be there for them, wouldn't even know their support was necessary. But VitalTech knew and could have been a deterrent for negative outcomes without changing the feature at all.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”