What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

Yes, that is a problem, and one that the author admits to, in the "preaching to the choir" comment at the beginning. It would be interesting to use this book as a talking point, but I fear the right-leaning, pro-gun crowd would become defensive in the face of the tone and portrayal of them. It might shut down the conversation before it could go anywhere. In order to change minds, you need to give people room to see alternatives instead of doubling down on their initial argument.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I believe that a novel such as this is much needed to create positive cultural change in the world. If the lives of these immigrants could be truly felt by other Americans maybe all of this bigotry would cease to exist and we could actually be the last of the free and the brave. The author could have done more to show the inner workings of the NRA, or develop a character to show more of their perception. I wonder if there are any employees shaking the trees for change within the NRA, or what do they do to employees that try to help bring about positive change that cuts into the profits?
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I feel like this book doesn't necessarily invoke cultural change. Instead, it seems to reflect it. The books that most inspire change are those that appeal to both sides of an argument, while still presenting a clear point of view. If no one with an opinion that opposes the author reads the book, cultural change can't possibly happen. In this case, it's extremely unlikely anyone in favor of deregulated gun ownership would pick up this book.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Media is a platform that transmits information about culture more readily and also makes culture more volatile and tangible. Whilst creative media makes culture more effective, it is hard to control what comes afterwards. Even though technology had advanced human living condition, it has made people a bit lazy and too dependent on it and also changed the way humans interact with each other. In some cases, people are texting or answering cell phones while driving... a recipe for disaster..Not every one decides to have self control and use things in moderation.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

ViziVoir wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:22 I feel like this book doesn't necessarily invoke cultural change. Instead, it seems to reflect it. The books that most inspire change are those that appeal to both sides of an argument, while still presenting a clear point of view. If no one with an opinion that opposes the author reads the book, cultural change can't possibly happen. In this case, it's extremely unlikely anyone in favor of deregulated gun ownership would pick up this book.
Well put ViziVoir. This book doesn't state any new thoughts to our American culture. It only reiterates them. For those who share the same beliefs the book will reinforce them. For those on the opposite side will simply ignore it.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A superb and relevant question as it touches on the entire purpose of the novel. With an increasing individualistic population, the book forces dialogue in devisive topics like free availability of guns and the role of the powerful gun lobby group in maintenance of the status quo.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I believe his book was a fantastic attempt at inspiring cultural change. The unfortunate part of it is that if people really don't want cultural change, then stories such as this won't reach them. People must be willing to first read the book to let it affect their perspective and that is something the author, unfortunately, has no control over. It reminds me of his examples in the book about how each side sticks to certain news stories. The real struggle would be to get people on the other side to read the book in the first place.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

The author did a great job in pointing out how the NRA and other entities go about pushing their agendas. I also liked how he pointed out Fake News. I would like to say that this book could change or open the minds of people in our society, but I really do not see that happening. It seems that along the way, we have become a country of spoon-fed people that do not look further than what we see on our devices.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

lavellan wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 14:59 I agree that creative media can have a huge impact. However, I think that most people who need to read the book will not. If the book was adapted into a movie, it may be able to reach a larger audience as the time commitment is smaller than that of a book.
I agree with this thought. I have a few friends who will tell you they haven't read a book since high school/college, but they go to the movies on a regular basis.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

lavellan wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 14:59 I agree that creative media can have a huge impact. However, I think that most people who need to read the book will not. If the book was adapted into a movie, it may be able to reach a larger audience as the time commitment is smaller than that of a book.
You're idea seems right. I agree with you. Usual media will make a greater impact.
legitmoney
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by legitmoney »

Actually the media is the one stop lecturer that lectures both the young and old not only entertaining the book shows the power of the media and change people orientation and how it can also be used mind changing
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 00:29 The concept of the watch would make a great episode of Black Mirror. For those of you who haven't seen it, every episode is a short story about a type of futuristic technology. It follows characters who use it, and typically shows the pitfalls of that technology. It's very much a warning about being too dependent on technology. The rest of the issues presented in Final Notice are almost all hot topics right now anyway: gun control, responsibility of the NRA, and immigration.
I totally agree with making the watch the center of a Black Mirror episode, brilliant idea! It would be really interesting to see how the show's writers' would interpret and portray these issues.

My parents had a view that creative media is a reflection of what is happening in society and that it can influence the direction going forward. I find truth in their assessment and I think the book bears it out as well through the deliberations of Trudi and Vince.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Awareness. Its not just an awareness of guns but about business too. That CEO's, and their board members, will do just about anything to get a buck. Its also an awareness that individuals don't believe in ethics, or have a moral compass. So its best to make sure you have one for yourself and know better than them.
VictoriaMcMillen

Mouricia25 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 07:43 The things we feed our minds usually manifests in our behaviours. So over time with the right stimuli, people will start acting according to how they have been programmed. This book made an attempt to shift the way people think about guns etc., I am sure it will get people to start thinking a little differently.
I really appreciate the understanding that you have here. Not many people seem to understand that "you are what you eat" also applies to the mind. I find living in this highly digital, highly advertised world, we are experiencing more information than we can process. I believe that this is also causing some odd manifestations in people. I find it even more interesting how you see things as "programming". Way to go labeling the phenomenon... I have been experiencing this understanding but have not been able to express it as you have. Thank you!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
VictoriaMcMillen

Mouricia25 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 07:43 The things we feed our minds usually manifests in our behaviours. So over time with the right stimuli, people will start acting according to how they have been programmed. This book made an attempt to shift the way people think about guns etc., I am sure it will get people to start thinking a little differently.
I really appreciate the understanding that you have here. Not many people seem to understand that "you are what you eat" also applies to the mind. I find living in this highly digital, highly advertised world, we are experiencing more information than we can process. I believe that this is also causing some odd manifestations in people. I find it even more interesting how you see things as "programming". Way to go labeling the phenomenon... I have been experiencing this understanding but have not been able to express it as you have. Thank you!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”