Official Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Re: Official Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Diving into the world of doctors! How do you reprimand a man who was your mentor? Especially if he's on the forefront of his field. Lots of human drama going on right here.
jayaitchmac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jayaitchmac »

Read the first couple chapters, really not my thing. The writing could be cleaner but I agree it looks professionally edited. I'm not a fan of love triangles or medical dramas, but that said it looks to be a proficient work with interesting, fleshed out characters and a good read for fans of genre fiction.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The Surgeon's Wife definitely sounds interesting to me. I really enjoy books that focus on the hows and the whys of what a human's psyche goes through as they age. It would be one thing to be an aging lawyer or officer, but having an aging surgeon is a completely different story especially since surgeons have to be extremely precise in their work. Thanks for giving us a review that shows not only the work but the connection between the characters.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Well, you’ve definitely sold me on this one. Character development is a big deal to me in deciding whether to read a book or not. I look forward to giving this one a try.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I wasn't sure if this book was going to be something I would enjoy until I read the review of it. It seems like it might be something I'd enjoy as I do like good stories about ethics, especially revolving around doctors and the police. I'm willing to give it a try.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I had trouble getting into this book. Maybe I'm just distracted. kandscreely makes it sound like a good book, though. So I'll give it another try later.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

Character development is so important and can be particularly tricky to balance with progressing the plot in a shorter book. I'm looking forward to giving it a read!
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

This sounds very interesting. I enjoy reading books that have excellent character development and a decent plot. I'm not a big fan of shorts books, around 200 or less pages. From your review, The Surgeon's Wife would most likely keep my attention. Great review!
Mercyline1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mercyline1995 »

The book mostly talks on about how people feel or take themselves when they think they have all it takes to be seen as a great person hence cannot be challenged. Surgeon Clayton Others on is a well trained surgeon but he makes a mistake when performing surgery on resident and his student Michael comes in to help and he succeeds but he's not happy about it moreover Michael has even taken over him he feels so much humiliated and can't take it though Michael just did it to help. Then the surgeons tends to spend alot of time in their career hence not having enough time to spend with their families and this is evident from both Clayton's and Michael's,Catherine and Rosemary, as they confess it to each other and they are not happy about it. All these people value class and Michael 's wife feels low as she's just but a housewife as compared to Clayton's wife who is so intelligent though she loves her and wants to learn more from her so that she also be a prominent and intelligent woman.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The book Mc Dowell was by William H Cole, I think I can expect a excellent reading experience in this book. Mc Dowell was a philosophical read and this book "the surgeon's wife" seem to contribute the fact of philosophy about reality. The character development is a unique trait in William H Cole's books. Looking forward for a great read! Thanks Kands for a great review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

Great review. Great book. The plot is engaging, and the characters are properly depicted.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I understand your point about the character development. I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the book
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

The sample is engaging and enjoyable. Hospital intrigue and interesting relational issues have me keen to keep reading. I have just started Part 2 and have a suspicion as to where at least one feature of the book may be heading, so look forward to reading more to see if I am correct! I appreciate your review comment about the author having a deep understanding of the human psyche. This enhances my reading mojo, even more :)
mkw9131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by mkw9131 »

I love stories set in New Orleans but ordinary drama not so much anymore. I am tempted to read this story based on the rview and the fact that 4 of 4 stars was given to the book. I think it be hard to be in charge of a former mentor so it would be interesting to see how the storyline is developed.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I have never read this author's work, but after reading this review, I'm very ecstatic. Sounds like a great book! Just the amount of suspense I need. Congrats on the review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”