The Stars

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
_mae365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mae365.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Icon The Stars

Post by _mae365 »

I knew a girl with pigtails that gazed at the night sky with wonder. She dreamed of touching the stars. Yet, when she asked for a telescope for Christmas, she was handed a doll and told that space was not for girls.

I knew a teenage girl, she still dreamed of touching the stars. She would speak out to anyone who would listen, eyes filled with fire, questioning why? Why is it, that in the land of the free, jobs aren't for girls.

I knew a young adult that would gaze at the night sky and wonder why she wasn’t good enough. She was smart enough. She was brave enough. Had all the qualifications. But she was a woman, so they turned her away. Why did they express a need for more scientists, then claim science wasn't for girls?

I knew a mother who held her daughter close. She realized her dreams of touching the stars would never come true. She still looked to the night sky with wonder, pointing out the constellations to her child. When her daughter asked for a telescope for Christmas, she smiled, and said, "The stars are yours."

---

I knew an older woman who cheered when told her daughter would be going on a shuttle mission.

When her daughter returned, the woman asked,
“What are the stars like? Can you touch them? Were they yours?”

“Mom,”
The younger woman replied,
“The stars don’t look bigger, but they do look brighter."
Rattyhatty
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rattyhatty.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
fav_author_id: 2531

Post by Rattyhatty »

A niece and short piece. A very brief but interesting portrayal of sexism. Despite not achieving her dreams, the mother was happy to support her daughter's dreams. Sounds like a good parent to me!
Ekah Emmanuel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ekah Emmanuel »

After reading this piece of I got to know that we may have been made by God in the same image but we are not the same due to the way we humans put it, we are the same but some of us are considered superior to others, some of us are favoured more than others, after reading this peice of work I now know how ladies suffer loosing their dreams just because they are ladies, how ladies are denied certain opportunities just because they are ladies. After reading this piece if work I now know that we all need positive people around us, I now know that we all need career pushers around us, I now know that I need to do away with any kind of friend or even family member who won't be an inspiration to me.
This piece of work is not the kind that I would just write (good work, nice jobor great job) I say this piece of work is excellent and can take its writer places. This piece of work is nice, I love this work. But to remain on track you need to put your brain to tireless work. I love this work
Ricreads2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ricreads2 »

Very nice short piece. What I took from it was the never ending power of dreams. This woman never gave up her dreams despite the disappointment from the lack of opportunity and when her daughter had the same dream, she helped her with it in a way she herself was denied.
JessCkuh34

Post by JessCkuh34 »

Very nice piece. Gives you a sense of urning for things missed out in your own life. Never sell yourself short!
Kaacee
Currently Reading:

Post by Kaacee »

I learnt no matter the challenge never give up ur dreams
[kp]
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by [kp] »

I enjoyed this piece. As a woman, encountering such things can be detrimental to growth and often being discarded because of their gender. This writing shows that it is our duty as women to continue fighting, even if the dreams we have can't be received in our time, but for the next generation. We pave the way.
Arielorozco

Post by Arielorozco »

After reading this made me realize anything that gets thrown in your way just make the best out of it. Try and think positive, everything happens for a reason

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”