Review by Sarah Tariq -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jason Conner, the sole heir of the Conner Empire, found himself in a grim situation; when his teenage lover, Tessa Warren, a Princess of Blaton, becomes the victim of an evil sorcerer, Raiz. The scene terrifies both. But the meantime, an extra-terrestrial spirit, Aluria appears. Jason Conner allows it to inhabit his body not only to save Tessa’s life but also to revive the lost glory of the city of Canton and his company, the Conner Incorporated. Jason, through his adventurous moves, creates suspense and thrill for readers.

Aluria by Tyler Cook is a paranormal, science fiction novel. This book is the first in series. The story is full of heroic tasks of Jason, his love for Tessa and fellow city-men. The unfortunate exit of his father opened the doors of Conner Incorporated for Jason, just at the age of 18. But due to his young age, he had to live under the supervision of Bonnie, the manager of Conner Estate. After incorporating Aluria’s spirit, Jason disappears for the period of ten years and reappears as a mature and shrewd person with a possession of supernatural powers. Here, we see Jason with a new and ambitious perspective to achieve his aims. His “Sanctum” is a center of all technological maneuvers, he launches against his enemies. Will he be able to put down Raiz, his biggest enemy? Will he win the trust of the people of Canton to eradicate evil, injustice, and corruption?

The book is thrilling and fast-paced. It doesn’t thoroughly revolve around dragons; rather we observe the daily activities of Jason, Bonnie in a quite usual manner. But the element of fantasy prevails in the whole story. Nevertheless, I found some gaps in character development. But I think the author would focus more on this in later books of the series. The supernatural character of Aluria is very curious. This creature of light uses light energy to counter Raiz and other evil happenings.

The story is mostly told from Jason’s point of view. The peripheral characters are relating, but as I mentioned earlier, there is a need to focus more on character development to make them more descriptive. Overall, I enjoyed the story. The transformation of a human being in a paranormal creature is an awesome idea, especially for young readers.

I would recommend this action-packed thriller to all science fiction lovers. I hope they will enjoy it. Moreover, I couldn’t spot any grammar issue, except an editing mistake. So my final rating for this book is 3 out of 4 stars. I will not grant it 4 stars due to some flaws in the plot. Though it never lessens the interest in the story, and readers would enjoy it wholeheartedly.

Aluria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Sounds like an interesting story. It has been long since I last read paranormal novels. Thanks for the review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Salsabila wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 11:09 Sounds like an interesting story. It has been long since I last read paranormal novels. Thanks for the review.
Yes, it's an interesting novel. Thanks for stopping by.

📕📖📰📓📕
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

Thanks for the review! I'm willing to overlook a bit of character development issues if the plot is good enough. :)
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Very nice review! It seems like opinions on this book are all over the place, but it’s nice to read a positive review for this novel.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Just one mistake in editing - that's truly a blessing for us readers. A rating of 3 is pretty good for a scifi. I think I will give this one a shot. Lovely review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Good review Sarah Tariq. I remember when this was the book of the day. I don't think I liked the sample but maybe I needed to read more to get into it.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Momiji1987 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 23:49 Very nice review! It seems like opinions on this book are all over the place, but it’s nice to read a positive review for this novel.
Thanks for stopping by.

📕📖📰📓📕
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Another book blurring the lines of sci-fi and fantasy! That's a trend I'm noticing more and more right now, and I'm almost curious to see if it'll evolve into its own genre. Seems like an interesting book; I may have to give it a try.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Sounds like an interesting story. Do you think it will be worth it for you to carry on with the series? I'm always interested to see if the story is tied up enough at the end to be satisfying to the reader, or if the author cuts the story short with intentions to expand in the following books.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

:| It has satisfactory ending and the story is fast paced despite the fact that it has subsequent books in series. Thanks for your comments.

📕📖📰📓📕
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a clear and detailed review.
Momiji1987 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 23:49 It seems like opinions on this book are all over the place...
It sounds as though the book is a bit all over the place! I don't mind a blending of sci-first and fantasy, but this seems like more of a mishmash. Coupled with gaps in character development, that's all a bit off-putting, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is a comprehensive review and I can see the book is voluminous. I have marked it for the purpose of reading this later.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Libs_Books wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 02:46 Thanks for a clear and detailed review.
Momiji1987 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 23:49 It seems like opinions on this book are all over the place...
It sounds as though the book is a bit all over the place! I don't mind a blending of sci-first and fantasy, but this seems like more of a mishmash. Coupled with gaps in character development, that's all a bit off-putting, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
The book is a bit all over the place. But overall the plot is interesting and I enjoyed it. Thanks for your comments.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kwame1977 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 07:05 This is a comprehensive review and I can see the book is voluminous. I have marked it for the purpose of reading this later.
Thanks for your feedback kwame. Hope you will enjoy it.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”