What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

Post by Strongbob25 »

I actually really started to enjoy some of the histories over the last few years. Richard III and Henry V are epic, funny, sad, and everything you want from a good play all together.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It must be Hamlet for me. I connected with it the most at the time I was reading his books.
Destiny12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Destiny12 »

ROMEO AND JULIET
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 05:36 Please may I open a side-alley on this and ask about your LEAST favourite Shakespeare play? For me it has to be 'As You Like It' - though I am prepared to admit it may date way back to having it taught excruciatingly badly at school, perhaps if I saw a really good production of it it might help. Ironically, Rosalind is one of my favourite names!
My least favourite is Titus Andronicus - too gory.
I'm quite a fan of As You Like It, so I'm sorry you were put off it at school, but my favourite comedy is Twelfth Night. I could watch that again and again.

Tragedies? There's a special place in my heart for King Lear which I did at A level, but I also love Hamlet and Macbeth.

The play I most enjoy teaching is Measure for Measure.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am a fan of A Midsummer Night's Dream - due to a lot personal reasons. The most important being that I have been part of this performance once. This one is certainly better than Romeo and Juliet. Personally, I care more about these characters than those in the other plays.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

My favourite is the most commonly known Romeo and Juliet. It is highly amusing to read.
Lets take Romeo, everyone's romance hero throws Rosamund out of heart, minc and sight for Juliet's beauty (he fell for Juliet at first sight). Even more amusing are the serenades at windowsills from our unfaithful hero. If i were Juliet, i would say "lt's great that you love me but couldn't you do this declaration of love and identity debate at a more reasonable hour of the day?"
Moving on to our female lead, Juliet stabs herself to follow Romeo in death which I must admit took great compunction. But the lesson? If you ever need to fake your death please do make sure your messages to your loved ones dont get lost. Failing that, please try to think of treating them and doctors before you start kissing.
I love Romeo and juliet. It is the best comedy written by Shakespeare.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

I would definitely say Macbeth. I love the play between ambition and morality. The reversal of roles between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth was also very interesting. Guilt eventually overtook Lady Macbeth, whereas the taste of power only skewed the line between right and wrong for Macbeth. I thought that this greatly demonstrated just how power can change a person.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Of all his plays the one I most enjoyed was The Merchant of Venice. I was enamored by the cleverness of the story.
So take your penalty of a pound of flesh, but if you shed one drop of Christian blood when you cut it, the state of Venice will confiscate your land and property under Venetian law.
Brilliant !
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

My favorite Shakespeare play is The Tragedy of Richard II. I like how the book explores the concept of what it means to be human, and for the king, what his identity is as a person and a king. I also found how it portrayed the switch from succession through divine right to succession by power to be an interesting concept, something I had not thought about before.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Of the comedies, I love Much Ado About Nothing for the David Tennant and Catherine Tate rendition.

Otherwise, because I read it at the right time, Hamlet has my heart. However, I haven't gone through all of Shakespeare so this is my tentative answer for now.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" is my favorite! I love the setting and the characters and the tricks Puck plays on everyone.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

swirlofink wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 15:54 My favorite Shakespeare play is Much Ado About Nothing. I read it and watched a movie adaption my senior year of high school and I just liked how fun it was. I think it fit well with the trend in literature that was heavily rising then, with the sarcastic witty women protagonists. At least for me that's how it felt.
I definitely think that's why this play, in particular, was popular amongst my classmates - the sparing with words was just so fun to read and watch!
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Shakespeare wrote so much that i haven't actually read all of it. But my favourite would be The Merchant of Venice. I saw it on a theater play in our place once.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I think seeing a good production of a play makes all the difference. If he were alive today, Shakespeare would probably be astonished to learn that people read his plays. I must admit, I've never seen The Merchant of Venice live on stage - I'll look out for a new production.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I really like Much to do About Nothing, the story is amazing. I feel like it isn't given enough attention. I saw it on stage and that's probably a factor in my appreciation of it.

Return to “Discuss Authors”