Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
TrixieB93
Currently Reading: Shift
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixieb93.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by TrixieB93 »

1. Epub. 2. Samsung tablet, laptop, and then Android phone. 3. Yes. 4. Download file, after successful download click "open with" choose nook app. 5. Open with nook app =message "can not open this file!"
6. Yes, see previous answer. 7. Yes, nook app, Kindle app, and Google drive.
Sue Mulligan
Currently Reading: Troublemaker
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-mulligan.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Sue Mulligan »

Hi,
I am trying to open Raven’s Peak by Lincoln Cole on my iPad Pro. I had initially opened it in iBooks on my phone , but prefer to read it on my ipad. I am having a difficult time syncing the book across my devices. When I download the file from your website to my ipad, it downloads as a php file. When I click on “Open in” all kind of apps are available including Kindle, but it says it’s not a compatible file type when I click on kindle. I have iBooks, nook, kobo and my newly downloaded ePub reader Bluefire, but none of them show-up as a choice for opening the php file. I’ve tried syncing to my iMac, shutting down and restarting my ipad, but nothing seems to work. I’ve never tried to download a php file before, it’s my first time seeing that file type.
shi_vone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shi-vone.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by shi_vone »

I tried to get it through mobi. though i usually use pdf.I tried to get it on kindle unlimited.Yes to question 3.I buy books on kindle but only when it's 0.00$ on amazon.This time they said i had to buy or give gift card code which is not accessible in my country.Yes to question and Yes to question 7.I would like to re-download book on pdf but i do not know how.
Denndalton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Denndalton »

Hi, the ebook is in epub file formart, I am using an android device to open it and I have failed to open the book.The error message tells me that there is no application to perform the task.
Lugie2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lugie2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Lugie2 »

I'm trying to download my next book for review. I've already been granted one extension, and am overdue for my next update. Thanks for your help!

1. Book is in ePub format

2. Device is an iPad

3. I've never tried to open this file format on this device (or any other) before.

4. When I click the book link nothing happens. I have downloaded the nook app as suggested and tried to set it to recognize/sync ePub format, but the book does not show up anywhere, including downloads. The same is true for an iPhone.

5. When I click the book link, it flashes to indicate that it's been activated, but nothing happens. When I've done this with PDF formats, they show up in my kindle library almost immediately, but in this case the ePub file does not show up in either app, or in downloads,

6. No error message.

7. I have read through and tried the tips, including additional searches for more detailed troubleshooting. I have tried to find the file with both the kindle and nook apps.
Lugie2
Currently Reading:

Post by Lugie2 »

Hi, following up on my post requesting help with a book download- I’ve tried several times to download, save the link, open with the nook app (and kindle for good measure), copy paste, etc. but nothing seems to be working. The link is for <Fish Wielder> by JRRR Hardison. Am I missing something, or is the link possibly broken? Thanks!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lugie2 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:22 Hi, following up on my post requesting help with a book download- I’ve tried several times to download, save the link, open with the nook app (and kindle for good measure), copy paste, etc. but nothing seems to be working. The link is for <Fish Wielder> by JRRR Hardison. Am I missing something, or is the link possibly broken? Thanks!
The book is on the RT page or the Shelf? Books on the shelf are just for show and can't be downloaded. Please answer ALL the numbered questions in the first post to get help.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jakilleen5353
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jakilleen5353 »

Epub want to chane because epub won't download to my Nook
Nook
No, I have only downloaded books from Barnes &Noble
I followed the steps on your page by hitting dowload the book. After hanging for about a half hour, I get a message that download was unsuccessful. I tried to change to pdf but that didn'take. I tried to download the Barnes & Noble reading app and nothing happened. This is very frustrating.
Your Top Tips are not helping anything.I think I will forget this avenue.
Lugie2
Currently Reading:

