Other types of ereaders

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Stanzz
Currently Reading: Herai
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanzz.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Other types of ereaders

Post by Stanzz »

I'm just kind of curious as to how many people use ereaders other than nook or kindle. I get that those are the most popular, but they're not the only two on the market, especially in other countries.
I personally use a Tolino, but I got that in a hugendubel when I was studying abroad in Germany. I personally find it a lot better than kindle or nook, but mostly because it lacks a proprietary format and is incredibly simple to use.
It's funny how "kindle" is sort of turning into another band-aid or kleenex. Even I sometimes jokingly call my Tolino "Herr Kindle".
Do you use something other than nook/kindle/their respective apps? Do you still call it that as a shorthand?
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I use Kobo. I liked the size, because it is a bit bigger than most of the other readers in the same price range and I wanted to use it for comics also. But as much as I love other aspects of it, reading pdf files on it just gives me headaches.
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

I've heard good things about the Kobo, but I'm sticking with my Kindle for now. I've got the original version so it doesn't do as much as some of the newer types, but it's still fine. Probably wouldn't be great for image-heavy books though.

I have started reading PDF texts on my laptop rather than on a specific e-reader. There's a lot more glare than I would like, though, so I'm not sure that this is going to work for me long-term.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Am just another one of those Kindle owners.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
SDC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by SDC »

I use Google books. It’s universal on all my devices, I can pick up where I left off on any device and the cloud keeps my books for me.
I also appreciate IBooks.....for the same reason, except it only works with Apple products. I’m not much of a Kindle or Nook fan. I have use Kindle app, but to me, it’s too hard to figure out.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

There are many different types of readers. Kindle and Kobo are the best ones that I have seen so far in the market.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”