Official Review: Puppy's First Night, Featuring Sparkle D...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Puppy's First Night, Featuring Sparkle D...

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Puppy's First Night, Featuring Sparkle De Barkle and her Favourite Furry Friends" by Bec McGregor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puppy's First Night, Featuring Sparkle De Barkle and her Favourite Furry Friends is a beautifully illustrated Children's Book written by Bec McGregor. It is an instructional manual detailing how to take care of dogs right from when they are born. This information is aimed at children and other people who wish to adopt a furry friend.

The book begins by introducing the reader to a litter of newly born puppies with the protagonist being Sparkle, a Havanese dog. It states how to take care of the young ones through various stages of development. This information includes the behavior of the puppies, the kind of care they need and what is best for them to eat as they begin to wean themselves from their mother's milk. The author also describes what to look out for when adopting a puppy, how to and reasons to puppy proof a home plus the ideal routine to follow to make the animal adjust seamlessly to his or her new surroundings.

What impressed me most is that the book is written in three perspectives: The author's instructional perspective, the adoptive family's perspective, and the dogs' perspectives. These three perspectives blended and intertwined beautifully and provided a dazzling richness to the storyline. The language is simple and the story is well paced, with an almost comic book effect to it. I appreciated that the author provided a glossary at the end explaining words that might elude children. This is done in a child-friendly way, with explanations like
Breed (verb) – To put a mommy dog and daddy dog together to make puppies.
This made me chuckle.

The author also goes out of her way to provide information about different dog breeds, detailing their nature and characteristics. This section was especially enjoyable to read because it was written in the first person point of view, from the dogs' perspective and felt like each dog was sending out a resume to prospective families to consider them for adoption. This segment will greatly amplify children's analytical and decision-making skills.

As a dog owner, I was pleased to learn valuable information about how to improve the quality of life for my pet. I was quite shocked to discover all the things I have been doing wrong, especially when it comes to food. While the author mentioned foods that aren't suitable for dogs, she didn't mention what dogs should eat. Saying that dogs should be fed with "high-quality dog meal" wasn't enough. It would have been helpful for her to list the ingredients to look out for when buying dog food. The author recognizes her shortcomings and informs readers that this is not a definitive guide and they are free to seek additional information.

That said, I highly appreciate that the book seems to be professionally edited and I couldn't point out a single flaw in the writing. That coupled with the lovely illustrations and the aesthetic appeal of the pages makes me award it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a book I would recommend to children of ages 4-10, parents, prospective dog owners and dog lovers.

Puppy's First Night, Featuring Sparkle De Barkle and her Favourite Furry Friends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a simply fascinating manual. I don't have any children, but I do have a fur-child, so I'm always interested in learning more about her and how to better care for her. The multiple perspectives sounds intriguing, as does the section on different dog breeds. Thanks so much for the very thorough and enjoyable review.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

A children's book written from three perspectives? Sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing this review. Certainly got me interested in reading!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the name Sparkle De Barkle! How cute. I think it's great for kids to realize all that it takes to raise a dog before buying one. It sounds like this would be good for that. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for your feedback.
I hope you all get to read it and learn more about dogs. It's a plus that the author has vast experience interacting with both children and animals.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I remember when I first got my dog ages ago. I read all the books, and they were, without exception, pretty boring, even if informative. This sounds like something I would have enjoyed, just for fun, when I was doing my research! It is also great that it is children friendly, because they are often the ones that make it the hardest to train the dog. :) thanks for the review.
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kat Berg wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 19:06 I remember when I first got my dog ages ago. I read all the books, and they were, without exception, pretty boring, even if informative. This sounds like something I would have enjoyed, just for fun, when I was doing my research! It is also great that it is children friendly because they are often the ones that make it the hardest to train the dog. :) thanks for the review.
You're welcome. As a dog owner, this is a book I will read again and again.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Jenny2845
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenny2845 »

This sounds like a great book for all ages! The way the story is described as being from several points of view is appealing. I know my son would love to read this book. Thank you for the review.☺
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Taking care of our dog was one of my responsibilities when I was younger. I would have geeked over this book.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
Butterfly1987
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Butterfly1987 »

Sounds very interesting can't wait to read this book to my neices and nefews.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds cute and I like how the author approached the whole sex/breeding aspect. Always an interesting thing to talk about with kids.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book is interesting and provides valuable information about pets meal. I think think, this book will equally appeal both children and adult readers. Thanks for your worthy review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Children's Books”