Post by Lugie2 »

gali wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:48
Lugie2 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:22 Hi, following up on my post requesting help with a book download- I’ve tried several times to download, save the link, open with the nook app (and kindle for good measure), copy paste, etc. but nothing seems to be working. The link is for <Fish Wielder> by JRRR Hardison. Am I missing something, or is the link possibly broken? Thanks!
The book is on the RT page or the Shelf? Books on the shelf are just for show and can't be downloaded. Please answer ALL the numbered questions in the first post to get help.
The book is not on the shelf, I’m trying to download it from the review page. I answered all of the questions in my original post but never got a response.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lugie2 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 06:25
gali wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:48
The book is not on the shelf, I’m trying to download it from the review page. I answered all of the questions in my original post but never got a response.
There was a system glitch the other day. Please try to download it again to your PC this time. After that you can move it to your device.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tonibanks89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B079C1HBQ5

Post by Tonibanks89 »

6700 n Andrews ave suite 500
Ft Lauderdale, FL 33309

1.Mobi
2. Google pixel 2
3. Yes and no. I've never downloaded a book from a website that didn't have a link to a book app. I've downloaded from Amazon, Google play, and library apps but I've never downloaded a mobi or ebook to my phone. PDF sometimes don't work.
4. I tried to to click "open with" from the file manager. Received error message "no apps can perform this action.
I tried moving the file to Kindle folder. The file is there but not showing in app. I tried moving it to the books folder. It's not showing on Kindle, Overdrive, Libby, or Prestigo app
5. If a PDF won't open on my app sometimes I email it to myself or send it to Google drive and open it from there. That doesn't always work and didn't work this time either
6. Error message when opening from email said can't open file
7. I read the top tips and I tried Kindle and Prestigo, Overdrive and Libby. I didn't try nook because it's a .mobi Google play books usually works for .epub anyway
Rusticlanterns808
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rusticlanterns808 »

1. Epub
2. I'm tying to open it on my phone. I have a choice of opening it via the Amazon Kindle app or few others. but the file is in Google downloads and doesn't let me open.
3. I don't remember honestly, mostly no
5. When I click on the download to open my file, it says error and can't open.
6. Error, can't open
7. Yes
Tonibanks89
Currently Reading:

Post by Tonibanks89 »

Rusticlanterns808 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 01:40 1. Epub
2. I'm tying to open it on my phone. I have a choice of opening it via the Amazon Kindle app or few others. but the file is in Google downloads and doesn't let me open.
3. I don't remember honestly, mostly no
5. When I click on the download to open my file, it says error and can't open.
6. Error, can't open
7. Yes
You posted this as a reply to my post. I think you need to reply to the original post
Hatch7678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Hatch7678 »

1. I used epub when I should have selected mobi

2. Kindle Fire

3. No

4. The file downloaded but would not open. I attempted to download the nook app but was told no devices found. I deleted the download and chose mobi to attempt a download but was asked if I wanted to redownload on epub. When I selected cancel it terminated all efforts.

5. The process went wro g when attempting to open the file.

6. Received message "can't open file".

7. Yes. Tried nook app and was told no devices found. Tried prestigio and told it isn't available for this device. I already have kindle app on this device but when I attempted mogi I was reverted to epub
Tonibanks89
Currently Reading:

Post by Tonibanks89 »

1.Mobi
2. Google pixel 2
3. Yes and no. I've never downloaded a book from a website that didn't have a link to a book app. I've downloaded from Amazon, Google play, and library apps but I've never downloaded a mobi or ebook to my phone. PDF sometimes don't work.
4. I tried to to click "open with" from the file manager. Received error message "no apps can perform this action.
I tried moving the file to Kindle folder. The file is there but not showing in app. I tried moving it to the books folder. It's not showing on Kindle, Overdrive, Libby, or Prestigo app
5. If a PDF won't open on my app sometimes I email it to myself or send it to Google drive and open it from there. That doesn't always work and didn't work this time either
6. Error message when opening from email said can't open file
7. I read the top tips and I tried Kindle and Prestigo, Overdrive and Libby. I didn't try nook because it's a .mobi Google play books usually works for .epub anyway

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”