5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Re: 5 Tips to Become a Better Writer by Caroline Blaha-Black

Post by BookHausJ »

Thank you! These are great tips. One of my dreams is to write my best selling book. In fact I have written a book already. But I'm not that confident yet, that's why I have never offer it to any publisher. But you're right I should be feel free to critics.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
princematin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by princematin »

Nice job ,good and educative script.I have broading my brain on the bases of learning how to write a book and how to market my work .thank you
coolfire2017
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by coolfire2017 »

Thanks for tips, it really means a lot to the aspiring writers like me.
JoshuaElvinaKKB

Post by JoshuaElvinaKKB »

Great tips for an established writer herself. And the best advice is the first one since we writers were once readers of some others work, we should still try to immerse ourselves in other writer's ideas. Great tips!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I deeply enjoyed reading this article. I think all points are quite salient, especially Tips 1 and 3. Many times as I read, I feel inspired to create a story of mine but the thoughts and so many different angles I could possibly explore to achieve that gets really overwhelming at times. So I'll just keep on reading until a story bursts its way outta me.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

There are a couple of things in this article that I've never even considered! I was aware of being active on social media, but never thought about posting excerpts to my work to receive feedback from friends and family, especially not while I'm in the process of writing it! I think that is a very good idea. I thought about freelancing many times, but I find that I'm always struggling with time, as I am a full time Creative Writing student and work part time. At least I get writing experience in (around my other Major courses :roll: ) and some feedback. Thanks for the great advice!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
lilyexpress10

Post by lilyexpress10 »

Your article has motivated me,because i have written two books nd now am in the third but i dont know how to go about,but with this i think i have a way. Thank you
nobunkum
Currently Reading: The Caucasus
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobunkum.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by nobunkum »

In regard to your tip about reading a lot. I heard someone else say that they didn't want that be reading someone else's work while they were writing because they didn't want to sound like someone else but have their authentic writing style show through. What do you think about that? When you start to write do you put away other people's books?
Marvin_g
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Marvin_g »

i believe reading a lot, helps ones vocabulary when writing so it is very important for a writer to be someone that loves reading
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

Excellent tips.

Writing is a craft that must be honed and given the evolution of online marketing and branding, the internet has become a great place to boost the readership.

I think that reading other authors is definitely a good thing to do, as it widens the horizons to different styles and means of expression. An author's voice is unique, and there can be many influences that shape it which makes it all the more special.

I used to think freelancing was a frightening concept, but being an aspiring writer for many years, it sounds like a good, positive method of finding an audience and those who will review your work.

Definitely a lot of good for thought, thank you! :)
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

Thank you for the tips. It is very helpful for those who want to become a writer someday. 😘 😘
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Patox
Currently Reading: Death Must Go On!
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Patox »

A very interesting article on writing. I found it very useful and I must now increase my presence in social media. I have not particularly exploited my Linkedin handle.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for these five tips. I want to adopt some of these to help me improve my writing. I hope to improve with practice. Learning to critique other writers to help with my writing will be hard. My local library does not have a group, but I will google it. I really think this will help my writing. Thank you again for this helpful article.
Randysgal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randysgal.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by Randysgal »

By utilizing social media of all kinds, I work on blogs, Facebook, Pinterest, etc looking at other writer's work, reading articles, getting suggestions, and sharing my own work. I find Pinterest to be a great and useful tool to learn as much as possible in the least amount of time. Keep in mind that much of the information found there can be less-than-good-advice, much can be worth its weight in gold. I also try to post a few sentences or a paragraph from each of my chapters for feedback. I find it helps me to get an idea of how my story fits what the readers expect. I get a lot of great feedback and am able to incorporate the ideas into my work.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Very helpful..thanks
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Return to “Author Articles”