Official Review: Templar Chronicles I by Ray Slaughter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Official Review: Templar Chronicles I by Ray Slaughter

Post by jemgirl202 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Templar Chronicles I" by Ray Slaughter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine waking up in the future with no memories of your past. Imagine that you are a part of something greater but cannot remember anything. This is exactly what happens to Paladin the Blue in Templar Chronicles: New Players by Ray Slaughter.

Paladin doesn't even know his own name. He wakes up in a place called the White Tower. He is brought to the king of the White Tower. The king is named Tericles the White Sage. The king then makes him begin training with his soldiers. Paladin discovers that the White Tower is at war with the People's Republic of Sunora. They are described as rebels. He soon discovers that the White Tower also uses beasts called prowlers that are able to take on armies. The king is very impressed with Paladin's skills and soon wants him to assist him in battle.

However, there is one person that the White Tower seems to fear and that is the Black Knight. He proves to be very strong in battle. During the first battle, Paladin witnesses the cruelty and dishonor displayed by the White Tower. After another battle, the prowlers begin to attack Paladin and he is saved by none other than the Black Knight! After a series of events, he finds himself in Sunora. He meets Queen Theranda and the rest of the warriors. To his shock, some of the warriors are female. Everyone is skeptical of Paladin, except for the Black Knight. The Black Knight believes there is more to Paladin and that he has a great destiny to fulfill.

Overall, I really enjoyed this science fiction novel. This book is packed with action from start to finish! Paladin's character remains very mysterious until the end of the book. Even though he remains mysterious, he has great character development. His story begins with nothing. However, he is able to question where he is and if he is on the right side. He is a very noble and honorable character. He is not the only amazing character. This book is filled with great supporting characters which include knights, summoners, and intense female warriors.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys science fiction, fantasy, time travel, and action. The action sequences go into great detail and make the battle scenes very intense for the reader. The book does wrap up all plot lines and has a great ending. Also, it looks like this will also be the first book in the series. I am glad to say that this book looked professionally edited and I did not spot any grammatical errors.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The reason for this rating is because this novel moves at an extremely fast pace. It moves so fast that there were times that I thought I missed some information and felt I had to go back and reread the previous pages. There were also times when the point of view would switch in the middle of the chapters and there were times it wasn't a smooth transition. Despite those reasons, I still really enjoyed this novel. I am looking forward to the next installment!

Templar Chronicles I
View: on Bookshelves

Like jemgirl202's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I don't think I've read about a novel that almost moves too fast. It defintely sounds like something I would enjoy. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I guess too much of a good thing spoils it, so it makes sense that there is such a thing as too fast-paced. I like that you included that the action sequences are detailed - I dislike having to fill in the blanks authors leave when it comes to stuff like fights.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I generally don't have patience for stories involving an amnesiac main character, as it seems like a cheap way to build tension. I may have to reconsider that and read this book, though!
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

ViziVoir wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:32 I generally don't have patience for stories involving an amnesiac main character, as it seems like a cheap way to build tension. I may have to reconsider that and read this book, though!
Care to elaborate on your opinion of amnesiac main characters? Because I'm generally ok with it from a reader's point of view.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

GabbiV wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:40
ViziVoir wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:32 I generally don't have patience for stories involving an amnesiac main character, as it seems like a cheap way to build tension. I may have to reconsider that and read this book, though!
Care to elaborate on your opinion of amnesiac main characters? Because I'm generally ok with it from a reader's point of view.
Obviously, I'm not saying it can never be done well. One of my favorite pieces of media, the podcast The Adventure Zone, uses amnesia as a plot device. However, all too often I find stories with amnesiac main characters use this character's memory loss as the primary source of conflict. The quest to find oneself is exciting, but when conflicts could be made irrelevant if the main character simply had their memories back, reading this type of story over and over again becomes uninteresting.

In short, if the author balances amnesia with other sources of conflict, I have no problem with it. I've really just learned over time to dislike the trope, which is certainly just personal opinion.
GabbiV

Post by GabbiV »

ViziVoir wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:49
GabbiV wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:40
Obviously, I'm not saying it can never be done well. One of my favorite pieces of media, the podcast The Adventure Zone, uses amnesia as a plot device. However, all too often I find stories with amnesiac main characters use this character's memory loss as the primary source of conflict. The quest to find oneself is exciting, but when conflicts could be made irrelevant if the main character simply had their memories back, reading this type of story over and over again becomes uninteresting.

In short, if the author balances amnesia with other sources of conflict, I have no problem with it. I've really just learned over time to dislike the trope, which is certainly just personal opinion.
Thanks for the thorough answer! I definitely agree with what you're saying, and I think the same thing concerning the romance genre with misunderstandings.
Donnywl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Donnywl »

Wow! Yeah I never thought about it but they do use that same plot with the amnesiac character a lot. It's a pretty common plot
uchebest24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uchebest24 »

woo I like the story is really make sense thanks for the review
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I always appreciate a well-written and error-free novel, but the pace and some of the names you mentioned don't suit my taste. Your review was informative and enjoyable to read though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Intriguing premise! I like the foundation and the ideology of the story. The action and fantasy works well. I personally have not looked upon a book that is about female warriors, I think its good to check it out! Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 06:40 Wow! I don't think I've read about a novel that almost moves too fast. It defintely sounds like something I would enjoy. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Yes, I felt like the story kept going but I wanted to know more of what was happening. I felt a little left out at times. But it was a fun story! Thanks!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

jemgirl202 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 12:44 Imagine waking up in the future with no memories of your past. Imagine that you are a part of something greater but cannot remember anything.
I have tried for about five minutes now, and I cannot imagine this! Thank you for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I understand your frustration with confusion POV transitions. In my opinion, authors should stick to an omniscient narrator if they wish us to see the world through multiple characters' eyes. Thanks for the thorough review!
roamnoor
Currently Reading: God? Very Probably
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roamnoor.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by roamnoor »

The review that you submitted got me interested to want to read the book. I love reading such books.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”