Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gracetailor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracetailor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Gracetailor »

I’m not asking you to be a bookworm, I just want someone whom the idea of reading doesn’t repulse.
Ese22osa
Currently Reading: Shellbee's Story
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ese22osa.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ese22osa »

People have different area of interest perhaps reading books isn't one of those for my strategy date so long he can read I mean able to read he could get interested as time goes on who knows? And then a suggestion, I could make reading attractive by watching books that are available in a movie format.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I used to think of this as well, and always thought it wouldn't matter much. Being married to a nearly non-reader for 5 years, it has been working out so far. Although he laughs at my responses to the books as I read- as if I was watching the television. I inspire him to find and read articles or blogs to solve his troubleshooting issues with his job. I am rubbing off slowly and I am glad my reading is amusing to him! :D
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
angiebluebird
Currently Reading: Drums of Autumn
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by angiebluebird »

I have dated non-readers but did not find it a good fit. I enjoy the intimacy of reading next to each other and even to each other. Sharing a book is like sharing an adventure. Why go alone when you can go with someone you care about?
Rumshez
Currently Reading: Into the Water
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumshez.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Rumshez »

YES ! My fiancé doesn't read a thing, that doesn't bother me though because it doesn't affect our relationship. Although, I'm passionate about reading, I think everyone has the right to like or unlike anything they want, reading is a hobby, just like collecting stamps and antiques is, so everyone has their own preferences.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

For those of you in relationships with non-readers do any of you have children? Does your significant other read to your kids or have they ever given you the impression they would not like to do this because reading is not their hobby. I think that would be more important than them actually enjoying reading on their own. Reading is a love I hope to share with my children and, thankfully, my husband is also an avid reader. I'd be concerned kids might be less interested if they see one parent completely disinterested.
kibeni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kibeni »

I don't think one has to read to acquire new ideas, although reading gives quite a high degree of ideas. I can date a person who does not read so long as they have another source of information.
Troncal2
Favorite Author: Charlie N. Holmberg
Currently Reading: The Fifth Doll
Bookshelf Size: 63
fav_author_id: 3263

Post by Troncal2 »

I’m married for 19 years to a non-reader. He can obviously read 😂 but doesn’t read novels. It’s not an issue for us because he does respect my love of reading (most of the time.... except maybe dinner time ;)
Tsundoku_diva
Currently Reading: Raising Catholic Children
Bookshelf Size: 1074

Post by Tsundoku_diva »

Hmm, I doubt I can date one. :/

What I look for a guy is our shared interest and that is reading or atleast hanging out in libraries. (Who does that, anyway?)
It'd be such a letdown NOT being able to discuss things you like about a book or hate about it. There is so much bonding in recommending a certain title to someone and articulating why he/she must read it.

But at the end of the day, when you love someone, your standards are often compromised. Haha!
naicme32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 »

I can, but I'll encourage her to read books. Books help us to understand ourselves, relationships, business, improve our believe system and make us a better person. I want her to be a better person.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I don't think I could. I understand that not everyone enjoys reading books, but you can read magazines or papers. The need for knowledge in an individual is important for me.
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by rnraa99 »

Yeah, I think I could but ONLY IF we had other common hobbies. I understand that some people just don’t like to read like my mom, but my dad is an avid reader (sometimes my mom hides his books because he goes on reading binges and never sleeps :lol2: ) and they’ve been married for more than 30 years. So I think it would be possible for me.
Sarah Culyer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah Culyer »

I think it's quite arrogant when people tell themselves they won't be romantically involved with someone who's not a reader when (excuse the pun) you can't judge a book by its cover.
I understand preferences and I think, especially if your whole waking moments are devoted to books, having a partner who is interested in something you love is important.
However, I do think it's nice to broaden your horizons and not have such a narrow view on people who don't read books. You might have other things in common and better yet, you may even enlighten that person to start reading.
Finding a romantic partner solely based on whether they read books or not isn't very productive if you're finding love. I think one question that could be asked is whether you find reading comic books or magazines as good a quality as reading a novel?
Each to their own though and preferences are important so if you believe that basing what your entire relationship might possibly be like with someone if they didn't like books then go ahead haha.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

Sarah Culyer wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 02:44 I think it's quite arrogant when people tell themselves they won't be romantically involved with someone who's not a reader when (excuse the pun) you can't judge a book by its cover.
I understand preferences and I think, especially if your whole waking moments are devoted to books, having a partner who is interested in something you love is important.
However, I do think it's nice to broaden your horizons and not have such a narrow view on people who don't read books. You might have other things in common and better yet, you may even enlighten that person to start reading.
Finding a romantic partner solely based on whether they read books or not isn't very productive if you're finding love. I think one question that could be asked is whether you find reading comic books or magazines as good a quality as reading a novel?
Each to their own though and preferences are important so if you believe that basing what your entire relationship might possibly be like with someone if they didn't like books then go ahead haha.
I understand what you are saying. But, as someone married to a man who hates to read (even instructions), I can share that it can cause arguments over issues like spending on books, time spent reading, and books taking up space in the house.
Heather_Mc
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-mc.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heather_Mc »

I would certainly like to date someone who reads, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker if he doesn't. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. The thing of it is, though, there are a lot of people out there who have difficulty reading due to learning disabilities (i.e., dyslexia), or who might have vision impairments. None of that matters, though. You don't have to be a reader (or even be able to read) to be a loving, caring person. As long as we click and we appreciate each other for who we are, dating a non-reader would be okay by me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”