Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.

What is your overall opinion of the "Final Notice"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lori_parker2003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by lori_parker2003 »

Had trouble getting through the few pages they give to check out the book. Found it slow and I am a pro-gun person so this biased my view I think. Probably will not buy the book to read in full.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Just read the sample. Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a good action thriller. Group of doctors creates a watch to monitor your health and vital signs and they even can predict the final days of human's life. What would you do when you find out you have only a week to live? The Concept is new. I will definitely give it a try.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I am still reading this book, but it seems well written so far. Parts of it are biased, but that was something I expected after reading the note from the author and the description.
I do believe in the right to bear arms, but I am reading with an open mind. So far I have not come across anything that would potentially keep me from finishing the book. I hope to visit this forum topic again to give more of my opinion.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Funnily enough, I got an invite in my email yesterday to review this book and I can't wait to get to it. I'm already staunchly on the side of stricter gun laws - NOT getting rid of them, just making it harder to get them - so I'm not even reading this as a dissertation on guns vs. no guns; I'm much more interested in reading about how various characters react to such devastating news. I hope to be able to add more to this discussion within the next couple of weeks, though I will say that I very much enjoyed the sample read and am at a 3/4; that's the best I can do not having finished it, yet.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I enjoyed the plot of this novel. It is so important right now. People should take it seriously in the same way we should take “The Handmaid’s Tale” seriously. Both are works of fiction that could easily become the reality of our future. I rated the book 3 out 4 when I reviewed it, only because (1) there were a few grammatical errors, and (2) I wish that the author would have created a character that would have appealed more to the gun lovers out there. They need this novel more than anyone.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I liked the sample. I think that the premise is interesting and invites thought.
The previous comment made me want to finish reading the book. I really like The Handmaid's Tale.
Greta Morgan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greta-morgan.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Greta Morgan »

I just finished the sample read and the review, and Final Notice is now on my Currently Reading shelf. The premise is intriguing, and I am interested to see where it goes. I am on the fence about the gun debate, but the notion that someone could know when he is going to die sounds like a good read.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I was not impressed by the sample I read but based on the reviews of others, it sounds like it gets a lot better.
RayleighG
Favorite Book: The Girl In Between
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by RayleighG »

The storyline of Final Notice grabbed my interest instantly, however after reading the sample, I can't say it'd be a book I would purchase and finish. It lost my interest quickly, though perhaps it gets better?
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

I read the book and it was amazing. I agreed with the author on so many things. Not to forget that the issue of gun control is something that should be addressed properly.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

Just getting started...intrigued so far.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

also, authors of the world:
Pay for copy-editing. Really! If I, as a volunteer trying to get paid, can get dinged for missing punctuation,it should matter when you put your name on something, for Heaven's sake.(Also, you are probably providing another writer with a paycheck when you hire someone, which, as Martha Stewart used to say, is a Good Thing.) Yes, I know, publishers used to do it, and they used to give you tours and throw launch parties and blahbity-blah, and I probably agree with you about all of that, but it doesn't absolve you from making your book look its absolute best.
If anyone ever asks to see more of my mystery novel, I'm going to.
Sorry for the tangent, but I've seen three errors, and I'm ten pages in...but at least, I'm really mellow about it. :)
I like the book so far, though.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I am still reading the book, however, I am not so fond of it. I am not pro-gun and some things keep rubbing me the wrong way.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I am about 25% of the way through the novel right now, having almost immediately chosen to download it after reading what it was about. The part that I liked the most is the interaction of Vince and Trudi. They very much are just a normal couple going about their day in this crazy world of this novel, wondering who is right. The descriptions of people just really brings the characters to light for me. What's rubbing me wrong though is that the NRA is involved in this whole "Arm the Seniors" campaign to the point even assisted living places are taking their residents, and then NOT keeping up with who buys anything. It's like they want their senior residents to start shooting up the place.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”